Apple Watch cannot reconnect

None of my existing apps (both in-AppStore and in-development) nor even a brand new WatchOS app can be installed to my Apple Watch. While using Xcode to build and deploy to my Watch, I get this:

”Waiting to reconnect to Apple Watch Xcode will continue when the operation completes.”

However, this dialog persists and never completes.

I’m running all of the latest: MacOS 14 beta 4, Xcode 15 beta 5, Watch OS 10 beta 4, iOS 17 beta 4.

I’ve tried resetting my Watch (with “Erase All” option) and restarting the Mac, the phone and the watch.

Any help?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of CryptoKoa Down vote post of CryptoKoa
8.3k views
  • What do you see as the state of the device in output of xcrun devicectl list devices? What is the output of xcrun devicectl device info ddiServices --device <identifier> --verbose? Can you collect an xcrun devicectl diagnose while this is happening and include it in a bug report?

• Done! FB12845184

• Xcode 15 beta 7 here (still not working). The terminal this time however claims it's paired:

Apple Watch Series 5 *** XXXXXX-EA2A-4FB3-XXXXX-XXXXXXX available (paired) Watch5,2 iPhone 14 Pro Max *** XXXXXXX-0012-XXXXXXX connected (no DDI) iPhone 14 Pro Max (iPhone15,3)

And:

devicectl device info ddiServices --device XXXXXX-EA2A-4FB3-XXXXX-XXXXXXX --verbose

Using verbose logging. ERROR: The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation timed out (NSPOSIXErrorDomain error 60.)

Replies

It's not working for me either - exact same message in Xcode 15 Beta 6. I see this:

xcrun devicectl list devices
xcrun: error: sh -c '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuild -sdk /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk -find devicectl 2> /dev/null' failed with exit code 17664: (null) (errno=Invalid argument)
xcrun: error: unable to find utility "devicectl", not a developer tool or in PATH

Getting:

/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/devicectl device info ddiServices --device UUID_HERE --verbose
Using verbose logging.
ERROR: The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation timed out (NSPOSIXErrorDomain error 60.)

I've tried everything as well - not connecting with Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 10 (21R5295g) and Xcode 15 beta 6. Either says "Connecting ..." or "Waiting..." and keeps switching between the two. Unable to test the app.

Submitted report: FB12925643

I have been experiencing the same issue in the latest betas without any luck trying everything I can think of, has anyone found a solution? I have also filed a report about the issue: FB13022879

Seeing the same issue with Xcode 15 Beta 7 even though it says watchOS connectivity has been resolved. see "Waiting to reconnect to Apple Watch Series 5" and then a "Connecting to Apple Watch Series 5" message and it keeps switching between the two

Seeing the same issue with Xcode 15 Beta 7 even though it says watchOS connectivity has been resolved.

It says Waiting to reconnect to Apple Watch van Mark, Xcode will continue when the operation completes. (See image)

I tried:

• Completly erasing the Apple Watch
  • Update iPhone to the latest Public Beta version
  • Update Apple Watch to latest Public Beta version
  • Repair the Apple Watch with the iPhone
  • Connecting the iPhone with a cable

Nothing helped.

Xcode 15 Beta 8 the issue has not been resolved.

• Updated iPhone en Watch to the latest developer version
  • Unpaired the Watch and then pair it again
  • Turned Wifi off on the Mac, Turned it back on
  • Opened the Watch app on the iPhone
  • Turned airplane mode on all and back on
  • Deleted everything in the cache (~/Library/Developer/Xcode)

Nothing works.

Add a Comment

For me it works after I ensure that watch, phone and laptop are connected to the same WiFi network. Also once it helped to plug USB cable from phone to different port of laptop.

• Putting the watch, phone, and laptop in the same wifi network is what worked for me too. Why does this need to be the case?

• It work for me to put your iPhone, Apple Watch, and Mac in the same WiFi network.

Add a Comment

Just installed Sonoma and I'm having this issue now as well, no idea how to fix it.

Certainly! Here's an improved version of your forum response:

In Xcode Beta 8, I encountered the same problem. Here's how I resolved it:

1. Navigate to Manage Run Destinations.
  2. Remove the watch from the list.
  3. Set everything up from the beginning.
  4. Connect the phone using a USB cable.
  5. Add the watch back to the list.

This approach worked for me and resolved the issue. I hope it helps!

• This worked for me, Thanks!

• It doesn't work for me; I've followed the same steps.

• What, exactly, is "Set everything up from the beginning."?

I have the same issue. When the Apple Watch tries to reconnect, I noticed that an error message flashes, which I was able to capture through screen recording.

Hi, Bruno! I had the same situation at start as you: no serial number, no watchOS number.

Then I turned on wifi on watches, so all my devices (macbook, iPhone and watch) were in the same network. after that all these numbers appeared, but still no connection, "trying to connect..."

Then I unpaired iPhone and watch from the "Manage Run Destination" menu, and started all over.

First connected my iPhone through a cable to MacBook (developer mode is on) - no problem. But now on the watches appeared the same menu under privacy settings developer mode - and it was - off. Then Xcode said fetching debug symbols... all that stuff. and it works eventually

I wish you luck, I was banging my head a long time

Here's what worked for me:

Conditions

• Xcode 15.0;
  • iPhone already available as a Run Destination;
  • Watch is shown in the list, but no information about it is displayed, status switched between "Connecting" and "Waiting to reconnect";
  • watchOS 10.0.1;
  • Shared WiFi network.

Steps

1. In Xcode, open Window > Devices and Simulators;

2. Connect iPhone with a cable (not sure if this step is required);

• At this stage, watch is in the "Devices" list, no information about it is displayed, status of the watch switches between "Connecting" and "Waiting to reconnect".
  1. On the watch, go to Settings > WiFi, make sure WiFi is on and select the WiFi network;
  • At this stage, Xcode clearly connected to the watch and the note under the status changed to "Enable developer mode".
  1. On the watch, go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Developer mode (at the very bottom of the list);
  • Watch restarted, asked to trust the Mac again, all permissions were given.

Xcode attempted to reconnect and, after a short while, connected to the watch successfully and started the pairing process. The whole procedure took a few minutes and now the watch is available as a Run Destination.

p.s. Xcode statuses are "rough approximations" from memory, all steps might not be necessary.

• A corollary to this approach is to make sure that your watch, phone and Mac are all on the same network. As most complaints about this issue seem to be related to Apple Watch Series 5 or earlier, and Apple Watch before Series 6 could not connect to 5.2 Ghz wifi, I have a feeling a lot of people are having connectivity issues because their watches aren't connected to the same wifi network as their other devices. ymmv

• Thanks so much for spelling this out, saved me quite some time. Note that after enabling development mode and restarting, Xcode's connection and setup will still take some time (~8 minutes on an M1 and Series 4).

• Thank you. Works exactly as you described. Need WiFi to turn on Developer mode, and after that it eventually works

Add a Comment

i did every possible thing, nothing helps