How to Fix Cracking and Popping Sound ?

Hello, is it anyone here ( or on this planet ) that can help with this issue on Catalina Mac OS 10.15.5 Beta 3 (19F72f).

I am using MacBook Pro 16 inches. 😟

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of JoyGlory Down vote post of JoyGlory
233k views
  • Same issue but with a new iMac 10-core i9....running Big Sur 11.6.1. I don't seem to have CoreAudio in my Activity Monitor to close and restart as others have recommended.

• I have the same issue after upgrading to Monterey 12.0.1. The sound continuously cracking both for output and input streams. I'm on Macbook Pro 13` 2015 (i5 2.9).

• Running Big Sur (v 11.6.2) on an MacBook Pro (13" | 2019) -- making sure that the ONLY application running is the one that you need/want to get audio from (in my case using Chrome)... so I had to quit FireFox, and Zoom applications and BOOM!!!! All of the choppy-ness is GONE and audio sounds WAAAAY better.... so, thanks to those who mentioned quitting other applications to fix this annoying problem!!!!

Replies

Still a bug on Big Sur 11.4 for me too.

Here, there is no need for Xcode to run, crackling happen on You Tube, Facebook, on Chrome or Firefox, Spotify app. Difficult to replicate. Sometimes I don't hear it for days.

From Apple to me re: Feedback reply Mar 18, 2021 at 4:57 PM – FB9047661: Xcode Simulator Accessibility Spoken Content Problems

Xcode & crackling speaker output while simulators are open on Macs running Big Sur:

Apple:

After reviewing your feedback, we have some additional information for you, or some additional information, or action is necessary for this issue:

Please verify this issue with Xcode 13 Beta 5 and update your bug report with your results by logging into https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/ or by using the Feedback Assistant app.

Xcode 13 Beta 5 (13A5212g) https://developer.apple.com/download/ Posted Date: Aug 10th, 2021

For a complete list of logging instructions visit: https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/

My reply to Apple:

Sorry, I do NOT run Beta Softwares on my machines anymore. I will let you know how the final Gold Master release works.

• I did install Monterey Beta 5 on one of my MacBook Pro Machines sn C02R90KQG8WQ. After installing Monterey Beta 5 this problem seems to be resolved when running Xcode 12.5.1. I also installed Xcode 13 Beta 5 (13A5212g) and tested the problem. It appears to finally be fixed in this configuration.

Add a Comment

Still a bug on Big Sur 11.5.2 for me too. I am using Macbook pro 16 inch. I have to restart my computer very .often

Is the issue resolved in MacOS Big Sur 11.6?

Having this issue on my MacBook Pro 16", but only when starting an iPhone simulator.

• Sadly, yes. For me, it happens even between switching songs in the built-in Music app. Before it only happened in Logic X Pro.

• Yes. I just saw this problem on my MacBook Pro 16" running macOS Big Sur 11.6 Previously, I used to restart my Mac whenever I get this issue. But today I learned from your comment that quilting the simulator seems to fix it.

Add a Comment

Happening for me on 11.6 (M1 MackBook Air). Might be associated with having an iPad app running (Overcast). I find if I use control centre to switch from Bluetooth to built-in for a moment and then back again the problem goes away. However as soon as something changes, e.g. next podcast in Overcast, you have to flick to speakers and back again once more.

I had this problem 3 times already and each time a small magnetic particle had ended up on the bass speaker. The vent openings are big enough for small particles to enter the inside of your Macbook Pro. The easy fix is to open your back cover and wipe the speaker clean with a soft brush and while you're at it give the rest of the inside a good clean with the brush as well. With later Macbook pros be careful when opening the back though as there are 2 clips and 2 hinges and when you have popped open the front and side of the lid you need to pull it forward to unhinge the back lid. If unsure just watch on youtube how to open it. Apple has changed the lid design for quite a few years now.

Monterey 12.0.1, MacBook Pro (14", 2021, M1 Pro)

Still no fix?! ***?!

• I had the same problem, I think there is a fix, open "Audio MIDI Septup", then go to Macbook Pro Speakers and select "96,000 Hz" and try again.

• This seems to work, though this might just obscure the actual problem by reducing the length of the faulty sound buffer content due to the higher sample rate. And of course it increases the general need of processing power for audio. There is definitely something wrong with the audio buffers. But at least it solved the problem for me at the moment, thank you.

• right, that just seems to be a workaround , not a solution, I also think there is something wrong with the speakers, I'm just not sure if ALL MBP are affected or just a few of them, I'm really thinking about returning my MPB I bought 1 week ago. that sound is annoying.

