macOS Big Sur breaks Razer peripherals

For whatever reason, my Razer Huntsman keyboard does work for the most part but none of the audio controls do anything on the keyboard. In addition, I've tried two different razer mice and neither work at all. Everything worked perfectly before the beta.

Replies

I had the same initial problem, and tried the solution suggested by avaddon.

Like some other people here, it didn't work for me until I also followed the suggestion by emoryvincent, who suggested that...

After avaddon's steps, I had to go to System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Privacy / Full Disk Access and then (once I'd unlocked the page by clicking on the unlock icon) I ticked next to RzUpdater.

I think this allows the RzUpdater access to some administrative settings. I have no real idea what I was doing but it worked (eventually)!
I honestly don't know a ton about coding, but I have a razer atheris that use for work and school, and I loved using the side buttons for productivity. I updated my MacBook Pro to Big Sur and it hasn't worked since. I found an app called steermouse that does the same thing as razer synapse without all the bells and whistles that razer synapse has.

I downloaded it off of homebrew (brew.sh), but it also works downloading it from the website.

Hope this helps those average joes just trying to get those side buttons working.

Apple won't let me attach the website, but just google steermouse and it's the first result.

If you get error like "Extension with identifiers com.razer.common.razerhid not approved to load. Please approve using System Preferences." after avaddon's solution, try execute the following:

Code Block
sudo kmutil load -z -p /Library/Extensions/RazerHid.kext

This command requires reboot to take effect.

Finally, I was able to recognize DeathAdder Chroma from Synapse 2 on Big Sur.
(USB un-plug and plug may be required.)

Many thanks to avaddon
  • This worked for me. I tried everything before but nothing worked. Until I ran that command and rebooted. Now it works perfectly. latest version of Monterey, on intel processor

Add a Comment
Hi all, i've the same issue.....but unfortunately for me the Avaddon's way don't work for me, after executing the kextload i receive back this:

Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load -p /Library/Extensions/RazerHid.kext

Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Unable to resolve dependencies for com.rim.driver.BlackBerryUSBDriverInt: 'com.rim.driver.BlackBerryUSBDriverInt, required by "com.tuxera.filesystems.tuxera_ntfs, com.rim.driver.BlackBerryUSBDriverVSP, com.softraid.driver.SoftRAID, com.hp.print.hpio.Laserjet.kext, com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver, com.hp.print.hpio.Deskjet.kext, com.corel.painter.PainterAudioDriver, com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet.kext, com.huawei.driver.HuaweiLogLevle, com.highpoint-tech.kext.HighPointIOP, com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet3.kext, com.hp.print.hpio.PhotosmartPro.kext, com.lexmark.print.usbmerge, com.highpoint-tech.kext.HighPointRR, net.tunnelblick.tun, com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet1.kext, com.razer.common.razerhid, org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt, com.novamedia.driver.IceraUSB_MSD_Bypass, com.hp.print.hpio.Officejet.kext, net.tunnelblick.tap, com.sony.driver.dsccamDeviceInfo00, com.NovatelWireless.driver.NovatelWirelessUSBCDCECMControl, com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet4.kext, com.hp.print.hpio.Photosmart.kext, com.hp.print.hpio.inkjet8.kext, com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet5.kext, com.hp.print.hpio.Designjet.kext, com.wch.usbserial, com.hp.hpio.hp_psa530_630_io_enabler, com.huawei.driver.HuaweiDataCardHiPortDriver" names a dependency on 'com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass', which was not found." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to resolve dependencies for com.rim.driver.BlackBerryUSBDriverInt: 'com.rim.driver.BlackBerryUSBDriverInt, required by "com.tuxera.filesystems.tuxera_ntfs, com.rim.driver.BlackBerryUSBDriverVSP, com.softraid.driver.SoftRAID, com.hp.print.hpio.Laserjet.kext, com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver, com.hp.print.hpio.Deskjet.kext, com.corel.painter.PainterAudioDriver, com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet.kext, com.huawei.driver.HuaweiLogLevle, com.highpoint-tech.kext.HighPointIOP, com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet3.kext, com.hp.print.hpio.PhotosmartPro.kext, com.lexmark.print.usbmerge, com.highpoint-tech.kext.HighPointRR, net.tunnelblick.tun, com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet1.kext, com.razer.common.razerhid, org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt, com.novamedia.driver.IceraUSB_MSD_Bypass, com.hp.print.hpio.Officejet.kext, net.tunnelblick.tap, com.sony.driver.dsccamDeviceInfo00, com.NovatelWireless.driver.NovatelWirelessUSBCDCECMControl, com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet4.kext, com.hp.print.hpio.Photosmart.kext, com.hp.print.hpio.inkjet8.kext, com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet5.kext, com.hp.print.hpio.Designjet.kext, com.wch.usbserial, com.hp.hpio.hp_psa530_630_io_enabler, com.huawei.driver.HuaweiDataCardHiPortDriver" names a dependency on 'com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass', which was not found.}

