iCloud deleted all my Desktop and Documents files

So I updated a machine with a bunch of files on the Desktop and in the Documents folder, and when I upgraded it asked me if I wanted to store these folders on iCloud as well. I hit YES and it began trying to upload everything. Now, I guess I had a large file in one of the folders because the total upload was almost 9GB (i have 200GB of available iCloud space). It failed the upload and has just been stuck on 57kb of 8.89GB uploaded for over a day. I've tried restarting and it hasn't moved. I haven't found a way to quit it either. This has been making my machine incredibly slow and has caused the fans to speed up like crazy. Anytime I try to access an Open or Save dialog, the app I'm using crashes, whether it's Preview, Xcode, Photoshop, or even Safari.

So I went to the iCloud system preferences and unchecked the "Desktop and Documents" item. I figured it wouldn't delete things that were still locally saved on my disk. But I was wrong and now every single file on both my Desktop and in my Documents is gone. Not in the trash, nowhere to be found. Gone.

Can any one help me with this? Has anyone experienced something similar? The iCloud upload is still there and still isn't progressing at all (not sure what its trying to upload anyways since the files were all deleted). My computer is unusable and my files are all gone. I have a Time Machine backup from last week, but I will not have access to for almost 2 more weeks so if there's a way to recover my files sooner and kill this upload task, that would be amazing.

Thanks.

• tick the DESKTOP & DOCUMENTS checkbox again and they will reappear as if nothing happened

• The functionality seems to be that everything that you save on your "Desktop & Documents" folders will be wiped away once you uncheck the box in the iCloud settings. Above, @productnerd mentioned that you can just check that box again and all of your stuff will reappear.

Once you uncheck the box, it wipes away all of the files and saves it onto the iCloud drive. If you try to login to iCloud to view the restore function, you will not be able to see the files. If you check the box, all of the files will be downloaded from the cloud and restored back to your computer.

This functionality is very invasive, especially if you don't realize that all of that information is in the cloud.

Once you get your files back onto your computer, move the files out of Desktop or Documents folders, then you can uncheck those boxes if you don't want iCloud drive to sync those folders. You can move it back if you want, but any time you turn it back on and off, it will delete it from your computer.

• This functionality deleted my wife's entire documents folder. At some point in the last 5 months, the save your "Desktop & Documents" to iCloud got checked accidentally, or perhaps a software update from Apple selected it for her, either way, this feature destroyed her work.

Call it this, call it that, but the way I see it, this is an intentional dark pattern to force people to pay for iCloud. It's beyond terrible for the user, it's a destructive shakedown for the contents of their wallet. One of my options right now is to give in and pay Apple a monthly subscription for Apple One.

That's not happening. Apple's approach to iCloud growth is shameful. This feature should not be a part of Mac OS. If you don't make it 100% clear to the user that they are about to delete their most important documents, you are makers of terrible software. There's no other way around it.

Accepted Reply

I thought the point of testing was to find things like this. Imagine if this happened when they released this in the fall.

I had the same thing happen to me. I unchecked the iCloud Drive Settings and then rebooted. When it came back up, it was still trying to upload the files. I think the process was called "bird". You can check in the Activity Monitor. Once I dragged all the files out of the /iCloud Folder (local) back to my documents, then I let it percolate and things ended up being okay.

I think Apple needs to put a bit more of a delay in that (e.g. maybe two acceptance boxes). When I clicked on the yes box, I completely forgot that I had several gigs of files in both my corporate and personal Dropbox folders as well as my Onedrive folder. It was the Ondrive yakking at me saying the "default folder has moved" that tipped me off to what was going on. Moving those folders created a bit of a "***" moment. It's all good and the experiece I hope will help others as well as Apple really understand the complexity of moving the contents of the Documents folder to the cloud.

Replies

Re: iCloud deleted all my Desktop and Documents files

Re: iCloud deleted all my Desktop and Documents files I need only ios Iphone My Phone name Melody's Iphone

Unibass

C02PC2EJGFWN

same. iCloud delete all files in desktop and Document and i cant found any iCould Archive in my folder... all files gone..

Ok, So I felt the need to respond because I literally not even two minutes ago somehow resolved the issue. I followed the instructions of turning off the iCloud Drive Desktop and Documents mess but was just left with all my folders being returned empty. I've been spending all day trying to allow it to upload but nothing uploaded after all the time waiting. I accidentally came about my resolution by going to Finder> Locations> Macintosh HD>Users> Home Folder> iCloud Drive Archive and all of my folders were there. Hope this helps👍

FOLLOW THIS IF ICLOUD DELETE YOUR FILES:

Finder> Locations> Macintosh HD>Users> 'Your user'> iCloud Drive Archive

All of your folders and documents are there. Hope this helps👍

PS: I was going crazy until I read this from someone and I reposted I in case you need it.
  • my folders and files from the last 2 months are not even in the cloud drive archive, I am thinking of let go of my macbook