I just bought 6 days ago a new MBP 16'' M1 Pro 16GPU and I'm getting this annoying sound from time to time while watching youtube or listening to something else, I was also able to reproduce this issue several times by doing this.

open a browser (Firefox, Safari or Chrome) and play any youtube video (and try to lower the volume a bit), then open "Audio MIDI Device" select "Macbook Pro Speakers" then select "Configure Speakers" and finally click on the Test Icon (left or right), and every time the test audio ends the annoying sound will be there.

This is an expensive machine and do not think it should have this kind of issue.I'm thinking about returning it.

• My MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) has had this crackling problem consistently, happening almost every day for nearly 2 years now. It's maddening. So long as the coreaudiod process runs, my computer crackles! This is unacceptable for a bargain computer, let alone a so-called premium Apple product.

Since I've brought this issue in the forums $ before and since this continues to be a problem after sending my computer into Houston under Apple Care, this will be my last MacBook. It's a $4000+ POS. Anti-lemon laws, where are you? We need more regulation and consumer protections against companies that ignore serious problems for literally years.

• Indeed, this is INSANE. Been an apple dev for 20 years and just picked up a new 16" M1 running 12.0.1. I've written software licensed by Apple.

Consistently, I am seeing this issue. If I have audio playing friskyradio.com in a Chrome tab and when building stuff in Unity, the audio immediately and consistently crackles horribly. Clearly there is a live audio starvation or race issue where audio is getting hosed the second there is any load (i.e. Xcode and the iOS simulator only prime it). I'm seeing this while I check out large git projects or do builds in Unity.

It is JAW-DROPPING that Apple has yet to address this issue. My heart goes out to people here who have been waiting on this fix for over a year now. There was a day when Apple engineers would be EMBARRASSED to have this level of bug active for SO LONG.

If this issue (and Apple's negligence) has persisted for this long, across so many of their hardware lines, this is solid evidence that Apple has become the new Microsoft, so beware.

Guys, let's support each other on this issue and vote good posts up so an Apple manager can find this, champion it, and let us know how any of this is ok when buying a $4k machine.

Add a Comment

Hi,

I have the same problem with all sound going from my MBP 15, retina Late 2013 with macOS Big Sur. Is there any help how to resolve it?

Thanks.

Same here, way to go apple.

Running macOS Big Sur Version 11.6 on a Mac mini (late 2014) Using USB speakers. Getting this annoying crackling and popping sound. Don't recall having this problem until the last OS update.

Just want to chuck in my two pobble beads... Running an MBP 16" 2019 (8-core i9 2.4GHz, 64GB RAM, 8GB 5500M, 2TB SSD) bought May 2020. No problems at all until a few days ago when crackling started from my left side speaker grille. Tried resetting SMC, NVRAM, changing speaker format to every available frequency option, rebooting, using Terminal and Activity Monitor to play whack-a-mole with coreaudiod... Nothing worked. Re-installed macOS Monterey (12.0.1) yesterday and the issue disappeared. Until today. It's back but, er, only sort of. Occasionally, I hear crackle but not as much as I was experiencing when the problem first made itself known. But it isn't constant. It occurs when playing music through Apple Music, playing video through Apple TV and when watching video on YouTube (via Safari 15.1 or Firefox 94.0.2), and when running games on macOS or Windows 10 via Bootcamp.

Annoying doesn't begin to cover it. Apple needs to get this sorted. This issue has been affecting users of MBPs and MBAs for years now. Ridiculous. I'm posting simply to share info.

Well my 2019 Macbook pro right speaker has joined with all the others. Sounds like it is blown, but I don't listen to it at full volume, and last I used it, it was fine. Upon firing it up tonight and going to youtube, the right only sounds like it has either a bad connection, or the cone has become detached from the housing. Tried all the fixes on the software and setup end, but no change. The only reason I got this laptop was because I am a stock holder, and wanted to support the company. Now I'm just angry that this seems to be a very wide spread problem that Apple is not taking care of. I am very very disappointed with them. Maybe a class action lawsuit will get their attention.

there is definitely a problem with the audio buffers beeing played... i guess you are reading beyond the end of actual sound content when a sound finishes... will you ever fix this apple? do you even read this? there is no answer or reaction to those problems anywhere... we paid a lot of money and we expect the perfection you promise... so what is up? will you ever f**king solve those issues? is anybody even listening? hello?! anyone out there?

That is very annoying! In my case, the sound interruptions happen as soon as I start typing in IDE CLion with Clangd working in the background. Music is playing in Firefox 94.0.2. MBP 16 M1 pro, Monterey 12.0.1

The workaround with 96kHz in Audio MIDI Setup did not work for me. It is awful