Any idea how to fix it ?
Fixed the problem by lowering the polling rate to 125 with Synapse on a Windows machine, thanks to the tip by @IoannisTzon. I'm afraid this won't help people without a Windows machine to hand... Razer needs to work on macOS support, man. This is a total joke.
Since no one has mentioned this, ultimately the reason is that Razer have not made Synapse 3 cloud drivers Mac-compatible. Supposedly they will... But I guess that, while they have enough resources to make their own gum and energy drink, they can't figure out Mac OS support or aren't that motivated.
I just hat a chat with Razer support this Morning: They don’t support MacOS and don’t have any plans to do so in the future.
I guess it’s time to say goodbay to Razer and start looking for peripherals that work with MacOS and will continue to do so in the future…

I’m very sad about this, too since I’ve been using Razer Mice forever now. Will look into Logitech’s G Pro Series or Steel Series as good alternatives. Logitech also has some good keyboards out there.

If there ever will be a natively supported Razer Synapse I’ll be back in a second but for now: Let’s see what the competition is up to.
After years of supporting Razer's products, I have given up.
There is no love for MacOS.

To go thru hacks and loops just to make Synapse work is just frustrating.
I have switched to Logitech.
all goes well up until I come to perform a sudo command when back logged in it will not accept my password at all and once I try and enter it within terminal it no longer accept it anywhere without performing an smf any advice avaddon?

getting this error now

Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Incompatible architecture: Binary is for x86_64, but needed arch arm64e" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Incompatible architecture: Binary is for x86_64, but needed arch arm64e}

Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Incompatible architecture: Binary is for x86_64, but needed arch arm64e" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Incompatible architecture: Binary is for x86_64, but needed arch arm64e}

anybody else had this error or know how to fix it ?

M1 MBP
I can report success on 11.2.3 with a Razer Chroma Tournament Edition Keyboard.

I did run into the issue of not being able to access the dialog to be directed to system preferences and did have to reset the flag in the sqlite db.

Also, I did not get the "Allow" button in the preferences until I actually plugged in the keyboard. Once I did I was prompted, rebooted and it worked great.
@LiveRocker same for me! I had every kind of Razer products for years on Mac, but after Big Sur I’ve simply realized that Razer doesn’t care at Mac users, so why do I need to buy products from a company that is not considering me?
Switched to Logitech too, it’s incredible that is like a new beginning for me, a world where things simply works.

LiveRocker wrote:> After years of supporting Razer's products, I have given up. 
There is no love for MacOS. 

To go thru hacks and loops just to make Synapse work is just frustrating. 
I have switched to Logitech.

Followed steps shared by avaddon and then fpoptrf, and finally my Razer Mamba TE is working on Big Sur v11.2.3 with Razer Synapse v1.88.20. I have a 2017 MBP, no M1 chip. Cheers guys!

Hi there guys,

So I have been dealing with this issue as well for the last couple of hours and tried all the things I found in this thread and on other places online. But unfortunately without any succes. So I had actually given up on it.

I'm using the Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed on a 2020 iMac with Big Sur 11.4. I just switched from a Catalina iMac where the mouse was working as can be expected.

I have Bootcamp installed with Windows 10 for some light gaming. So I installed Synapse 3 on Windows on my iMac and got everything configured. I also read somewhere to lower the refresh rate for 2.4 GHz to 125 to help with the lag you experience when using it on MacOS. I did a fresh install of both the 2.4 and BT version of the mouse and on Windows it was working fine. Since that is where I use the iMac for gaming, I was maybe not as dissapointed as I would otherwise been.

When I then switched back to MacOS I noticed that indeed the 2.4 mouse was working normally, nog lagging. So I also tried if I could couple the BT part of the mouse. And what do you know... it works! Just as well as on Windows.

So this might be a solution for people running Bootcamp (or willing to install Bootcamp for this issue). No need for the Razer software by the way!

Hope this might help for other frustrated folks!