Will Apple charge me 30% commission?

Hello.

There were several similar questions, but I did not get an accurate reply.

Let me ask it like below.

Now I am planning to release that I am providing as a managed service to B2B clients.

My app has only "free" version for my customer, APP is 3D viewer from CAD data.

I can imagine customer can handle 3D data with iPhone and iPad.

One of my business model options is number of downloads. it is not to charge users of the app for downloads, but instead to limit the number of downloads.

Here is Question.

In case of this, will Apple charge me the standard 30% commission on the fees?

Is it possible to charge usage fees with my own billing method such as bank transfer and cash, credit card?

Normally, I can think many company handle it by themselves.

I don`t think Amazon pay 30% back margin to Apple whenever their customer buy goods.

I am saying again. APP is just 3D Viewer. There is no bill system in App.

Please have a check and reply it to me.

Accepted Reply

>it is not to charge users of the app for downloads, but instead to limit the number of downloads.

Sounds like the same thing to me, but whatever...

Unless you bill for extra downloands via In App Purchase, Apple will not take a percentage. The question is if your 'managed service' is allowed to be billed using IAP.

If you don't want to suffer the 30%, and your content isn't consumed inside the app, etc., use your own billing scheme outside of your app.

See the ASRGs and check if your app is a reader app: Business 3.1.3 Content-based “Reader” Apps

Replies

>it is not to charge users of the app for downloads, but instead to limit the number of downloads.

Sounds like the same thing to me, but whatever...

Unless you bill for extra downloands via In App Purchase, Apple will not take a percentage. The question is if your 'managed service' is allowed to be billed using IAP.

If you don't want to suffer the 30%, and your content isn't consumed inside the app, etc., use your own billing scheme outside of your app.

See the ASRGs and check if your app is a reader app: Business 3.1.3 Content-based “Reader” Apps

The issue is whether you must use IAP or not. If what you are selling is performed by code within the app then you must use IAP. If what you are selling is a service provided outside of the app then you may not use IAP. You made two comments:

>APP is just 3D Viewer.

>I am providing as a managed service

The first (i.e. 3D Viewer) sounds like you are 'providing functionality by unlocking code within the app' and if so you must use IAP. After all, the code of the 3D Viewer is developed using Apple's Objective-C and Xcode app and the code is distributed through Apple's App Store.

The second (i.e. managed service) sounds like a real world service that you are providing using a staff, comparable to Amazon's, outside of the App, and if so, you may not use IAP since Apple's monopoly on iOS code may not be 'tied' to services outside of their direct control due to anti-trust regulations.

Amazon is selling real world goods not app functionality; Lyft is selling real world services not app functionality. Are you selling something other than app functionality?

Thank you for your kind reply.

>The issue is whether you must use IAP or not. If what you are selling is performed by code within the app then you must use IAP. If what you are selling is a service provided outside of the app then you may not use IAP. You made two comments:

->I think it is necessary to use IAP. Because I can bill it for my customer(user) with our own traditional system.

In APP, there is no sell product. APP is just a tool for viewing 3D data.

>Are you selling something other than app functionality?
->We sell the cad system and some functionality content, but it isn`t real goods like Amazon.

What does "unlocking code within the app" means? Code means coding(program) source?

Please have a check.

You most likely will need to use IAP because, as you wrote above:

>Using App user can download 3D CAD data from my AWS server, then enjoy it.

The "....then enjoy it" means that the code in your app is being used (that's what I mean by 'unlock') to allow the user to view the 3D data in a way that most likely exceeds what is allowed by a reader app. But if all the user is doing is viewing content downloaded from your site then you might be able to operate as a reader app.

The fact that you have a third party billing system has nothing to do with whether or not you are required to sell using IAP. The question really comes down to whether the 'value' is in the content or the viewing mechanism.

Thank you so much your reply.

I just confused it, sorry but, I want to get more information.

Here`s my business scheme.

1) CAD User can upload their 3D data to my AWS server.

*I can classify the type of users in server.

2) CAD User can download 3D data to thier iPad/iPhone with QR code.

*App can read QR code, so after downloaded, user can use the content.

People can get QR code with downloading but, I think it likes as a reader app.

There are no login system in app of iPhone/iPad.

Anyone can use this free app, if some people get QR code, they can see 3D data.

Because our customers who are not familiar with IT tech are the targets,so we want to avoid in-app billing.

I would like to respond with an existing billing method.

Please have a check.

Using a QR code to unlock functionality is disallowed by:

3.1.4 Content Codes: Apps may not use their own mechanisms to unlock ....... functionality, such as ......QR codes

A reader app is only:

3.1.3 “Reader” Apps: Apps may allow a user to (1) access (2)previously purchased content.

In your case you are using a "QR Code" not "previously purchased content" and you are, possibly, doing more than allowing them to access the content because they can "..then enjoy it" which, i think, speaks to functionality within your app that is more than "access".

I suspect all of your users are perfectly comfortable with IAP - your objection is really about the 30%.