"Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory" iPhone 15 Pro

Full error message: "Thunderbolt accessories are not supported on this iPhone"

Attempted to reformat the drive to APFS and exFat with no luck. Tried using a thunderbolt 4 cable from apple and a usb-c 3.2 from the SanDisk box with no luck. The specific model of SanDisk is the Pro G40. I've heard online this is a power issue from the iPhone 15 Pro port to the SSD device and that the port is unable to supply enough power to these SSDs. I've also heard that the transfer speeds where limited to around 500mb/s no matter how powerful of a drive you use and I'm wondering if that's contributing to my choppy frame rate out of camera when recording 4k60 ProRes.

Could an iOS 17 update solve this power issue? iPads seems to work fine with these more powerful SSDs. Or would SSD manufacturers need a firmware update to lower base power requirements.

I'm no technician. But it seems like a basic fix. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, jmann32

The error message clearly tells you that Thunderbolt accessories are not supported on this iPhone. What more do you need to hear?

Also, this forum is for discussions about the development of software and accessories for Apple platforms; your question is not appropriate here. There are other forums for technical support and general user discussions.

"Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory" iPhone 15 Pro

Q