Sidecar showing "no devices" with compatible devices

Hello,

I am using a MacBook Pro 2018 (more details: see screenshot) with the latest macOS Catalina Beta (19A536g) and a iPad 5th generation with the latest public beta (17A5565b).

If I try to use Sidecar in the system preferences, I see "no devices" when trying to select a device

Anyone else having the same problem? the problem exists since beta 3 I think.. before the update, sidecar was working nearly perfect.

I already tried:

- logging out and in again with the Apple ID

- using a wired connection

- checking both devices to be in the same network

- Bluetooth and Wifi are enabled on both devices

- Handoff is enabled

- AirPlay is working with screen mirroring

- Asking Google for help

Is this a bug or habe i forgotten something? Anyone else having this problem? Is there a known workaround?

• Same problem and after searching high and low found the answer for my situation. My router has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks. I had one device on each and they are treated as totally different networks. When both connected to the same everything worked.

Add a Comment

Replies

I am having the EXACT same problem, if anyone has a fix please reply to this post

I have done all the suggestions above.
  • Updating iOS and macOS

• Logging in and out iCloud on both devices

• Pressed the option-button in the system preference "screen", so that the "find screens" option was shown

• Used bluetooth to connect between the MacBook Pro 13" (2017) and my iPad Pro 10,5"

• Used the USB to Lightning to connect with a cable

• Changed the name of my iPad Pro

What helped me was I rebooted the iPad Pro afterwards, and now it works perfectly fine! Without cable, but they are connected via WiFi

hello all.

I have had similar issues.

However I have found a simple short-term fix.

If my ipad is not discoverable, I hold the lock key (on the Ipad) for a couple of seconds and it then becomes available and syncs again.

I have done this if the connection has been lost (if i have walked away from my laptop) or if I have closed my laptop and re-opened.

Hope that helps.

I would love it to be fixed completely. But this has been working recently.
After two days of frustration and headaches I finally got the answer that worked for me!
Purchased iPad 8th generation and new M1 Mac mini. Sidecar would not load for me at all, I tried everything listed here except for one thing.

Change your password to Apple ID, then log out and login with the new password and it should work! Sidecar recognized my iPad after that, I hope this works for you and saves you headaches!
The BennyP85 answer helped me. It's tricky. You have to make sure both the Mac and the iPad are two-factor signed in AGAIN. So you would shut down both and re-sign in on both and they both have to be the same ID and password. Also, I turned off my VPN just in case that was the problem.
Another article says the following, and I made sure handoff was selected on both the iPad and the Mac:

iPad: Go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff and ensure that Handoff is turned on. 
Mac: Open System Preferences, then click General. And ensure that the “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.” option is selected. 
In all, it took me about a half-hour of trying various things. It does work in the end...
Then you have to figure out how to enlarge the very tiny screen display on the iPad...

Sidecar used to work fine and then suddenly stopped working for no reason. More and more Apple produces GARBAGE. DUMP THAT TRASH.

Hello everyone,

Like everybody else, I had issues with my sidecar and I tried everything under the sun.

However, after speaking to some advisors, I was asked to try and make sure that across all my devices, the apple keychain must be ON and checked.

Please give it a try as "Continuity Service rely on iCloud and with iCloud Keychain, the connection on both devices are much trusted (encrypted)".

Hope this helps!

Sorry also posted this as a comment. My bad!

Same problem and after searching high and low found the answer for my situation. My router has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks. I had one device on each and they are treated as totally different networks. When both connected to the same everything worked.

I am running 2020 M1 MBP 13 and a 2021 iPad Pro 11". I could not get sidecar to work. I read where someone above connected their Pencil to their iPad and it worked... I did exactly that, and the instant I snapped my Pencil (2) to my iPad it appeared in Sidecar! So, for me, problem solved. If you have an iPad with a Pencil, try that before you go to any extreme lengths. It will hopefully work for you, too 🤞

*edited to update MBP year

Having the same issue with a 2021 MacBook Pro 16in running Big Sur and my iPad 5th generation

THE FIX! THE FIX!

Oh my, the hours wasted! After trudging through SOOO many of these suggestions. (I won't list them again here...)

I signed into NOT JUST ICLOUD on OSX, BUT ALSO THE APP STORE on OSX! (with the same Apple ID as the iPad obvs)...

And then then all the right words, settings and icons became active in all the right places :-))) Ah my little screen 2nd screen, I love you x (But what a f*****g faf to get it)

Macbook Pro 2018 Catalina + iPad 6th Gen without a pencil.

Reboot iPad solved the problem.

After reboot, the iPad did not show up on mac immediately. It showed up after a few minutes when I was checking display setting. I found the "Airplay display" was enabled which had been greyed before. Then suddenly sidecar works.

Please read the sidecar system requirement on the apple support webpage and make sure:

1. Both devices must be signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID using two-factor authentication.
  2. To use Sidecar wirelessly, both devices must be within 10 meters (30 feet) of each other and have Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Handoff turned on.
  3. Also make sure that the iPad is not sharing its cellular connection and the Mac is not sharing its internet connection.