Privileged daemon using SMAppService in macOS Sequoia

I have some existing code that registers a privileged daemon using SMAppService. In Ventura and Sonoma, the privileged item gets added to Login Items (allow to run in background), and must be toggled on to finish granting privileged access. In 15.0 Beta (24A5264n), the app doesn't show up in the Login Item list.

Is there something I should be doing differently to use this framework in Sequoia?

Answered by DTS Engineer in 790752022

Hmmm, something weird is going on here. Here’s what I just did:

1. I built a test app that installs a daemon using SMAppService.

2. I copied it to the Applications folder on a ‘clean’ VM, one that’s never seen my app before. This is running macOS 15.0b1.

3. I ran the app and registered the daemon. The system displayed the ‘run in the background’ notification.

4. I opened System Settings > General > Login Items & Extensions.

5. In the Allow in the Background list, I see my app with the switched turned off.

This seems correct to me, and matches what I’d expect from macOS 14.

It sounds like you’re seeing very different behaviour. Before I send you off to file a bug, I wanna check whether your test is (roughly) equivalent to my test. Specifically, my concern is step 2. Did you start on a clean machine? Or is this a machine you upgraded?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

15.0 Beta (24A5264n), the app doesn't show up in the Login Item list.

But does your daemon actually run?

Share and Enjoy

I didn't think to check, but yes, it's running. What's the methodology for applying privilege to a daemon in Sequoia? Would we need to conditionally open the Login Items pane depending on the OS version?

Hmmm, something weird is going on here. Here’s what I just did:

1. I built a test app that installs a daemon using SMAppService.

2. I copied it to the Applications folder on a ‘clean’ VM, one that’s never seen my app before. This is running macOS 15.0b1.

3. I ran the app and registered the daemon. The system displayed the ‘run in the background’ notification.

4. I opened System Settings > General > Login Items & Extensions.

5. In the Allow in the Background list, I see my app with the switched turned off.

This seems correct to me, and matches what I’d expect from macOS 14.

It sounds like you’re seeing very different behaviour. Before I send you off to file a bug, I wanna check whether your test is (roughly) equivalent to my test. Specifically, my concern is step 2. Did you start on a clean machine? Or is this a machine you upgraded?

Share and Enjoy

It was upgraded. Other than reformatting the drive, is there a way to 'reset' the system for a given background item? I would think that an upgraded machine should still show the app in the list.

I would think that an upgraded machine should still show the app in the list.

Oh, absolutely. My question was just about focusing the discussion.

is there a way to 'reset' the system for a given background item?

I don’t know of any guaranteed way to do that — that’s why I do all this sort of testing in a VM, where I can restore from a snapshot — but sfltool has an resetbtm that might be useful.

Before you try to fix this, please take a ‘before’ sysdiagnose log to include in any potential bug reports.

Share and Enjoy

Shoot... I realized that the existing processes were from a previous build that utilized SMJobBless. After unloading, the app does add the service to loginItems, but now there's a note that the process isn't signed, and the app doesn't connect to the helper. Guessing I should start a new thread?

Accepted Answer

now there's a note that the process isn't signed, and the app doesn't connect to the helper. Guessing I should start a new thread?

Probably best. Make sure to set the topic, subtopic, and tags to match this thread; that way I’ll definitely see it go by.

Share and Enjoy

We hit the same issue with machines upgraded from macOS 14. FB13886433 was filed with a modified sample project taken from https://developer.apple.com/documentation/servicemanagement/updating-your-app-package-installer-to-use-the-new-service-management-api

Privileged daemon using SMAppService in macOS Sequoia

Q