How to Fix Cracking and Popping Sound ?

Hello, is it anyone here ( or on this planet ) that can help with this issue on Catalina Mac OS 10.15.5 Beta 3 (19F72f).

I am using MacBook Pro 16 inches. 😟

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of JoyGlory Down vote post of JoyGlory
233k views
  • Same issue but with a new iMac 10-core i9....running Big Sur 11.6.1. I don't seem to have CoreAudio in my Activity Monitor to close and restart as others have recommended.

• I have the same issue after upgrading to Monterey 12.0.1. The sound continuously cracking both for output and input streams. I'm on Macbook Pro 13` 2015 (i5 2.9).

• Running Big Sur (v 11.6.2) on an MacBook Pro (13" | 2019) -- making sure that the ONLY application running is the one that you need/want to get audio from (in my case using Chrome)... so I had to quit FireFox, and Zoom applications and BOOM!!!! All of the choppy-ness is GONE and audio sounds WAAAAY better.... so, thanks to those who mentioned quitting other applications to fix this annoying problem!!!!

Replies

Just to add - I actually use external speakers on my Macbook Pro M1 Pro chip - and they also pop. I recently replaced them because I thought it might be the device or a short in the cabling... but no. It's the device. I moved the same speakers over to my Windows desktop, and they didn't pop once. The pop is loud enough, and frequent enough (even when I'm not listening to audio) that I have to unplug them every night. Which for how expensive this device was, is inexcusable. I am require to use Apple products for work, but I'll never understand this obsession.

The problem still persists on my Macbook Pro M1 when using Mojo Chord connected with USB-C (but not with directly connected headphones). However, I recently got a used Mac Mini M1 and after connected the Mojo Chord to that I've had no cracking issues at all, so essentially switched using that for music instead of the Macbook which I use for work.

Both machines are running latest Ventura release, have Rosetta installed and have multiple Intel processes running. I have to assume it's something to do with the Macbook hardware or architecture. Maybe that's why they don't seem to be able to fix it with software updates.

• Thanks for the report!

It's definitely a hardware/driver issue, I have a Mac Studio with M1 Pro and a Macbook Pro with M2 and both have it with sound out via USB - but it's clear that software can lessen the issue from occurring. For example, on Plex triggers it frequently and it won't go away until a restart of audiod daemon - but not when using tidal and avoiding Plex, there's never a trigger of the issue.

• Indeed I'm running fewer software processes on the Mac Mini, so that might be a contributing factor as well.

Add a Comment

I had a call with Apple a minute ago, and it seems that they are aware of this problem. They said you need to update your system and that they are already analyzing the problem. Hopefully, a bugfix will be published soon!

• Thanks for sharing.

• I have the newest OS and it has been here for over a year.

• That’s optimistic. Updating fixes nothing. Saying this Apple finally replaced my M1 MacBook Pro after verifying the crackling sound in spite of not being able to diagnose the fault. And then I switched on the replacement and no pops, no crackles… I start to relax, celebrate even… and then pop 💥 it’s back 🤦🏼‍♂️

Add a Comment

Same issue with MacBook Air M1, 2020. After a while, the crackling starts. Reducing the volume doesn't help at all.

I've been updating OS but the problem persists. It's surprising that the issue persists for 2 years now! You would think that either hardware or software it would be resolved by now.

2021 Macbook Pro, 16", M1 with similar, short crackle/pop/fart sounds at any volume, which has worsened to roughly every 1-2 minutes. Did anyone have a permanent fix by taking it to the Apple Store?

sudo killall coreaudiod

Fixed it! It should reload itself within a fraction of a second.

• This does not work in the program, giving me the issue..

• This did not help me.

Add a Comment

This problem has been here for a whole year! Let's celebreate with a little birthday for this issue!

• Same for me. Apple is no more what I expected from them.

