Xcode says I have no valid certificate, and will not build anything

It tells me my certificate is bad (doesn't have a private key), and that it needs me to revoke it so it can generate a new one, and I do that, and it loops forever. Oh and I get email from Apple saying it's been revoked.

Not sure if it's related but I also can't use a Developer ID certificate. Also says it doesn't have a private key. I even generated a new certificate using openssl so I could make sure I had the private key and the .csr file and still no happiness.

I also managed to kill my login keychain at some point, because why not.

I've googled and stackoverflowed and nothing works.

This is on macOS 13.6.1, and Xcode Version 15.0.1 (15A507).

I am frustrated to the point of tears at this point.

I also managed to kill my login keychain at some point, because why not.

Unless you went out of your way to do something different, the system will store the private keys associated with your signing identities in the login keychain. If you’ve ‘killed’ it, that’s likely the cause of your problem.

For Apple Development signing identities this doesn’t matter; you can regenerate and move on with your day. [And I understand that you’re having problems doing that, but bear with me.] However, for Developer ID signing identities this is a serious issue. Those are trickier to replace. I talk about this in some detail in The Care and Feeding of Developer ID.

Do you have an independent backup of your Developer ID signing identity?

The answer to that determines one of two paths forward:

• If you do, you can nix your keychain completely, recover your Developer ID signing identity from the backup, and let Xcode fix your Apple Development stuff.

• If you don’t, you’ll need to go looking for the private key for your Developer ID signing identity, per the Recover a Signing Identity from a Mac Backup section of the above. And while you’re doing that you can also try recovering your Apple Development stuff as well.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Do you have an independent backup of your Developer ID signing identity?

I should. I have an entry in 1Password that has the passcode and the .p12 file. And for the one I created yesterday, as I said, I used openssl specifically so that I would have everything it generated, and I stashed that in a tarball and attached it to the same 1Password note.

Your article doesn't tell me how to deal with the fact that I can't build anything -- Xcode revokes my certificate but does not create a new one, or if it does it can't find it.

So I did all that, got the certificate from my backed up login keychain, and... once imported, Keychain Access tells me it's been revoked.

The web portal does not say so.

And I still have no idea how to get Xcode-managed signing working.

Welp, this certainly looks like a problem:

sef% security find-identity -p codesigning

Policy: Code Signing
  Matching identities
     0 identities found

Valid identities only
     0 valid identities found

Unfortunately, fixing that doesn't fix the problem:

Valid identities only
  1) 769F003C52AC6942DAF0C5240B3824199F039C1E "Apple Development: Sean Fagan (8S9ZGBEAV3)"
  2) 227FA0FB4088D4DD3984EF98D12C8EBB2E28A5D1 "Developer ID Application: Sean Fagan (7C43638LX4)"
  3) B07B2C2AB9482E41ACE9868C1E74218AA7027FEA "Apple Development: Sean Fagan (8S9ZGBEAV3)"
  4) A4A8B5E37FC91C456E8333DB2ADB32FF1C225536 "Developer ID Application: Sean Fagan (7C43638LX4)"
  5) 7B1DE3A19E5EC6B80A8A07AA57887E446BF512C5 "Apple Development: Sean Fagan (8S9ZGBEAV3)"
  6) C93D0A9C57506C93B7D5A20925E40E5FD035C09D "Apple Development: Sean Fagan (8S9ZGBEAV3)"
  7) B5C7997E7231AB5AF3E86F84D42FA72B60501B13 "Apple Development: Sean Fagan (8S9ZGBEAV3)" (CSSMERR_TP_CERT_REVOKED)
  8) 2BDFA67CFF67D25E8CED067446F5D1B6E89CD60B "Apple Development: Sean Fagan (8S9ZGBEAV3)"
     8 valid identities found

The developer ID seems to be wrong, however? I don't know why it's 8S9ZGBEAV3 for most of them, and 7C43638LX4 for the Developer ID Application ones.

I don't know why it's 8S9ZGBEAV3 for most of them, and 7C43638LX4 for the Developer ID Application ones.

That’s pretty normal. The string in the Subject > Common Name field for Apple Development certificates is a unique ID that’s there for disambiguation only. In contrast, in Developer ID certificates it’s your Team ID.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Well unfortunately that makes sense, so now I'm back to frustrated sobbing. It's still giving me this:

I started logging everything, then launched Xcode. I have this log message which may be important?

2023-11-15 10:12:20.099861+0000 0xe0958    Debug       0x1ab38b             409    0    trustd: [com.apple.securityd:reject] non ev score: 111 lower than 1107 <SecCertificatePathVC certs: <cert(0x7f973b00a400) s: Software Signing i: Apple Code Signing Certification Authority> >

I have now filed a TSI request, because I am at my wit's end.

An update: this is fixed.

While going through and collecting information for the TSI, I went through Keychain Access looking at all my Development certificates. And this time, it said they were all revoked! It did not say this before, and security said I had a bunch of them. So what the heckfire? However!

I am able to build for development locally, which was the sob-inducing problem, so I can relax. And build again. Now to figure out how to get the Developer ID one working.

As always, thanks @eskimo and please pass my thanks along to JohnM, whom I don't think I know.

Xcode says I have no valid certificate, and will not build anything

Q