External Hard Drive Shows in Finder, But Won't Mount to MacBook Pro When Clicked

TLDR: WD External Hard Drive shows in finder and in NTFS/WD software but won't mount when pressed.

I have two WD External Hard Drives, a 1 and 4 TB Drive. I am a graphic designer and like keeping photography, videos and assets or old projects on other drives so they don't take up space on my computer.

A couple months ago one of my 4 TB Drive wouldn't mount to my computer, and after messing with the WD software that I had installed on my computer for a few hours I gave up and decided to just start saving stuff onto my computer.

While working in Photoshop I got the error that my Scratch Disks were full and that I needed to free up some space, so I tried off loading some undergrad work onto my 1TB Drive and had the same issue. I tried using different cords, reinstalling software, and troubleshooting to no avail. I live pretty far from the nearest Genius Bar so I thought I'd try posting here before scheduling a appointment.

Reminder that I can physically click the "Mount" button, but it gives me loading animation for a second then reverts back to the same "Mount" button as before and the drive doesn't show on my desktop or in my Finder.

Replies

We appreciate your interest in participating in the forums! These forums are for questions about developing software and accessories for Apple platforms. Your question seems related to a consumer feature and is better suited for the Apple Support Communities