Add a Comment
All of the above locations still were showing the state of my Documents from the day before which didn't have an entire days work. I only found the iCloud Archive by going to "Finder > Go > Home > iCloud Archive" there I could copy and paste all my folders back into Documents.
I woke up in the morning and went to search out a particular photo and found there was not "1" photo left in iphoto. Apple tech had no answers and could not help me. Icloud had deleted all of my photos in iphoto. So I decided to backup my desktop and documents folder through the preferences window on to icloud (brilliant, right?) and found a few hours later that all of my files, all of my art files for the last 16 years and every other file was completely gone. I spent all day on the phone with Apple and nobody could help me. The supervisors had no idea and in fact knew about as much as I did on the topic. I am devastated and shook. Thank God I had my Tinybooks bookkeeping program backed up on DROPBOX so I can do my taxes here in a couple of days. This is so scary, where are they? Out in cyberspace for anyone to look through 10,000's of documents that I have passed down from one Mac to the next. I used to do regular backups through itunes but they canceled that and I have had 3 external drives backup and then NEVER let me retrieve any files off them so I quit blowing my money on that. I'm really sad for all the loyality and money I have spent on my Apple products to be so uncertain and left out in the cold, really sucks!

I had this problem today. Do not understand why icloud works the way it does.

This is HORRIBLE. This just happened to me and I almost had a meltdown. It deleted all of my work documents. I called apple and they helped me restore some of the files. If you go to icloud there is a button that says restore. AFter you do this, then unclick icloud sharing of documents. If this does not restore all of your files, in the finder window type icloud archive and they should be there. That is the last time I try to use icloud. What an insane system.

Idk what's going on but all my stuff is getting deleted from my Mac and I have to re-download it through iCloud. This is BEYOND annoying.

LOST Files saved in HP Laptop windows 10 via iphone LOST Files saved in HP Laptop windows 10 via iphone

I BACKED UP ALL MY DATA in my HP laptop WINDOWS 10. I created a separate folder for all the pics and videos I made over few months and transferred from my iphone 11 to this laptop. This evening I got some errors popping up on my Windows saying the device connected to this PC has been removed or something. So I logged out of this M F icloud, they said the files will be deleted from icloud and I clicked YES because I thought I was saving it on my drive on my laptop. NEXT THING I LOST ALL MY FILES AND PHOTOS AND VIDESO. I can't believe there's is no Support on this topic or warning or anything. I am clueless where to find 20GB of data wiped out in just one Logout from icloud ????

Keep calm, they are not deleted. So icloud drive is really confusing. The first thing to understand, is that at some point in the past, your files were created in your laptop's hard drive, and from there at some point were synchronized or simply uploaded to icloud drive.

It is at this point that gets confusing. Once your files are in icloud drive, what is important for Mac as a service provider is that your files are always in icloud drive, safe and sound. Thus, if you buy a new computer, you simple use your files from icloud (from the cloud) as you need them, either by downloading them or by activating "icloud drive" and by clicking options / "desktop and docs folder"

So, when you are already using your macbook with icloud drive activated: FILES WILL BE IN BOTH YOUR LAPTOP's HARD DRIVE AND IN ICLOUD... except in the case you also activated the Optimizing option... then some files you rarely use will automatically be kept in icloud only... this is, will be deleted from your hard drive to save space.

So what happens when you go to system preference - icloud drive, and deactivate icloud drive... well, simply said, your files will be in icloud drive only (in the cloud = NO LONGER IN YOUR HARD DRIVE, kind of)....

but when doing so, that you instruct to keep the files in the cloud only, a backup is saved in your hard drive... you'll find it as "icloud drive (archive)" in your username folder (so pretty much it's still in your hard drive but moved its location, from icloud drive folder in finder to your username where applications etc are).

so if you want to undo all this, simply:

1. go to system preferences and activate again "icloud drive" and click options and be sure you clicked in "desktop and docs folder"... and be sure to click "optimize mac storage" below...

now, BE PATIENT, it takes times, perhaps for half an hour you will still see in Finder your icloud drive / documents or desktop folders EMPTY... but after some 20-30 minutes, suddenly... voila.. THE FILES APPEAR AGAIN... but perhaps your hard drive is full, and the files appear in Finder / icloud drive / documtns but with the symbol that they are in the cloud only (not in your hard drive).

1. Since you occupied a lot of space in your hard drive with the backup folder "icloud drive (archive)" , you have to delete this, perhaps copy-paste it to your external hard drive as yet another backup of your info in a physical hard drive. Once you delete "icloud drive (archive)" ... slowly the files in icloud drive (in the cloud), will be again available off line in (will be copied to) your hard drive... as they were before ...

the whole thing is confusing... but it works great... perhaps Mac's recklessness is not to explain all this clearly.. and leave the client with many months of headaches until one figures this out...

• my problem specific files from 2 months ago are the ones missing. I have followed all the above and I cant find them anywhere. i am so frustrated

Add a Comment

I have had this issue before - icloud eating my macbook pro desktop folders had I unwittingly add "desk top' to the icloud. Into icloud and un select desk top folders - all GONE!!!!

Long story short

on mac, open finder - look down left hand columb for iCloud Drive - opeon the iCloud Drive - in there are all the items eaten by icloud - just drag and drop onto your mac desk top - you now have reinstated to desk top

hope this helps .....