Xcode 15.1 is adding extra lines in between print() statements, sometimes

Yesterday, my code ran just fine under the previous Xcode version. Today, some print() statements seem to come with extra lines. I know it sounds stupid, but my code did not change in the meantime. It doesn't appear to come from anything I control, almost like some Apple code emits an extra line feed somewhere. It's just a Swift Mac App I built to make my digital art; otherwise, nothing else is incorrect, just these odd lines.

It's not as simple as just making a test case with a few print("***") statements, it seems to require other code to run in between calls to print. Most of my app is using CoreGraphics. It has no UI.

It's like when you see spurious Apple debugging info in the console sometimes, but it's only a blank line this time. It's not a big issue, just annoying.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of bigidle Down vote post of bigidle

Replies

Could you post a screenshot (with any private information redacted) that shows us what you're seeing?

My guess is this is the result of a change to console logging in Xcode 15. See the Xcode 15 release notes in the section titled "Console".

I am having the same issue. it is annoying but not world-ending. Nonetheless, did you ever find a solution? Thanks.

If I were to guess, I believe this is related to OS_ACTIVITY_MODE = disable, where some /n's are bleeding through.

Actually, nevermind... I turned OS_ACTIVITY_MODE on and there were still excess /n's without any OS_ACTIVITY_MODE spam in between.