Xcode 15 overheating Mac

MacBook Air m2 with Sonoma 14 and Xcode 15.

When running simulator or preview of IOS app, the laptop rapidly heats to an alarming degree. According to activity monitor there is not excessive CPU.

This is the IOS 17 version. I saw a suggestion to try 16.4. But in Xcode 15 I cannot see the pathway to change the IOS version. You can create a simulator for it, but Xcode still only sees IOS 17.

Try setting iOS Deployment Target to 16.4.

Try setting iOS Deployment Target to 16.4

Same with my M1 MacBook Air! 16 gb

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with previews and the simulator. If you want to use an older simulator runtime you'd download it, then create a new simulator instance. When making it give it a distinct name and select the older runtime. Now it should show up in both the run destination next to the scheme selector and in the preview's device selector.

As for the performance issues you are seeing with the iOS 17 simulator runtime; this sounds like a known issue but if you want to be sure you could file a new feedback with the previews diagnostics, and we can verify.

Steps to generate helpful diagnostics:

1. Download and install the logging profile on all devices involved. Instructions and profiles are available here: https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/?name=swift
  2. Reproduce the issue
  3. Click the "Diagnostics" button in the error banner in Previews' Canvas area (or if the banner is missing you can use the menu: Editor > Canvas > Diagnostics)
  4. In the sheet that appears, click "Generate Report" in the bottom left of the sheet
  5. Attach (or make from the folder) the resulting zip file to the bug (will be named something like previews-diagnostics-0123456789.zip)
  6. Generate the sysdiagnose(s) and attach those too

Might be related to the problem described here? https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/734573?page=2#771879022 Some "Poster processes" which generate previews for the iOS 17 front screen are buggy. Above I've described a way to kill them, to get CPU down.

Xcode 15 overheating Mac

Q