detecting Phone Number changed

Hello, I am involved in planning a digital ID app for the government. We are aiming to provide various personal information through this app, including the consideration of including the user's phone number.

During the app installation process, we can collect the accurate user's phone number through SMS verification. However, I'm curious if there's a way for our app or server to detect when a user changes their phone number after installing the app.

I understand that Apple's policies prevent us from automatically collecting the user's phone number. However, it would be beneficial if we could at least know if the phone number provided by the server differs from the current phone number on the smartphone.

Answered by Claude31 in 795301022

if we could at least know if the phone number provided by the server differs from the current phone number on the smartphone.

You may file a feedback to ask for such evolution. But as even this provides sensitive information about user (know he/she did change), I do doubt you would ever get it.

No. Carrier apps can use a private api to detect the phone number, but there's no public api available to do that.

Accepted Answer

if we could at least know if the phone number provided by the server differs from the current phone number on the smartphone.

You may file a feedback to ask for such evolution. But as even this provides sensitive information about user (know he/she did change), I do doubt you would ever get it.

What mungbeans and Claude31 said but also…

I am involved in planning a digital ID app for the government.

There is precedent for achieving this sort of high-level goal without giving all apps access to all the user’s personal info. For example, -setUPIVerificationCodeSendCompletion: method was created to support India’s UPI mechanism.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

detecting Phone Number changed

Q