How to Fix Cracking and Popping Sound ?

Hello, is it anyone here ( or on this planet ) that can help with this issue on Catalina Mac OS 10.15.5 Beta 3 (19F72f).

I am using MacBook Pro 16 inches. 😟

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of JoyGlory Down vote post of JoyGlory
235k views
  • Same issue but with a new iMac 10-core i9....running Big Sur 11.6.1. I don't seem to have CoreAudio in my Activity Monitor to close and restart as others have recommended.

• I have the same issue after upgrading to Monterey 12.0.1. The sound continuously cracking both for output and input streams. I'm on Macbook Pro 13` 2015 (i5 2.9).

• Running Big Sur (v 11.6.2) on an MacBook Pro (13" | 2019) -- making sure that the ONLY application running is the one that you need/want to get audio from (in my case using Chrome)... so I had to quit FireFox, and Zoom applications and BOOM!!!! All of the choppy-ness is GONE and audio sounds WAAAAY better.... so, thanks to those who mentioned quitting other applications to fix this annoying problem!!!!

Replies

This is still an issue:

• Monterey 12.4
  • 16in 2021
  • Apple M1 Pro
  • After two years of complaints, has Apple managed to fix the famous "Cracking and Popping Sound" bug on its OS(s)? I'm still waiting for a fix and enjoying the horrible issue on a super expensive machine which, some time ago, was to notch for audio, now.. well, it's struggling to handle its issues, apparently.

Anyone taking it seriously at Apple, please?

MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2021 Apple M1 Max Ventura 13.2.1 *

with Ventura, apparently, it got worse.
  • Sorry, still no issues. My Mac is in the store as we speak and I am getting the following response: " This issue is not acknowledged by Apple and cannot be attributed to software or hardware. All comments and proposed solutions are opinions shared by owners of Apple products and does not necessarily mean they are correct or not!".

Add a Comment

This fixed it for me.

1. Open the Audio MIDI Setup app
  2. Select MacBook Pro Speakers.
  3. Change the format to 44kHz or 48kHz
  • Highly doubt it. When you change that setting, the audiod service will reset and it will be gone for a few hours - then it's back again.

• It didnt work for me either. I have the crackling since 3 years on different machines and I think I migrated it to my new M1,... it really is horrible. It got worse the last days...

Add a Comment

Someone made an app it's here on github (eqMac) https://github.com/bitgapp/eqMac

It's been working for like 20+ mins now and my chronically bad laptop is now pumping out crystal clear tunes

FIX FOUND!

eqMac, by Roman Kisil. Go to eqmac.app/ for the install.

• I suggest to wait for a few days/weeks before being sure that's the fix. We had very similar answer by installing Boom software from Global Delight https://www.globaldelight.com/

Many people thought that this fixed the problem, but in the end it did not.

This said, I will try your suggestion to see :)

• I'll try it too!

• Just crackling again after 13 hours (eqMac installed)

I am now using APPLE MACBOOK AIR M2 CHIP 2022 and I’m having this issue. I’m literally having anxiety when I hear it cause this is my first laptop and its expensive as hell. What shout I do? 😭😵‍💫

I have the same issue on my MacBook Pro 14 2023 (Apple M1 Pro). Looks like it is not present on Firefox. Only on Safari.

I'm having the same issue, random popping and crackling sounds when the memory is on high pressure, on a MBP 14-inch 2021. Absolutely egregious this hasn't been addressed by Apple having affected so many people. I hope for a future recall, a class-action suit, or something!

The fix for my noise problem! I'm on an M1 Mac Mini, Venture 13.2.1 with JBL 305P studio monitors (killer monitors BTW) connected via a UA Volt 176 interface / DAC. I had a faint but constant and annoying electronic/buzzy/pulsing sound in the left channel. I tried swopping speakers and it was still in the left so it isn't a speaker issue. I tried a few of the suggestions given here like quitting all apps, etc to no avail. Then I plugged headphones straight in to the Mini and there is no noise. Hmmm. So it's not the speaker but it's also likely not the computer sound as the noise isn't there in the headphones on either channel. Then it hits me. My Orbi wifi extender is standing about 18 inches away from the back of the left channel JBL. I unplug the Orbi and problem instantly gone! So relieved. I know this probably isn't the issue with most of you all but I hope this helps someone else. Depending on your situation, consider outside sources for potential noise generation.

