Upcoming Support for Background Notifications in PWAs on Safari?

Hello,

I am developing a PWA (Progressive Web App) for schedule management and I'd like to implement a feature where users receive notifications at specified times, even when offline. Currently, notifications appear while the PWA is active in the foreground, but they do not appear when the app is in the background. I understand that Safari currently only supports push notifications and not local notifications.

I am curious to know if there are any plans or upcoming support for this feature in Safari for PWAs. Could you please provide any insight or updates on this matter?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Answered by Apple Designer in 763086022

Sending a Web Push notification at the time of the event is a great solution here. Web apps on iOS, macOS Sonoma, and websites in Safari on macOS Ventura or later all receive web push notifications even when the app is not running.

As for "scheduled notifications" from a web standards standpoint, that doesn't exist in the Notifications API standard

Someone had requested it many years ago, but that was before anybody's Web Push implementation worked without the browser running.

Accepted Answer

Sending a Web Push notification at the time of the event is a great solution here. Web apps on iOS, macOS Sonoma, and websites in Safari on macOS Ventura or later all receive web push notifications even when the app is not running.

As for "scheduled notifications" from a web standards standpoint, that doesn't exist in the Notifications API standard

Someone had requested it many years ago, but that was before anybody's Web Push implementation worked without the browser running.

Upcoming Support for Background Notifications in PWAs on Safari?

Q