Sidecar showing "no devices" with compatible devices

Hello,

I am using a MacBook Pro 2018 (more details: see screenshot) with the latest macOS Catalina Beta (19A536g) and a iPad 5th generation with the latest public beta (17A5565b).

If I try to use Sidecar in the system preferences, I see "no devices" when trying to select a device

Anyone else having the same problem? the problem exists since beta 3 I think.. before the update, sidecar was working nearly perfect.

I already tried:

- logging out and in again with the Apple ID

- using a wired connection

- checking both devices to be in the same network

- Bluetooth and Wifi are enabled on both devices

- Handoff is enabled

- AirPlay is working with screen mirroring

- Asking Google for help

Is this a bug or habe i forgotten something? Anyone else having this problem? Is there a known workaround?

• Same problem and after searching high and low found the answer for my situation. My router has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks. I had one device on each and they are treated as totally different networks. When both connected to the same everything worked.

Add a Comment

Replies

I having the same problem. NOTHING is working to get it fixed. Airplay is permanent in off mode. I tried everything on this forum. HOWEVER, I know what the problem is. It is with BIG SURs latest update. Before I update my Mac mini M1, everything worked fine. After I installed the update, sidecar and airplay NO LONGER WORK. Moral of the story...

NEVER INSTALL APPLES LATEST UPDATES UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. ALMOST ALWAYS THINGS GO WRONG, DRIVERS STOP WORKING.

Never, never, NEVER!!!!!!! INSTALL THE LATEST MAC UPDATES!! THEY TAKE FOREVER TO FIX THEIR DRIVERS ISSUES, ITS BEST TO HAVE THE OLD VERSION OF MAC INSTALLED AND HAVE THING WORKING THAN TO INSTALL THE NEWER VERSION FOR A COUPLE OF NEW GIMMICKS AND HAVE YOUR DRIVERS QUIT WORKING FOR MONTHS UNTIL THEY FINALLY FIX THEIR BS.

The only way to fix this is to downgrade your Macs OS, NOT EASY.

Sorry for the caps but I can not stress this enough to NEVER install their latest updates!!!!!!!

I tried the solution posted by ynam481 (logout of iCloud on iPad and log back in) and got a positive result. That worked perfectly.
  • MM

Code Block
If anyone is still having issues with Sidecar connecting, simply log out of iCloud on your iPad. Once you're able to, sign back into iCloud on your iPad. On your Mac/Macbook, re-launch Sidecar. You should now see your device list updated and your iPad as a visible option. Not sure when Apple will fix this little glitch. It seems to happen with every update. Until they do, this is a very quick workaround. You'll be reconnected in less than 5 mins.
I am still having this issue. I tried the sign out of iCloud suggestions, as well as rebooting and bluetooth connecting. I still show "no devices" in sidecar.

Macbook Pro 2016
Big Sur 11.1

Thank you!
I am feeling frustrated, as are others experiencing this issue. I tried pairing via bluetooth, logging out then back into iCloud on both devices, restarting both devices, but no luck. I downloaded Big Sur last week on my MacBook Pro, and now I see "no devices" when I try to use my iPad with Sidecar. UGH!!!!!
None of the other methods work for me but what did work was this:
  1. Your iPad and MacBook should be set up with all the necessary settings you need to set up side car. Once you have then try this.

2. Open System Preferences

3. Go to displays

4. Hold down on the option key and a "detect displays" button should appear beside the "?" On the bottom right of the tab

5. Click detect displays

Once you do that you should be able to go back to sidecar and connect new device.

Hopefully that works!
I've tried everything on this thread several times and I'm still seeing "no devices".
  • Bluetooth connection see's the iPad,

• necessary Security Firewall is on

• cleared old devices out of the list

• signed in/out of iCloud, rebooted devices

Hardware:
iPad Air
MacBook Pro M1
I tried a lot of the things written in this thread but I didn't get it to work, UNTIL I used iCloud on both devices. I hadn't enable iCloud on my computer yet, but when I did it found my iPad for sidecar instantly. Hope that solves it for someone!
I was facing this same issue and tried everything that was mentioned from the original post. Now, I did two things around the same time so i'm not exactly sure which one was the fix, but i figured i'd share with you all.
  • The first thing I tried was signing in/out of my iCloud on my iPad pro. which was a highly suggested "fix", but I didn't notice sidecar working after logging back in to my iCloud.

• *This next step is when i noticed it started to work.. **

• Then I went in to my "Find My" in Apple ID (using my iPad Pro) and noticed that "my location" was set to my old iPhone. I changed it to "this device" (being my iPad Pro) and then i noticed that i was able to see my iPad under the "connect to:" on my MacBook's sidecar settings.

Again, i am not too sure if this is what the actual fix is for everyone, but it worked for me. I think it would be worth looking into for you all that are still coming across this issue.

Best of luck!

• Bingo. Thank you. Was getting frustrating .... Methodically worked through this thread. The "Find My" device setting being set to an old phone instead of the ipad was the trick. 2016 MBP Catalina and 2018 iPad pro with pencil.

Add a Comment
Nothing on this thread worked for me.

What did work for me: disconnecting from my corporate VPN.
None of the "fixes" work for me. Updated iOS and MacOS. iPad Pro 10.5. Kinda ridiculous that this feature is so elusive.
After practically tearing my hair out trying the logging in/out, pairing, apple id business. The simplest fix worked. I just removed my apple pencil from the iPad and reconnected it and for some reason that was the trick. My Macbook Pro recognized the iPad immediately and I could use sidecar. Huzzah
Logging out of Apple ID and logging in again, on all devices. It worked for me.
I also couldn't until I unplugged my Airpods from iPad. Once I've done this, the iPad has shown up at Sidecar settings.
Solved. I had the same issue with 2017 MBP 11.2.2 Big Sur and iPad Air 4 running 14.4. It was a new iPad Air. I connected my Mac to my iPad using a USB C cable and on my Mac I opened a Finder window. Under 'Locations' appeared iPad. I clicked on it and my computer asked me to trust the iPad then on my iPad I trusted my laptop. Then Sidecar worked.