Very occasionally a phone gets into a state where the OS cannot launch a notification service extension

This is about the 3rd time I've seen this now (in about 5 years of using notification service extension, however all the occurrences have been in the past couple of months so presumably its some recent instability).

What happens is a push is sent to the handset and is meant to get intercepted by a notification extension, except that doesn't happen - not due to an error with the app - something internally has gone wrong with the OS.

Once this starts the notification service extension can never receive pushes again until the phone is restarted after with the extension starts to receive the pushes again.

I got log from the OS when it did this and found there was an RBSRequestErrorDomain Code=5 error

[u A0F3A639-F287-4B0C-AADE-A6F547D91404:m (null)] [<private>(<private>)] Failed to start plugin; pkd returned an error: Error Domain=PlugInKit Code=4 "RBSLaunchRequest error trying to launch plugin com.theCompany.app.NotificationServiceExtension(A0F3A639-F287-4B0C-AADE-A6F547D91404): **Error Domain=RBSRequestErrorDomain Code=5 "Launch failed**." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Launch failed., **NSUnderlyingError=0x5faa61190 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=111 "Unknown error: 111"** UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=**Launchd job spawn failed**}}}" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=RBSLaunchRequest error trying to launch plugin com.theCompany.app.NotificationServiceExtension(A0F3A639-F287-4B0C-AADE-A6F547D91404): Error Domain=RBSRequestErrorDomain Code=5 "Launch failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Launch failed., NSUnderlyingError=0x5faa61190 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=111 "Unknown error: 111" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Launchd job spawn failed}}}}

Can file a radar but just posting here first just in case anybody from Apple know what the OS error code and hence the reason.

(longer console log available)

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of mungbeans Down vote post of mungbeans
  • Hi, even I'm facing the same issue occasionally. But, couldn't able to gather report when it was reproduced. Did we find any solution for this?

Add a Comment

Replies

Please DO file a radar, so the full picture can be seen in the system logs.

Please go to https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/ and follow the instructions for APNS (Apple Push Notification Service) to install a logging profile on your device.

Then, once the logging profile is installed:

• reproduce the problem, by sending a notification that will fail to launch the extension
  • include the exact time and date (including time zone) of the push
  • your push topic (apns-topic header value)
  • your app’s Bundle ID
  • the device token
  • full contents of the headers and the payload
  • any logging you have from the server side that shows the interaction with it and APNs.

Once the problem is reproduced, follow the instructions at the above link to trigger a sysdiagnose and attach it to the Feedback report. I know it may not be possible to easily reproduce this - in that case if you have an existing console log saved from the last occurrence, attach that for now until a full repro. There might be enough information without the debugging profile to see what might be going on.

If you are going to try to reproduce this, keep in mind that the debugging profile expires after a few days, so you would want to reinstall it periodically.

Hi, even I face the same issue. But, couldn't capture the system log copy. Did we find any solution for this?

I'm having similar issues but with CallKit

[u FEDD7609-8241-4C69-8054-72232D8665E6:m (null)] [<private>(<private>)] Failed to start plugin; pkd returned an error: Error Domain=PlugInKit Code=4 "RBSLaunchRequest error trying to launch plugin com.lockedon.callerid.CallDirectoryExtension(FEDD7609-8241-4C69-8054-72232D8665E6): Error Domain=RBSRequestErrorDomain Code=5 "Launch failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Launch failed., NSUnderlyingError=0x8f4c69410 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=111 "Unknown error: 111" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Launchd job spawn failed}}}" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=RBSLaunchRequest error trying to launch plugin com.lockedon.callerid.CallDirectoryExtension(FEDD7609-8241-4C69-8054-72232D8665E6): Error Domain=RBSRequestErrorDomain Code=5 "Launch failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Launch failed., NSUnderlyingError=0x8f4c69410 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=111 "Unknown error: 111" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Launchd job spawn failed}}}}

Have been looking everywhere for a fix but no luck. I'm running this on a Silicon chip. I also tried it on an Intel chip and both same outcome as above. What is interesting is if I create a schema for the extension and then run and choose the app it runs fine with no errors.

I tried running the app on an iPhone running iOS 16.5.1 and I'm getting the same issue. Might be something in the MacOS. I've seen other issues being resolved by upgrading to a newer version. But I'm not 100%.

I've spent a week trying to find a solution for this problem. Any help would be appreciated.