Add a Comment

This is what I found in the console:

HALC_ProxyIOContext.cpp:1149  HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: skipping cycle due to overload

HALS_IOEngine2.cpp:3683 Detected possible coloring mixer glitch on BuiltInSpeakerDevice: buffer time: 10222740 actual time: 10221968 safety violation: -268 with 2 running contexts

HALS_IOEngine2.cpp:3683 Detected possible coloring mixer glitch on BuiltInSpeakerDevice: buffer time: 10223236 actual time: 10222087 safety violation: -163 with 2 running contexts

HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:644  index: 0, start: 0x103be423d17e, duration: 0x2b, fault address: 0x107684000, fault pc: 0x1a184fe6c, faulting TID: 0x10ab9f, fault type: 0x1, PID: 0x406c

this erros continues from index 0 to index 66

HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:644  index: 66, start: 0x103be423d14d, duration: 0x2c, fault address: 0x107680000, fault pc: 0x1a184fe6c, faulting TID: 0x10ab9f, fault type: 0x1, PID: 0x406c

HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:681  lastStackshotStart: 86478510820208, lastStackshotEnd: 86478511948958, numStackshotsTaken: 1855, sumOfTakenStackshots: 4264003166

HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:267  HALS_OverloadMessage: Overload due to HAL client proc exceeding io cycle budget

HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:273  HALS_OverloadMessage: Overload due to the driver taking too long
 HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:194  Audio IO Overload thread: 10a134 inputs: '<private>' outputs: '<private>' cause: 'Unknown' prewarming: no recovering: no
   CAReportingClient.mm:537  Sending message { message="{
  "HAL_client_IO_duration" = 25665708;
  HostApplicationDisplayID = "com.ColossalOrder.CitiesSkylines";
  cause = "PageFaultsOffIOThread,ClientHALIODurationExceededBudget,DriverTookTooLong";
  deadline = 10220870;
  "input_device_source_list" = "";
  "input_device_transport_list" = "";
  "input_device_uid_list" = "";
  "io_buffer_size" = 1024;
  "io_cycle" = 3005;
  "io_cycle_budget" = 21354125;
  "io_page_faults" = 0;
  "is_prewarming" = 0;
  "is_recovering" = 0;
  "issue_type" = overload;
  lateness = 237;
  "other_active_clients" = "[ { HostApplicationDisplayID_other_client: com.spotify.client, sample_rate_other_client: 48000.107769, io_buffer_size_other_client: 512 }, { HostApplicationDisplayID_other_client: com.ColossalOrder.CitiesSkylines, sample_rate_other_client: 48000.107753, io_buffer_size_other_client: 1024 } ]";
  "other_page_faults" = 67;
  "output_device_source_list" = "Internal Speaker";
  "output_device_transport", reporters="<decode: missing data>" }
Add a Comment

I don’t feel like turning off every app apart from the one making sound is viable, and frankly it shouldn’t be necessary. I haven’t had to do that in 20 years of having computers. Until now. Apple finally replaced my M1 MacBook Pro after verifying the crackling sound in spite of not being able to diagnose the fault. And then I switched on the replacement and no pops, no crackles… I start to relax, celebrate even… and then pop 💥 it’s back 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Are you saying Apple replaced the Mac for you? My Mac is currently in the Apple store and is being looked at.

The Apple guy says: "This issue is not acknowledged by Apple and cannot be attributed to software or hardware. All comments and proposed solutions are opinions shared by owners of Apple products and does not necessarily mean they are correct or not!" Well, that's bloody helpful.

Add a Comment

I still have this problem when I am using Ableton. I already changed the bitrate to 48000 to all devices and also tried multiple latencies. It seems a problem with the audio driver:

HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:644  index: 15, start: 0xaa780f998d, duration: 0x2b, fault address: 0x10ba8c000, fault pc: 0x1895cfe6c, faulting TID: 0xc20f, fault type: 0x1, PID: 0x1a8
   CAReportingClient.mm:537  Sending message { message="{
  "HAL_client_IO_duration" = 11961041;
  HostApplicationDisplayID = "com.ableton.live";
  cause = "PageFaultsOffIOThread,ClientHALIODurationExceededBudget";
  deadline = 87596004;
  "input_device_source_list" = Unknown;
  "input_device_transport_list" = Virtual;
  "input_device_uid_list" = "GDAudioDevice_UID";
  "io_buffer_size" = 512;
  "io_cycle" = 4;
  "io_cycle_budget" = 11354166;
  "io_page_faults" = 0;
  "is_prewarming" = 0;
  "is_recovering" = 0;
  "issue_type" = overload;
  lateness = 33;
  "other_active_clients" = "[ { HostApplicationDisplayID_other_client: com.globaldelight.Boom3D, sample_rate_other_client: 48000.000000, io_buffer_size_other_client: 512 }, { HostApplicationDisplayID_other_client: com.globaldelight.Boom3D, sample_rate_other_client: 48000.036378, io_buffer_size_other_client: 512 }, { HostApplicationDisplayID_other_client: com.ableton.live, sample_rate_other_client: 48006.012834, io_buffer_size_other_client: 51", reporters="<decode: missing data>" }

