Xcode 15.4 (15F31d) build error: The file “BuildProductsPath” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file.

Hello,

When I try to build my project using Xcode 15.4, I get this error:

$ xcodebuild BUILD_DIR=/Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/build OBJROOT=/Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/.objs SYMROOT=/Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/.sym -configuration Release -hideShellScriptEnvironment -project /Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/dsym_test.xcodeproj build archive -scheme dsym_test -archivePath /Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/build/dsym_test.ios.xcarchive -sdk iphoneos SKIP_INSTALL=NO
Command line invocation:
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuild BUILD_DIR=/Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/build OBJROOT=/Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/.objs SYMROOT=/Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/.sym -configuration Release -hideShellScriptEnvironment -project /Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/dsym_test.xcodeproj build archive -scheme dsym_test -archivePath /Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/build/dsym_test.ios.xcarchive -sdk iphoneos SKIP_INSTALL=NO

User defaults from command line:
    HideShellScriptEnvironment = YES
    IDEArchivePathOverride = /Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/build/dsym_test.ios.xcarchive
    IDEPackageSupportUseBuiltinSCM = YES

Build settings from command line:
    BUILD_DIR = /Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/build
    OBJROOT = /Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/.objs
    SDKROOT = iphoneos17.5
    SKIP_INSTALL = NO
    SYMROOT = /Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/.sym

Touch /Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/dsym_test-dvvdlvvpbksoxtdglgoqprywugha/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/dsym_test/InstallationBuildProductsLocation/Library/Frameworks/dsym_test.framework (in target 'dsym_test' from project 'dsym_test')
    cd /Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test
    /usr/bin/touch -c /Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/dsym_test-dvvdlvvpbksoxtdglgoqprywugha/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/dsym_test/InstallationBuildProductsLocation/Library/Frameworks/dsym_test.framework

warning: Stale file '/Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/build/Release-iphoneos/dsym_test.framework/Info.plist' is located outside of the allowed root paths.

warning: Stale file '/Volumes/C931_SSD/mkl/src/dsym_test/build/Release-iphoneos/dsym_test.framework/dsym_test' is located outside of the allowed root paths.

2024-06-10 17:04:45.163 xcodebuild[30341:2118659] Writing error result bundle to /var/folders/0n/s18rzzz559b9pptn33bs0yz00000gq/T/ResultBundle_2024-10-06_17-04-0045.xcresult
xcodebuild: error: The file “BuildProductsPath” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file.: The operation couldn’t be completed. No such file or directory
$ 

The project is called dlsym_test and is an iOS Framework project, language Objective C, containing a single C++ source file named file.cpp. Builds and archives fine, when done via GUI, I get this error, when doing the operation on the command line. :-(

The same project builds and archives fine, when I transfer it to an older Mac running Xcode 14.2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Mario

When archiving you need to select an “Any (platform)” run destination, so I suspect it’s working in Xcode but not working in xcodebuild because you’re not passing a -destination argument to xcodebuild such as -destination generic/iOS.

Also, when archiving from the command line, you shouldn’t need to pass a -configuration argument because your scheme’s Archive action specifies the configuration to use, and you shouldn’t need to pass an -sdk argument because the run destination determines the SDK to build against.

Xcode 15.4 (15F31d) build error: The file “BuildProductsPath” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file.

Q