[iOS 18] Screen Time Passcode is still NOT compatible with screen time permissions for 3rd party-apps

⬇️ ANYONE ON APPLE'S SCREEN TIME TEAM, PLEASE READ THIS ⬇️

Let's summarize the situation.

3rd-party apps with screen time access can be disabled by going to Settings > Screen Time > Apps with Screen Time Access. That's fine.

Now, if I want to make it harder to remove my restrictions, I can ask a friend to enter a Screen Time Passcode for me. Great idea!

The problem is my Screen Time Passcode isn't requested when disabling permissions for a third-party app. It's required for modifying any other Screen Time setting EXCEPT permissions for 3rd party apps.

This is frustrating. The Screen Time passcode is a great feature. Making it compatible with permissions granted through the Family Controls framework is our NUMBER ONE REQUEST from tens of thousands of users.

This feature has been requested for a long time (iOS 16, iOS 17, …):

It is very disappointing to see it wasn't implemented for iOS 18. I can't believe this would require tremendous work from the Screen Time team to make it happen, but it would be a significant improvement for the Family Controls Framework and a ray of sunshine for all the developers who have worked really hard to deliver high-quality apps using the Screen Time API.

Could an Apple engineer or a Screen Time team member give us any updates? Implementing this before the public release of iOS 18 would make A LOT of developers happy.

Answered by Engineer in 793603022

Please file an Enhancement Request.

+1 it’s a logical addition, should be relatively simple to do and something the users want!

I concur ! This would make perfect sense. We also opened a radar for it -> https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/14051075

Please file an Enhancement Request.

I think it's absolutely meaningful for users while IOS18 doesn't offer this function,which is really disappointing.

We need Apple engineers to address this issue as soon as possible, we as customers and as engineers, deserve apps that work and help us to detach ourselves from using these devices to have a better quality of life. parental control and screen time must be a priority. and as I remember Apple has a reputation for providing quality products and this is no exception. This issue needs to be resolved as soon as possible.

[iOS 18] Screen Time Passcode is still NOT compatible with screen time permissions for 3rd party-apps

Q