Reality Composer Pro - animate per vertex with noise?

I am struggling to figure out how to make a shader to animate each vertex of a model separately using noise. I watched a video on how to do this in Unity, but I think something must be different with how Reality Composer Pro handles the noise nodes?

For example, in this graph I just hooked up the noise node directly to the geometry modifier:

In my output you can see the plane is adjust per-vertex using the noise node. My goal would be to animate this like waves, but moving the noise.

So in this graph I use time with sin to adjust the UV of the noise. This seems to change the noise node to output a single value (I guess that makes sense, since I modify the UV, it results in a single value, at that UV in the noise map). So then, I take that as the Y value and put it back into the geometry modifier. But now it doesn't work per-vertex, it moves the whole model up and down (based on the single value coming out of the noise map).

How do I make this apply to each vertex of the noise map individually?

This is an example of the output I want in Unity, the plane is being adjusted per-vertex by a scrolling 2d noise node:

Replies

Dug in some more last night and I think you just can't scroll noise in the Reality Composer Pro shader graph right now. The "Texture Coordinates" seem to all switch a 2d (or 3d) image node (like noise or even a regular texture) to a output a single value, and there is no way to make that back into an image.

However, 'tiling and offset' seems to be the functionality that I want. Unfortunately, only the 'TiledImage' node supports UV tiling and offset. None of the noise nodes support this, and I can't figure out how to make a noise node be tiled or offset by using other nodes.

I did download an image of Perlin noise, and loaded that into a TiledImage node, then offset it using my example above and got similar behavior to what I want.

That results in a preview like this, which is sorta like what I want. I don't like the SIN back and forth, but I can prob fix that. The main thing is that it is changing each vertex. Just wish you could UV tile/offset the noise node!

• Uv can be separated then modified with add node then recombined to uv again. Should result in offset.

Add a Comment