Xcode-beta 16 - Can't start app. "Loading a plug-in failed"

When I download and install Xcode-beta 16 I get the following error with the app not opening. Xcode v15.4 opens fine on an Apple M2 Max running Sonoma 14.5.

"Loading a plug-in failed. The plug-in or one of its prerequisite plug-ins may be missing or damaged and may need to be reinstalled.".

Anyone know how to resolve? I am trying to experience Timelines in Reality Composer Pro and need 16 beta+ to try it.

Answered by Developer Tools Engineer in 795039022

This is a known issue. Check out the Xcode 16 beta 3 Release Notes.

• Xcode will fail to launch for some users. Users who have not installed Xcode 16 beta or Xcode 16 beta 2 will see a “Loading a plug-in failed” alert. (131066390)

• Workaround: Use xcode-select -s $PATH to choose Xcode 16 beta 3. Then run xcodebuild -runFirstLaunch. Then Xcode will be able to launch.

Let us know if that doesn't resolve the issue for you.

Accepted Answer

This is a known issue. Check out the Xcode 16 beta 3 Release Notes.

• Xcode will fail to launch for some users. Users who have not installed Xcode 16 beta or Xcode 16 beta 2 will see a “Loading a plug-in failed” alert. (131066390)

• Workaround: Use xcode-select -s $PATH to choose Xcode 16 beta 3. Then run xcodebuild -runFirstLaunch. Then Xcode will be able to launch.

Let us know if that doesn't resolve the issue for you.

That solution worked.

At terminal execute:

/code sudo xcode-select -s '/Applications/Xcode-beta.app'

then

sudo xcodebuild -runFirstLaunch

Xcode-beta 16 - Can't start app. "Loading a plug-in failed"

Q