Found this thread while trying to diagnose a crackling sound with my M1 Max macbook pro (Ventura 13.2.1), mostly using Bitwig Studio. Tried killall coreaudiod, but that didn't work. Same program works fine on my 2010 Mac Pro (running Monterey). Interestingly, the Bitwig "DSP Performance Graph" shows sharp spikes coinciding with each of the crackles. Activity monitor shows absolutely no memory pressure (the machine has 64GB, isn't running much). Tried changing sample rate in Bitwig, which did show a different baseline in the DSP Performance Graph, but the spikes still happen. Very odd behavior.

I have been in contact with both Apple and the creator of an app which makes the crack sound.

For Apple, this is ONLY an Apple-issue, that they will look at if the sound comes when there is no third-party apps open. The creator of the app, said that when all their sound is turned off, they don't make any sound.

So this means, that we will never get this solved. They are firing bullets at each other. This is very sad. I think we should try make a list of programs that has this problem and also maybe try find out what coreaudiod is doing.

ChatGPT has told me, it is an audio driver.

So, I’ve found a bit of a work around for this issue which Apple has ignored for about 10yrs now. I’ve been looking for a solution for about 2months or more, ever since I was forced to upgrade to Catalina. I’ve seen this has been a problem as far back as 2014 for some people and NOTHING from Apple. This is a disgrace. Apple has ignored this incredibly BIG issue for this long and the bigger problem we as consumers have is that we have no option except to go to Windows, they suck too. But I digress…

Anyway, I do a little DJing in my spare time. I own a Denon DJ controller. The controller is a standalone unit which means it has the ability to play music without a computer attached. Most DJ controllers use laptops nowadays. Maybe you’ve seen DJs using laptops with turntables to DJ, in this case, you don’t need a laptop. The controller links to the computer so you can put music directly on the controller or on a USB flash drive which you can plug into the controller. Denon DJ makes a free software called EngineDJ so you can organize and load music onto your controller or on a usb flash drive. When I open Engine DJ, I have minimal audio dropouts in Apple Music, there are still some, BUT when I close EngineDJ its 10 times worse. This tells me that its a software issue that can be fixed and Apple has simply decided NOT to fix it. “Expletive” You Apple.

I’m not sure why the dropouts nearly stop when EngineDJ is loaded but until someone comes up with a better solution, maybe this will help some of you with this long running Apple computer problem. And maybe one of you developers can figure out how DenonDJ makes it work and then get Apple Music to load the same way.

Thank you and good luck… Remy Lebeau

Boom 2 - Stereo Sound Enhancer for Mac - Global Delight fixed this issue for me!!!!!

Now I'm looking for some free software, that is doing the same... But you can try a trail and check it out!

• Rasmus Roessum wrote:

Boom 2 - Stereo Sound Enhancer for Mac - Global Delight fixed this issue for me

Being unable to reproduce the problem with Logic Pro (using the same instruments), and inspired by his observation, I looked for an option for increasing the amount of buffering used in Bitwig Studio, and sure enough, if I change the "Block Size" from Auto (which apparently sets it to 256 samples, to 512 samples (I'm using 48kHz sample rate), I'm hearing no crackling. (and DSP graph is flat)

• Many of us have already tested Boom2, and the problem, even if it seems delayed, is still present.

Add a Comment

In my case, increasing Bitwig Studio's "Block size" from the Automatic setting of 256 samples to 512 samples almost entirely fixes the issue. Oddly, the same instruments with Bitwig studio on my 2010 Mac pro don't have any crackling issues even with block size set to 32 samples.