Xcode 10 compatibility with latest MacOS

Currently am working on Objective C project and for some dependency reason this project cant migrate to latest Swift/Xcode. This project only runs/build on Xcode 10 with legacy build system. My current MacOS version is 11.6.8 MacOS Big Sur. If I update my Mac OS to 11.7.3 or later versions then will Xcode 10 work?

When I try to install fresh Xcode 10 in another Mac having updated Mac OS i.e. version 12/13 then I was getting error related to compatibility. And its is not possible to freshly install Xcode 10 in latest MacOS.

So my question is will my project runs/build or Xcode 10 is compatible if I update current macOS from 11.6.8 to 11.7.3 or later versions?

Replies

Our fabulous Developer > Support > Articles > Xcode doc has a clear spec for the minimum OS version required for each version of Xcode, but it doesn’t have any info about the maximum version )-:

Xcode 10 was associated with the macOS 10.14 releases so I’m kinda surprised it runs on macOS 11 at all. Given that, I’d be very reluctant to mess with a system that currently works. If it’s critical that you update, I recommend that you preflight the update in a VM first. So, install 11.7.3 in a VM and see if your build system works there before updating your main machine.

Regardless, your next step here should be to fix your build system. Your current approach is not going to be sustainable in the long term.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"