Preventing Apple Watch Screen from Turning Off in Wrist Down Position

Hello,

I am developing an application for the Apple Watch that requires the screen to remain active even when the wrist is moved into a down position. The core functionality of my app involves providing continuous visual and auditory guidance, and it's critical that the screen stays on without going into power-saving mode while the app is in use.

Specifically, I am looking for a way to: 1.Disable the screen's power-saving mode when the wrist is moved down. 2.Ensure the screen remains active as long as the app is in the foreground.

I understand that certain power management features are built into watchOS for battery conservation, but I would need this behavior to be overridden only while the application is running (the app would not be in the foreground for extended periods of time).

Is there an approved method or best practice within Apple's guidelines to achieve either of these functionalities?

Thank you for your assistance.

Answered by Frameworks Engineer in 794685022

No, this is not a thing. Apple Watch is not in Low Power Mode when a person's wrist is down (unless the person has turned LPM on explicitly), but its screen is either off entirely, or it's dimmed if the device supports Always On.

If you file Feedback with more information about the use case you are trying to support (not just that you want this behavior, but the goal you are trying to achieve), that would be helpful.

No, this is not a thing. Apple Watch is not in Low Power Mode when a person's wrist is down (unless the person has turned LPM on explicitly), but its screen is either off entirely, or it's dimmed if the device supports Always On.

If you file Feedback with more information about the use case you are trying to support (not just that you want this behavior, but the goal you are trying to achieve), that would be helpful.

Preventing Apple Watch Screen from Turning Off in Wrist Down Position

Q