com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice (Not Responding)

• I am having the same issue with a new 13" MBP (2020 M1 Big Sur) with a very lean system build. The problem is intermittent and difficult to reproduce, so the following may not be correct, but I think it might only be happening when both of the following are true: (a) upon wake from sleep and (b) when connected to my external display (an Apple Thunderbolt Display).

As the Hiservices framework contains interfaces for internet config, I wonder if it could be related to switching network interface from wifi to Display Ethernet.

I believe I have ruled out anything having to do with Date & Time, as I have "Set time zone automatically" turned off, together with the applicable Location access in Security & Privacy.

Other things I had initially suspected that I have ruled out so far:

Any apps with Accessibility access;SteerMouse Manager;Bartender 4;Carbon Copy Cloner's daemon;MS Exchange calendars; andParallels 16.5.

I also have an older 15" MBP (2018 Big Sur, Intel obviously) with a nearly identical software build and it does not have the issue. And a 13" MBA (2020 M1) which also does not have the issue. I am completely baffled and I am seriously considering erasing the 13" MBP and starting over with a fresh copy of Big Sur.

I hope this helps and we can get to the bottom of it.

Add a Comment

Apple Recommended

• MBP M1 (Ventura). Despite attempting to upgrade Sonoma, the error persists. /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice /Library/Preferences/Logging/.plist-cache.yd7fXLbb /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.bundle/English.lproj/SystemVersion.strings /private/var/db/analyticsd/events.allowlist /usr/share/icu/icudt70l.dat /dev/null

Add a Comment

Replies

I read here that XPC services are used by developers if some parts of an application are more prone to crashing than others.

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPSystemStartup/Chapters/CreatingXPCServices.html

If the service is opening the unicode / timezone files below before it hangs, maybe the problem is with the ICU (http://site.icu-project.org/home) data?

txt
/usr/share/icu/icudt62l.dat
txt
/private/var/db/timezone/tz/2018i.1.0/icutz/icutz44l.dat
  • MBP M1 (Ventura). Despite attempting to upgrade Sonoma, the error persists. /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice /Library/Preferences/Logging/.plist-cache.yd7fXLbb /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.bundle/English.lproj/SystemVersion.strings /private/var/db/analyticsd/events.allowlist /usr/share/icu/icudt70l.dat /dev/null

Add a Comment

I reported this same issue here: 51189904

my macbook pro 2018 have the same problem long long time ago

This problem often occurs one hour after standby.

I have called the apple service , nothing to help me

There's nothing to do but scold Apple. fking com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice

usually del the com.apple.LaunchServices-231-v2.csstore maybe can happy some days,

after some days, the problem come again, nice to meet you:

com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice (Not Responding)

• It may have something to do with your system attempting to locate an app using the time service. I discovered that an app I downloaded for a desktop clock had been starting at login automatically. When I changed that selection so it wasn't starting at login, I started getting this error. When I changed it back to "start at login" I stopped getting this error. I hope this is helpful.

Add a Comment

macbook pro 2018.

you're not alone.

same **** here.

but luckly this process in not responding does't seems to cause anything

I have the same problem with my iMac pro. I check on my older MacBook Pro and the process hangs there sometimes, but it was never a problem. On the iMac, when it hangs it eventually causes all sorts of problems. Most exclusively with Fusion 360 and occasionally it causes the Open/Save screen to completely lock up which takes out all the applications and finder. I haven't been able to pin point what causes it to fail, but the only fix is rebooting and it will lock up within a few hours of me using Fusion every single time. Hope this gets fixed at some points - it's made be very dissatisfied with my new $5000 computer.

-Tom

com.apple.hiservices stops responding constantly on my MacBook Pro. It did it on my previous 2016 MBP and now with the brand new 2019 MBP. I suspect it's related to the Microsoft Office 365 suite of apps. I have to shut it down numerous times a day, otherwise it slows down my system.

If I never open MS Outlook, the service never hangs. Go figure.

• Microsoft on Macs is/has been/still is a clusterf--k. I swear they do that on purpose... gotta sell more Parallels and Windows licenses to non-enterprise consumers somehow.

Add a Comment

yeah mine keeps hanging and I have to kill it in CleanMyMac. Every time it executes it seems it hangs. I have no idea what to do about it...

1. system preferences -> date & time -> check "set date and time automatically" -> time zone -> check "set time zone ..."

2. security & privacy -> location services -> check "safari" -> system services -> check "time zone & system customization"

hope this can help.

I've checked 1 and 2 hints by @kunge, despite that, I'm running the same issue. **Currently on Big Sur 11.4, M1 Air 2020, the process com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice is not responding. **

I can't find what's is causing this but I do wake from sleep from time to time and I'm using an external display monitor (display port - thunderbolt).

I spent a lot of time on this one, including multiple system reformats on my two macs: a 13" MBP (2020 M1) and a 15" MBP (2018 Intel i7). The problem is related to my use of an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

If I use either of the computers without the ATD, the problem will never occur. But if I use either computer with the ATD, then eventually, randomly, it will occur.

• I have two 16" MacBook Pros, a 2021 M1 Max and a 2019 Intel. Both are connected to separate thunderbolt 4 docks and the docks connected to a KVM. When I switch between computers, the service crashes. But only on the M1 MacBook. Not the Intel.

Add a Comment

Same problem here in case of waking up with an external display connected over Thunderbolt <-> Displayport adapter.

I will add to that that not only does the process hang but the MacBook is overheating, the fans are running full blast and Activity Monitor doesn't show any process consuming too much CPU power - actually Activity Monitor is the most CPU-consuming process.

If I kill com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice then CPU goes back to normal.

• It seems to crash every time I switch between MacBooks with my KVM. Killing the service fixes everything.

Add a Comment

Still happening on M1 MacBook Pro 2021.

I can't confirm this, but it only happens on my M1 MacBook Pro (2021), not my Intel MacBook Pro (2019). It seems switching between computers with my KVM has something to do with this. I also notice other services like com.daskeyboardq.service also stop functioning correctly. The service doesn't crash, but I have to stop it launchctl stop com.daskeyboardq.service so it can restart and reconnect to my keyboard.

• Just another "me too" here. I'm on a 2019 MBP that is recently (yesterday) clean-installed with macOS 12.1. By this I mean the system disk was wiped/formatted in Recovery and Monterey was installed from a bootable installer.

I use an eGPU enclosure with this system to drive an external display and I've noticed this same process hanging / not responding. Doesn't seem to have an impact on the system but I've only been using Monterey for barely 24 hours so far.

Add a Comment

I have a MBP 2019 i7 6c with Monterey 12.2 being current. I'm positive I've never seen this before, "com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice is (Not Responding)". By coincidence I just now 1) found this decent problem-reporting webpage; 2) further up on this webpage (further back in time) saw someone thinking maybe his fresh install of MS Office 365 was a culprit. That rang a bell since just 2 or 3 days ago I installed the latest MS Office apps. FWIW

Issue persists on Intel MacBook Pro 2019 (1.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5) with macOS 12.4. For my case, always happens when using Preview. Both com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice and Preview are NOT responding

• com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice possible fix I discovered that an app I downloaded for a desktop clock had been starting at login automatically. When I changed that selection so it wasn't starting at login, I started getting this error. When I changed it back to "start at login" I stopped getting this error. I hope this is helpful.

Add a Comment