Inconsistency in Location Services in macOS Apps

I am encountering some issues with location services in macOS apps. Despite including the necessary keys in the app’s info.plist, I am unable to request user location permission. Here are the details:

1. Cannot request location permission using requestWhenInUseAuthorization(), ie., no location permission grant permissions popup is appearing. The app contains NSLocationUsageDescription in the info.plist. I have also tested by adding NSLocationAlwaysAndWhenInUseUsageDescription, NSLocationWhenInUseUsageDescription, and NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription, but it didn't work.

So to show the location request popup, I was directly(irrespective of the authorizationStatus) requesting location using requestLocation(), which showed the location permission grant permissions popup. But then I encountered another issue. If the popup is left as it is, every time requestLocation() is called a new location request popup appears (which comes after allowing/denying the popup). Also observed that didChangeAuthorization is only called on allowing/denying the last location request pop up.

1. Initial calls to CLLocationManager().authorizationStatus return Not Determined.

When I checked the location permission state of my app on launch, I used to get not Determined for some time, even if the permission was granted.

Code snippet:

private var locationManager: CLLocationManager {
   let lm = CLLocationManager()
   lm.delegate = self
   lm.desiredAccuracy = kCLLocationAccuracyBest
   return lm
}

private var currentAuthorizationStatus: CLAuthorizationStatus {
   if #available(macOS 11.0, *) {
       return CLLocationManager().authorizationStatus
   } else {
       return CLLocationManager.authorizationStatus()
   }
}

switch currentAuthorizationStatus {
   case .notDetermined:
       print("requesting permission")
       locationManager.requestWhenInUseAuthorization()
   case .restricted, .denied:
       print("location permission is restricted")
   case .authorizedAlways, .authorizedWhenInUse, .authorized:
       print("requesting location")
       locationManager.requestLocation()
   @unknown default:
       print("Unknown error occurred")
}

I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions on how to resolve these issues. Thank you!

Inconsistency in Location Services in macOS Apps

Q