Presenter overlay causes AVAssetWriter failure

I work on a screen recorder app and having issues with the new presenter overlay mode on macOS 14. Switching to the "Small" overlay is fine, but switching to the "Large" overlay mode causes our AVAssetWriter to fail every time with the following error:

Error Domain=AVFoundationErrorDomain Code=-11800 "The operation could not be completed" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=An unknown error occurred (-16364), NSLocalizedDescription=The operation could not be completed, NSUnderlyingError=0x6000028729a0 {Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-16364 "(null)"}}

which doesn't provide any helpful information. I'm not sure if we're doing something wrong, but I've tried to reduce our code as much as possible and still get the crash. I'm not sure if anyone has any clues or is experiencing the same thing?

Alternatively, is there a way to disable presenter overlay until it's fixed? Our app displays a camera and uses ScreenCaptureKit to record the screen along with the camera, which automatically enables presenter overlay options. I can't find any way to opt-out or turn off the presenter overlay options which is a bummer. That seems like it should be controllable from either the AVCaptureSession or SCStreamConfiguration

• I have this problem trying to use and record the "Large" presenter overlay in my screencapturekit app RussCapture. Selecting the large overlay creates a "Loading" folder that is empty in the app Tmp folder. Changing video output adapter settings does not solve the problem. I believe I have tried them all.

• Are you using AVAssetWriterInputPixelBufferAdaptor? I was not using the identical output settings for both AVAssetWriterInput and AVAssetWriterInputPixelBufferAdaptor "attributes". Correcting this solved the problem.

Add a Comment