Xcode-beta 16 - Can't start app. "Loading a plug-in failed"

When I download and install Xcode-beta 16 I get the following error with the app not opening. Xcode v15.4 opens fine on an Apple M2 Max running Sonoma 14.5.

"Loading a plug-in failed. The plug-in or one of its prerequisite plug-ins may be missing or damaged and may need to be reinstalled.".

Anyone know how to resolve? I am trying to experience Timelines in Reality Composer Pro and need 16 beta+ to try it.

Answered by Developer Tools Engineer in 795039022

This is a known issue. Check out the Xcode 16 beta 3 Release Notes.

• Xcode will fail to launch for some users. Users who have not installed Xcode 16 beta or Xcode 16 beta 2 will see a “Loading a plug-in failed” alert. (131066390)

• Workaround: Use xcode-select -s $PATH to choose Xcode 16 beta 3. Then run xcodebuild -runFirstLaunch. Then Xcode will be able to launch.

Let us know if that doesn't resolve the issue for you.

Accepted Answer

This is a known issue. Check out the Xcode 16 beta 3 Release Notes.

• Xcode will fail to launch for some users. Users who have not installed Xcode 16 beta or Xcode 16 beta 2 will see a “Loading a plug-in failed” alert. (131066390)

• Workaround: Use xcode-select -s $PATH to choose Xcode 16 beta 3. Then run xcodebuild -runFirstLaunch. Then Xcode will be able to launch.

Let us know if that doesn't resolve the issue for you.

That solution worked.

At terminal execute:

/code sudo xcode-select -s '/Applications/Xcode-beta.app'

then

sudo xcodebuild -runFirstLaunch

with these steps below detailed from chatgpt I could make it work now:

To resolve the issue with Xcode failing to launch due to a "Loading a plug-in failed" alert, you can use the following detailed steps in Terminal (Commander) to apply the provided workaround. This involves selecting the correct version of Xcode and running a specific command to initialize it properly.

Steps in Terminal (Commander): Open Terminal:

You can open Terminal by searching for it in Spotlight (Cmd + Space, then type "Terminal") or by navigating to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal. Locate Xcode 16 Beta 3 Path:

Ensure you know the installation path of Xcode 16 Beta 3. It's typically installed in the /Applications directory and might be named something like Xcode-beta.app. Select Xcode 16 Beta 3:

Use the xcode-select command to set Xcode 16 Beta 3 as the active developer directory. Replace /Applications/Xcode-beta.app with the actual path if it's different. bash Copy code sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode-beta.app Enter your password when prompted. This command requires administrative privileges. Run xcodebuild -runFirstLaunch:

After selecting the correct version of Xcode, run the following command to perform the initial setup required for Xcode to launch properly. bash Copy code sudo xcodebuild -runFirstLaunch This command will set up the necessary components and initialize the environment. Launch Xcode:

After running the above commands, try launching Xcode again from your Applications folder or by using Spotlight (Cmd + Space, then type "Xcode").

Xcode-beta 16 - Can't start app. "Loading a plug-in failed"

Q