Sidecar showing "no devices" with compatible devices

Hello,

I am using a MacBook Pro 2018 (more details: see screenshot) with the latest macOS Catalina Beta (19A536g) and a iPad 5th generation with the latest public beta (17A5565b).

If I try to use Sidecar in the system preferences, I see "no devices" when trying to select a device

Anyone else having the same problem? the problem exists since beta 3 I think.. before the update, sidecar was working nearly perfect.

I already tried:

- logging out and in again with the Apple ID

- using a wired connection

- checking both devices to be in the same network

- Bluetooth and Wifi are enabled on both devices

- Handoff is enabled

- AirPlay is working with screen mirroring

- Asking Google for help

Is this a bug or habe i forgotten something? Anyone else having this problem? Is there a known workaround?

• Same problem and after searching high and low found the answer for my situation. My router has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks. I had one device on each and they are treated as totally different networks. When both connected to the same everything worked.

Add a Comment

Replies

Hi all,

it seems like I found the problem when I was browsing a german blog that noticed, that only iPads supporting the Apple Pencil are supported. I know, some early betas of Catalina and iPad OS worked with my iPad 5th generation BUT it doesn't support the Apple Pencil.. Seems like support for those iPads got kicked out of Sidecar..

Very sad and angered about that

same problem with 2016 13''MBP with touchbar and 9.7''ipad(6th generation)

I read this entire thread of this not working for people -- I then rebooted my iPad and it worked. That didn't feel like it should work. But it did.

thanks, reboot solved it....

Macbook Pro 2019 Cartalina 10.15.6 - iPad Pro iPadOS 13.6

As soon as I did the update to iOS 13.6 the wireless Sidecar did not work anymore.
I can still use it wired.
Hi! I'm having the same problem, and my iPad DOES support the apple pencil (is an ipad pro, iOS13.6) + imac that I bought yesterday, wit macOS Catalina. I contacted the apple support. The guy called me and we were talking for about 2 hours. We did EVERYTHING, including reseting the ipad completely. And the problem continues, even if I use it wired.

He told me that he did not know any other person who had this same problem... But now I see that I am not the only one, and its kind a relief, since he was proposing to send the ipad to technical service...

I am so frustrated... don't know what else to do... I think we will have to wait for another update.
Resolved: (for my situation)
Even though my iPad Pro is compatible with Apple pencil, sidecar will still show "No Devices" until I actually connect my Apple pencil and my then my iPad shows up immediately.
I had the same issue with a MacBook Pro 2019 and an iPad 7th Gen. (no Apple Pencil involved)

Rebooting the iPad fixed the issue for me as well. It did take a minute or so for it to show up in the toolbar, but it did and it connected successfully.
I was facing the same issue and rebooting the iPad and MacBook didn't work for me. I was able to fix it by removing one of my airplay devices. It seems the AirPlay list on the MacBook is hardcoded to only show three. After I removed one, I was able to see my iPad.

You can remove a device by connecting to it, which puts it in the "connect to" section of airplay, or you can remove the airplay device from wifi or unplug it.

I am on a MacBook 2018 with an iPad 7th gen. Also, I have 2 external monitors connected to my iPad. With the iPad I have 4 screens which really helps. Especially, since I can write on documents using my Apple Pencil and iPad.
Serious issue from Apple's side..
I have the same issue..
  • Brand New Macbook Air with M1, and latest Big Sur.

• iPad Pro MTXN2LL/A, 2019

Both devices are hooked to power
Both are on the same wifi network
Cannot see iPad option or within Sidecar menu under Syst Preference

Apple has some series issues with Big Sur with the latest update.
Issues with factory reset and install was the first one I experienced which bricked my machine and had to get a new one and now this.

cheers

Same problem.

I just updated my MacBook Pro (2018) to Big Sur last week while out on Thanksgiving break and now my iPad Pro (2nd gen) does not show up in Screen Mirror or Sidecar. Before this, I used my iPad with my Macbook every day for teaching and now it won't work. I have restarted both, they are on the same wifi, etc.

I've never had this problem before.
The solution is simple. Bluetooth pair your ipad with the macbook. This will establish a connection then you can see the iPad as an option in side car
Same issue where I can't see the sidecar option with my Macbook Pro M1 and my iPad Pro 12.9 inch 4th gen. No device appears.
I was having this same issue, but I think I found a solution! After reading through different ideas and fixes I was able to work it out the following way. First, my specs and issue -
  • iMac 5k 2019

• Acer 27" Extended Monitor

• iPad Pro

AirPlay Display permanently stuck on "off"
No option available for Sidecar connection

The Fix
  • System Preferences

• Security & Privacy

• Click the lock in the lower-left to unlock

• Select "Firewall"

• Firewall must be set to on and the only boxes that are checked should be "Automatically allow built-in software to receive incoming connections" and "Automatically allow downloaded signed software to receive incoming connections". DO NOT check "Block all incoming connections".

After making this change, I was able to go back to the Sidecar settings and connect my iPad without issue. I can now use it as a third screen with this setup.

I hope this helps!!
I have M1 MacBook Air and iPad Air 4th Gen

I found an article with a workaround and it worked for me.

"If you’re trying to use your iPad as a 2nd monitor with a MacBook and Sidecar, sign out of iCloud on your iPad and sign back in. You’ll receive prompts on your Apple devices to confirm the sign-in on the iPad. Afterwards, go to your MacBook where you should see a notification badge on your System Preferences. Click into Apple ID where you’ll be prompted to enter your iPad passcode as well as your MacBook password. Once everything goes through, you should be able to go back to Sidecar in System Preferences and see your device as an option."

Basically, just sign out of iCloud on your iPad, then sign back in. Then follow the notification on your Apple ID icon in your Mac system settings.

Hope this helps