Add Network Extensions capability to iOS app without joining Apple Developer Program?

I want to build an iOS VPN app for personal use only, so I need to add the NetworkExtensions capability (according to my understanding)

From Apple's documentation on "Adding Capabilities to Your App":

The platform, and whether you're a member of the Apple Developer Program, may limit the capabilities available to your app The documentation doesn't explicitly say which capabilities require being a part of the Apple Developer Program. I also don't see why I'd need to be a part of the Apple Developer Program to write software for personal use. Note that, at least to my knowledge, the NetworkExtensions capability does not depend on any service from Apple (as opposed to HealthKit or Game Center).

So is there a way to add a Network Extensions capability to an iOS app without joining the Apple Developer Program?

Replies

So is there a way to add a Network Extensions capability to an iOS app without joining the Apple Developer Program?

No.

The go-to reference for this is Developer Account Help > Reference > Supported capabilities (iOS). The rightmost column in the table lists the thing you can do with a free account (aka a Personal Team).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"