macOS Big Sur breaks Razer peripherals

For whatever reason, my Razer Huntsman keyboard does work for the most part but none of the audio controls do anything on the keyboard. In addition, I've tried two different razer mice and neither work at all. Everything worked perfectly before the beta.

Replies

All I had to do was add the razerhid.kext to the privacy tab in Security & Privacy of System Preferences on the left categories of Accessibility, input monitoring, and full disk access, and then restart the system to get it working again.
I follow @avaddon's solution(Thanks avaddon)

Then I execute command in terminal
Code Block
sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/RazerHid.kext

I got pop up sheet ask for Allow
I got message response in terminal
Extension with identifiers com.razer.common.razerhid not approved to load. Please approve using System Preferences.
Synapse still display
PLEASE CONNECT A RAZER SYNAPSE ENABLED DEVICE

Then I go into System Preferences.
Add 'Razer Synapse.app' from Applications Folder into allow list both in Security and Privacy.

Then reboot. Then I got Success. Synapse is back.
I have the same case as Juleke94. In the end there is no allow button. I have Big Sur 11.1 and try to use Synapse for the first time, as I got myself a Blackshark V2 headset and want to use eq etc.

Anyone know an answer?
So what I just found out, is that Apple doesn't want those extensions anymore. Now I've seen that there are also "system extension". Apple says about it, they should be the future of the extensions, as they are not having deep access to the computer system.

I have absolutely no idea about all this and only found out about it, because I want to use software for my Razer headphones on my Mac as well. Now my question: is there any chance to copy "RazerHid.kext" from extensions to system extensions?

My problem right now is, that either "Add 'Razer Synapse.app' from Applications Folder into allow list both in Security and Privacy.", nor "All I had to do was add the razerhid.kext to the privacy tab in Security & Privacy of System Preferences on the left categories of Accessibility, input monitoring, and full disk access, and then restart the system to get it working again." works. I just don't see the allow button.
@Jandalf I recently had to reset my System Integrity Protection settings (csrutil clear) and once again ran into this issue, where my Razer device was not recognized.

I have upgraded to macOS Big Sur 11.1, and I can confirm that the solutions by @avaddon and @rdabban, which had worked for me on 11.0, no longer work.

Manually loading the kernel extension (the kextload command) will display the error code 27 "Extension with identifiers com.razer.common.razerhid not approved to load. Please approve using System Preferences.", but no pop-up or "Allow" option would appear anywhere on the System Preferences.

Adding the Razer TeamID with the /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add R2H967U7J8 command showed me a pop-up, but with no "Allow" option, and no option to allow the kernel extension would appear in the System Preferences, so no good.

I finally managed to make it work by temporarily disabling System Integrity Protection (SIP), as follows:
  1. Boot into Recovery Mode. This can be done by restarting your computer and holding Cmd+R on boot until a loading bar shows up.

2. Once in Recovery Mode, sign in with your account and open a terminal. You can find it in the top menu under Utilities > Terminal.

3. Disable SIP by running the following command: csrutil disable.

4. Close the terminal and reboot (normal reboot, not into Recovery Mode).

5. Open a terminal and load the extension with the following command: sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/RazerHid.kext.

6. Reboot (normal reboot, not into Recovery Mode) and confirm that your Razer device is now correctly detected.

7. Now we must reenable SIP to maintain system security. This should not break your device. Boot once more into Recovery Mode, open a terminal, run csrutil enable, close the terminal and reboot.

You should now be able to load your Razer device AND have SIP enabled.

Good luck y'all!
@fcoclavero

I have followed your directions below, but continue to get the following error:

Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=27 "Extension with identifiers com.razer.common.razerhid not approved to load. Please approve using System Preferences." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Extension with identifiers com.razer.common.razerhid not approved to load. Please approve using System Preferences.}

Any ideas?
None of this will work. The closest I got was disabling SIP— that allowed me to approve the extension. But then razer still said “connect a supported device” so I gave up and just changed the lights with the onboard presets. Out of luck on keybinds though I guess.
@avaddon

I went through the whole process and then realized that I have the new M1 and I am now just getting an "Incompatible architecture: Binary is for x86_64, but need arch arm64e"

Anyone have any thoughts on what would be possible? Or am I just screwed due to the different architecture?
I have the same problem as Caeldeth since I bought the m1 chip mac.
it works perfectly fine for me idk why but god loves me 😂
I followed the solution posted by @fcoclavero and worked fine until the last step. With SIP disabled, I was able to load my Razer device, but once I enable it, it stops working again. Anything I can do to fix that?
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of ws2 Down vote reply of ws2
Also tried the @Avaddon's solution, but when I reboot in recovery and tried the /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add XXXXXXX

And I get the following output:
/usr/sbin/spctl: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong? I'm on Big Sur 11.1.
I tried @fcoclavero's solution and the same thing happened to me as to @ws2. Any way of getting it to work again while still having SIP enabled?
@avaddon

I went through the whole process and then realized that I have the new M1 and I am now just getting an "Incompatible architecture: Binary is for x86_64, but need arch arm64e"

Anyone have any thoughts on what would be possible? Or am I just screwed due to the different architecture?
Got an M1 MacBook Air.

AT FIRST it detected everything, but cannot change the RGB settings or keybinds. Then eventually stopped working altogether. I do noticed that in the status bar on top, the Razer icon does appear and it shows all of my peripherals as well a the profiles.

So Synapse detects them, just won't work. I looked at my fiancé's MacBook and compared the two. Everything works on her MacBook. I then found the difference.

I noticed in System Preferences >Security & Privacy >Privacy >Input Monitoring, it is missing RzDeviceEngine.

Is there any way I can add that? I tried hitting the + | - and not sure how to add it to the list since I found the .plist but it needs to be a .app.

I tired @avaddon's solution but to no avail it does not work due to architecture incompatibility (M1 Silicone).
  • Hey! Could you figure out anything in order to solve this problem? I have an M1 MacBook as well and sadly I couldn't make Synapse work with @avaddon 's solution

Add a Comment