How to Fix Cracking and Popping Sound ?

Hello, is it anyone here ( or on this planet ) that can help with this issue on Catalina Mac OS 10.15.5 Beta 3 (19F72f).

I am using MacBook Pro 16 inches. 😟

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of JoyGlory Down vote post of JoyGlory
235k views
  • Same issue but with a new iMac 10-core i9....running Big Sur 11.6.1. I don't seem to have CoreAudio in my Activity Monitor to close and restart as others have recommended.

• I have the same issue after upgrading to Monterey 12.0.1. The sound continuously cracking both for output and input streams. I'm on Macbook Pro 13` 2015 (i5 2.9).

• Running Big Sur (v 11.6.2) on an MacBook Pro (13" | 2019) -- making sure that the ONLY application running is the one that you need/want to get audio from (in my case using Chrome)... so I had to quit FireFox, and Zoom applications and BOOM!!!! All of the choppy-ness is GONE and audio sounds WAAAAY better.... so, thanks to those who mentioned quitting other applications to fix this annoying problem!!!!

Replies

Still the issue is not resolved, embarrassing!
I see the same problem every time I use an app called AppPolice to reduce the processing limit of programs and its nothing but crackle when youtube is playing.
Have the same issue when Xcode12 Simulator is working. Catalina 10.15.7
I'm having the same issue. I have a MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2019 and I'm using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 & Xcode 12.0.1 and as soon the simulator is working (Running the app) the cracking noise starts if ANY sound is coming out of the speakers... Please fix it!
Same problem, and I just started learning to use Xcode...it is not very confidence-inspiring to experience this kind of bug
Same issue here, 16" Macbook Pro, xcode simulator seems to cause crackling.
macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Macbook Pro 2015 15'
Same crackling issue coming from any media player or YouTube.

Same problem on my 2017 15" MBP, basically all sound sources have the crackling sound issue on my mac, on Catalina 10.15.7
I have this problem as well on my 2020 iMac 10 core. It only happens when the Simulator is running. It appears that the simulator is competing with the audio. I have a workaround that might help, however; if you turn the volume of the Simulator all the way down, it may resolve the issue. At least, since doing so I haven't heard it happen.
Same issue here, makes watching tutorials as I code very difficult lol. The issue seems to be inconsistent and can sometimes be fixed with a restart. Any audio coming from any app is extremely distorted while Xcode is open; it starts when I run the preview or simulator in with SwiftUI.

MBP 2018 15"
Catalina 10.15.7 same issue still not fixed, it's actually way worst. Unbelievable. User @raymo is actually correct, switching the iOS Simulator, if you are a developer, fixes it for a bit.
Same issue here, MacBook Pro 16" 2019 (Base Model) using Catalina 10.15.7 and Xcode 12.1...
I have this problem too, really feel bad.
Restart it and hope the Apple will fix it.

2019 MBP 16
macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H2)
Xcode Version 12.1 (12A7403)
You can restart the coreaudio process manually. This doesn't fix the firmware issue that I just paid $5k for (Great work as always, Apple!) but it does mean you won't have to reboot your computer every time this happens.

Restart coreaudio
  • Open Activity Monitor

• Search for "coreaudio"

• Double-click coreaudio

• Select Quit

• Select Force Quit

• coreaudio should restart on its own in a moment or so

Same problem here running Catalina and XCode 12.+.

Restarting the simulator fixes the problem instantly for a while. I have to do this once every so often ... waiting for a more permanent solution from Apple.