Noise is gone with "Apple USB-C to headphone adapter". And is worse with Magsafe + headphone jack.

Same issue recently on a MacBook Pro (14inch, 2021), had another mbp since 2015 and it never cracked...

It happens with Spotify so I thought it was the app's problem at first, but apparently it probably wasn't. Here is a post from the community:

Crackling/Clipping Noise on Macbook [https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Crackling-Clipping-Noise-on-Macbook/td-p/5016088/page/4]

I didn't try every possible solution they mentioned since it seems in the end always failed, but when someone suggested it could be effected by memory pressure, it reminds me I used to have the memory cleanser with me (though I never know if it's helpful). So I turned it on and it seems reduce the frequency of cracking in a certain extent, but no not fixed, just to a bearable level (for now)

Adding my voice as well on my "old" macbook pro 15 late 2013 running now on big sur 11.7.7 Sound always played well until the latest os updates. there's no way to have the sound I had few weeks ago. I am sure it's a sw/driver problem because pluggin in some headphones via wire the play fine. I don't think speaker broke down because I use music at low volume but never the less even at low volume the noise is there all the time.

Venture 14.4 on MacMini M1 2020

I've had this for more than a year.

It first appeared while I was using Zoom. Since then I've kept removing the coreaudiod files, which worked for a hour or two.

I think Boom may be a culprit and just used the Boom Uninstaller, but it came back.

It happens regardless of which browser and I virtually never use Safari.

I think it is a memory pressure (?) issue, as I think the memory is always running high when the problem comes.

I'll try reinstalling the system and see what that does.

• Did re-installing the system help?

Add a Comment

If anyone is finding this, the issue is related to memory usage being too high. As soon as your memory is in the orange on activity monitor then the sound cracks and as soon as you close applications to lower the memory the sound will come back and stop cracking.

Hope this helps.

• Not true. I'm experiencing the problem and my memory pressure is really low (and green).

Add a Comment

They're never gonna fix this are they... I mean it has been over 3 years since I first experienced this issue and I'm on my second laptop and it's still happening.

Macbook Pro 2015. Everything has worked fine. Updated from 11.7.4 to 11.7.8 (yes I know I'm running older OS because it is al older computer) and the crackling problem now happens to me too.

First it was right speaker. Panning to left allowed me to work around it for web calls yesterday. Now it is both speakers.

Crackling is there even at very low volumes, so I don't think this is a blown speaker issue. If it is, it is very strange that both speaker **** out 1 day apart from each other.

• Reset SMC, PRAM. No difference.
  • Killed coreaudiod, no difference.
  • Restarted, no difference.
  • Ran hardware diagnostics, all clear.

Cranked up the volume and reboot. Crackle is present on startup chime, so I am guessing this is an audio firmware issue rather than a coreaudio driver level issue.

So now I am trying to research exactly what firmware updates were applied between 11.7.4 and 11.7.8 and whether it is possible to downgrade the audio firmware if an update was applied.

Pretty sure clean installing to Mojave/Catalina or earlier Big Sur will not downgrade the firmware but I may try that too eventually. What a waste of time this expensive hardware is.

Super annoying as the laptop is useless for anything that requires audio now because of applying an update. THIS is why I tend to avoid apple OS updates as long as possible, security be damned. Too much waste of time to learn UI changes and have things broken preventing me from getting work done.

I know Apple is not too concerned with supporting older hardware, but I'm unlikely to continue buying their hardware with infuriating issues like this that apparently have been going on for a long time without resolution across a range of laptop models.