Swift Playgrounds lessons not showing Swift 5.9

Hey folks! I remember some weeks/months ago to get some lessons with updated Swift 5.9, I'm just not sure if this happened while I was using Swift Playgrounds beta from TestFlight.

Anyways, I went back to study using Swift Playgrounds and all the lessons are using Swift 5.8 here.

I don't know what happened or how can I have the lessons updated again. Anyone else noticed this issue? Any tip on how to solve it?

Replies

Are you taking about iPad Playgrounds? There you need to be updated to the latest version and new App projects will be 5.9.

Older projects created with 5.8 version will stay as 5.8. To update those you’d need to create a new 5.9 project and copy/paste over the code and assets. Or possibly you could open the Package file and update the version there. I haven’t done that so can’t say if it’ll work or what the caveats/risks are.

No, the macOS version... It's a bit weird, it seems like the macOS version is using the iPad version (saying that due to some messages). That would explain why all my old projects/lessons crashed when I tried to open them since the last update.

I'm already using the latest version available.

I'm already using the latest version available.

What version is that? You can get that by choosing Playgrounds > About Playgrounds.

Also, what version of macOS is this?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Hey. Swift Playgrounds 4.4.1 (1863.15) with macOS Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71) in a MacBook Pro Apple M3 Pro

OK. I’m on more-or-less the same configuration and not seeing anything particularly weird. Can you walk me through the steps you took to trigger the problem?

Share and Enjoy

Any lesson is being shown as "Swift 5.8" in the lessons dashboard. A few weeks ago, I remember that the lessons were using the new Preview macro, instead the struct ContentView_Previews: PreviewProvider, for example. I also remember about lessons teaching to use .bold() (something that I think that came with 5.9 update) instead of .fontWeight(.bold) for Text views.

Another thing, in the "About Me" lesson, there are some references like "Swipe your finger up and down to see what happens" (translation may be a bit different, I'm using pt-BR) while the ScrollView is presented. It feels like the app thinks that I'm in an iPad.

Any lesson is being shown as "Swift 5.8" in the lessons dashboard.

So, for example:

1. Launch Playgrounds.

2. Choose Window > My Playgrounds.

3. At the bottom, at the right of the More Playgrounds list, click See All.

4. In the Learn to Code & Build Apps section at the top, the Get Started with Apps says “Swift 5.8 Edition”.

Share and Enjoy