Help Identifying Hidden Bundle ID in Logs for MDM Whitelist Configuration

I've encountered an issue while reviewing logs from my device and hope someone here can shed some light on it. In the process of diagnosing an application behavior, I noticed that some entries in my logs are marked as <private>, specifically next to bundle IDs, which makes it challenging to understand which app or process is involved.

Here are the relevant log entries:

Feb 21 17:40:53 vCw-2 suggestd(CoreSuggestionsInternals)[30399] <Notice>: SGDSuggestManager: realtimeSuggestionsForMailOrMessageWithHash: com.apple.MobileSMS : <private>
Feb 21 17:40:53 vCw-2 suggestd(CoreSuggestionsInternals)[30399] <Notice>: SGDSuggestManager: realtimeSuggestionsForMailOrMessageWithHash: <private>: results: (null)
Feb 21 17:40:53 vCw-2 suggestd(CoreSuggestionsInternals)[30399] <Notice>: SGDSuggestManager: realtimeSuggestionsForMailOrMessageWithHash: com.apple.MobileSMS : <private>
Feb 21 17:40:53 vCw-2 suggestd(CoreSuggestionsInternals)[30399] <Notice>: SGDSuggestManager: starting dissection.

The identification of this hidden bundle ID is essential for allowing the specific iMessage Business Chat feature to function as intended in our MDM-managed devices.

Does anyone have insights into why the bundle ID might be hidden or how to uncover it? Are there tools or methods available that could help me identify this bundle ID for MDM whitelist configuration purposes?

I appreciate any guidance or recommendations you can provide. Thank you for your time and assistance.

Replies

By default:

• The system log omits private data.

• The logging APIs consider any string to be private data.

If you’re writing code to log, you should consider whether the strings you log are private or not. For example, a user name should obviously be considered private, whereas if you render an enum to a string to make your logging easier to read then that’s probably not private. Then, if necessary, add the option to override the APIs default choice.

If you didn’t write the code that did this logging then your options vary by platform:

• On macOS there are numerous ways to configure the system to record private data.

• On iOS and its child platforms:

• If the logging is from a third-party app, you should talk to its vendor.

• If the logging in from the system, the only way to record private data is to install a debug profile from Apple for the subsystem in question.

I talk about this stuff in Your Friend the System Log, and that also has a bunch of links to other resources, like documentation and man pages.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"