Using File Sharing

Hey guys!

I would like to use the file sharing option in combination with a Table View. But please note: I´m a beginner.

So actualy my application is running flawless. It´s a small 2 page app that should show file sharing files (planned: PDF and some images like jpg, bmp or png). But now I'm on the spot. I can´t find a way to use my activated file sharing option in Xcode with my Table View. I found a few links, but these all handle Xcode 3 or lower.

I claim that nobody is aware of Swift's scope and full options. Therefore, I would like to learn from your experience. What do you do when you have an idea? How and where do you searching? Meanwhile, I am looking the second day for a solution and I can´t find a conclusion. Whould you please help me? Thank you!

Replies

I’m not entirely sure what you’re asking here. Let’s start with clarifying what you mean by “file sharing option”. Are you referring to

UIFileSharingEnabled
, as documented here? If not, what?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thank you for you support! Further i should call such questions maybe: "Using UIFileSharingEnabled", correct?

In Xcode i´ve activated "Application supports iTunes file sharing". After your post i added "Supports opening documents in place" and "Supports Document Browser". All with a bool value of "YES". For my understanding, I would now link the Table View with the File Sharing Option. But i don´t know exactly what to do and how to find the correct information. So how would you (as a pro) find the correct information? Thank you!

Can nobody support me?

Can nobody support me?

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier. Somehow I missed your post. Be aware, however, that DevForums is not an official support channel. If you want dedicated one-on-one help, you should open a DTS tech support incident (which is what I do for my ‘day job’).

I’m not clear on what you’re trying to achieve here. Let me start by translating these Xcode names into the keys used in the documentation:

• Application supports iTunes file sharing is

UIFileSharingEnabled
    , documented here, is all about granting iTunes access to your app’s Documents directory. If you set it, the app will show up in iTunes and the user can to add items to, and remove items from, that directory using iTunes UI.
  • Supports Document Browser is

UISupportsDocumentBrowser
    , documented here, indicates your app uses
    UIDocumentBrowserViewController
    for its document management.
  • Supports opening documents in place is

LSSupportsOpeningDocumentsInPlace
    , documented here, indicates that your app can edit a document in place.

You wrote:

For my understanding, I would now link the Table View with the File Sharing Option.

I’m not sure what table view you’re talking about here. It would help if you clarified the user interface you currently have and then explain how you’d like that to change.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Is there a way to enable “Supports Document Browser” for Swift Playgrounds projects?