How to Fix Cracking and Popping Sound ?

Hello, is it anyone here ( or on this planet ) that can help with this issue on Catalina Mac OS 10.15.5 Beta 3 (19F72f).

I am using MacBook Pro 16 inches. 😟

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of JoyGlory Down vote post of JoyGlory
236k views
  • Same issue but with a new iMac 10-core i9....running Big Sur 11.6.1. I don't seem to have CoreAudio in my Activity Monitor to close and restart as others have recommended.

• I have the same issue after upgrading to Monterey 12.0.1. The sound continuously cracking both for output and input streams. I'm on Macbook Pro 13` 2015 (i5 2.9).

• Running Big Sur (v 11.6.2) on an MacBook Pro (13" | 2019) -- making sure that the ONLY application running is the one that you need/want to get audio from (in my case using Chrome)... so I had to quit FireFox, and Zoom applications and BOOM!!!! All of the choppy-ness is GONE and audio sounds WAAAAY better.... so, thanks to those who mentioned quitting other applications to fix this annoying problem!!!!

Replies

Same issue here. Really frustrated. Using Xcode and listening to audio caused no issues on my mid-2015 MacBook Pro that I just sold last week. I upgraded to the 16in MacBook Pro and now I cannot watch coding tutorials while using Xcode or listen to music either. And it only happens when you start to build and run an app in the simulator or the canvas in SwiftUI. They really need to fix this.
I'm having the same issue. I have a MacBook Pro 13.3-inch, 2014 and I'm now using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 after updating from el captain mac os Sierra. When Mac start and the start up audio playing then cracking noise starts and if ANY sound is coming out of the internal speakers from any app... Please fix it!
Simple workaround in the Terminal:

Code Block
sudo killall coreaudiod

hello,
I updated my MacBook Pro 13.3-inch, early 2013 and I'm now using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 after updating I have really bad sounds*cracking sounds*. Please fix it ASAP. I couldn't use my MacBook.
I think there is a way to solve this in the quickest way: killing the simulator and audio process from the terminal

Code Block
xcrun simctl shutdown all

and

Code Block
sudo killall coreaudiod

Still a workaround but at least I don't need to restart my mac.

This problem is really exhausting because it happens to me all the time, but I believe that it will only be solved if someone legally sues Apple for negligence or someone sympathize with our requests. I waited months for an update to fix this problem, but not even the Big Sur last release fixed my problem.

Anyway, you can add the code below to your .zshrc or .bashrc:

Code Block
alias fix-damn-audio="xcrun simctl shutdown all && sudo killall coreaudiod"

and when the problem occurs you just call in the terminal:

Code Block
fix-damn-audio

You can change the name of the alias as you like.

Good luck to all of us

I was having the same issues after running on a brand new 16" I got yesterday... I jus upgraded to Big Sur and it seems to have fixed the issue
Tried all the trouble shooting steps as well, sound issue seems to be intermitten especially in Logic Pro but seems to also "pop" even when loading a song in Apple Music or a video on Youtube. Very Frustrating as audio engineer. Even switched from 2015 MacBook Pro to 15 inch 2018 2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9 and updated to Big Sur. Same issue. we need a fix!
Hi guys!
I also had this trouble, but I found a simple decision: just change format in «Audio midi setup»: for me, it was from 44100 hz to 48000 hz — it solved my problem.
I'm having the same issue as everyone else. Once I run anything with the simulator or preview in SwiftUI the audio is weird after that. Not sure what to do. I'm also running all the latest software.
I was able to fix that by setting audio for simulator (I/O menu) to any other setting, than the one I use (external headphones).
Yesterday I updated my MacBook Air 2018 to Big Sur and Now I'm facing the same issue of audio

same here, it only happens when i run xcode

Also having this issue on a brand new 16".

Getting the run around from support.

Resetting SMC fixes it for like a day or 2.
Same issue here with Big Sur 11.0.1, only when using xcode (12.2)