Installing macOS Big Sur beta

I installed the profile for macOS Big Sur, but I got updated to Catalina beta 10.15.6 beta instead.

Is it possible to install the Big Sur beta already?

Accepted Reply

Here’s the list of macOS Big Sur compatible Macs:

2015 and later MacBook
2013 and later MacBook Air
2013 and later MacBook Pro
2014 and later Mac mini
2014 and later iMac
2017 and later iMac Pro
2013 and later Mac Pro

Replies

@Albaluat, Low tech issue? Wrong keyboard layout? CAPS LOCK in place while typing?

Do you already see the colored macOS 11.0 Big Sur Beta Wallpaper?

Did you create a new specific partition of your SSD/Hard disk? Do you boot into the correct partition? How many drives do you see in Recovery mode?
  • Restart your Mac

• Immediately hold down Command-R

• Release them as soon as you see the Apple logo

Go to the Disc Utility and verify how many partitions you have ;-)

Good luck…
yes its quite an issue, I even got updated to 10.15.6 beta of Catalina instead of Big Sur, I use external SSD for OS in iMac, I am resting the iMac and will try to do it again.
Will post my workaround if I manage to install.
Same issue.

Only seeing option to update to 10.15.6 Beta 2, and no option for 10.16/11

Macbook (Retina 12") 2016 - compatible device.

Do we have a solution yet?
I have made a decision to install Mac OS Big Sur into a used 1TB external HD, which disk has already used over 500GB of files. I left my original internal SSD to stay 10.15.5. It's a safety decision that I believe I could have both systems to play with.

Yes, I have a external Mac OS Big Sur beta running cool (a bit slow) on my external HD connected by Type-C cable to my Mac Book Pro. But....

there are nearly 600GB data on my external HD has vanished!!! There are 4 clean normal folders look like a new formatted system disk. There are only 230GB out of 1TB free space left. The disk size is 899.8GB used and 230GB un-used. The old data lost in the "____"?
I can find it by Disk Utility. however, there are something wrong, the first partition is dimmed. the second data partition is on. The data partition has a big blue 600GB bar, plus a dark grey small bar before the empty space of 230GB.

After that, I switch back to Mac OS 10.15.5. and see the external disk, a Popup saids "unsupportable disk format" and shows a strange disk name called "update". The disk size is 899.8GB used and 230GB un-used. I went "startup disk" to check: it is the system disk with its own disk name on it. (It is not shows "Update")

I need to know how to get the data back? Please help.

Same issue here. Sometimes when I reboot I get the upgrade option but it still only downloads until 28 minutes remaining then does nothing. After I reboot it then says I have a Catalina update.
Yes. you can. its based on your choice.
I have an early 2013 MBP, have installed the Big Sur beta profile, and am still not getting an option to download the beta in System Preferences. It says my Mac is up to date with macOS Catalina beta 10.15.6.
I have downloaded setup via profile of beta developer and find some bug, after that, i have try to clean install big sur into my system. Now its fine but seeing some other bug like heavy text file not open in text editor. Text editor just goes shutdown. And 2nd today i got new beta 2 released but its showing 10.16 look like sent beta 2 for catalina not big sur.
I have the same problem. I have a later 2013 rMBP. When I installed the profile, I got Catalina 10.15.6 instead. Help plz
Hi,
MacOS BigSur Beta not loaded , only SafeMode

DiskUtil Not See Partition. 
please help. 

MacBook Pro Late 2013
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013); only the latest Catalina beta shows up. Sounds like others here. ;)
I am getting same problem on iMac 2019. Tried all options listed in this forum, but Software Updates is still stuck at 10.15.6
Same thing on my 2015 15" MBP! I installed the Public Beta from Apple's website, yet I am still only seeing 10.15.6 in System Preferences. My MBP is supported, and will be supported in Big Sur, but why am I haaving this issue? Does anyone know a solution?
For anyone else still stuck on the Catalina beta (10.15.6) in software update, I followed the instructions on the Mr Macintosh dot com site(not sure why but I'm not allowed to link to it here). I entered the Terminal commands to unroll and re-enroll and the Big Sur beta showed up in System Preferences.

Hope that helps!

I also followed the advice at MrMacintosh, even though my Mac showed the beta message on the left under Software Update. The fix also didn't work for me yesterday, but it worked tonight. As soon as I re-enrolled, Big Sur became available in Software Update. I didn't even have to quit and relaunch System Preferences.