iCloud for Mac is stuck on "waiting to upload"

This has been a bug for a while now on Mac OS. When you sync your desktop/documents folders with iCloud at random moments it gets stuck and never finish uploading. The folder says "waiting to upload" indefinitely. I notice it happens more often when you do a git commit on a folder that is synced with iCloud.

Are there any work around for that?
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of iamlogiq Down vote post of iamlogiq
126k views
  • Having the same problem. Won't sync either way and only says 'waiting to upload'. Using macOS Catalina.

• I have also noticed this behaviour since upgrading my 2015 MBP to Big Sur. Prior to Big Sur I did not notice this behaviour. That said, one thing different for me from others in this forum reporting this problem is that the only folder this is occurring on with me is not one synced to Git. Instead it is one linked to my Fujitsu scanner that is setup to automatically deposit pdf files into this folder once they are scanned. Prior to Big Sur these files would immediately begin synching to iCloud the second that they were created by the scanner software. the latest update before the problem started occurring was MacOS 11.4.

To work around problem, I noticed that any edit (to the file that fails to upload) will solve the problem. (E.g. a CMD-C and CMD-P forces not only the copy but the original to upload; A name change will force the file to upload; adding a tag to the file will force it to upload, etc.) I also noticed that if I use a python script to place a file in the folder, or I use the command line MV command to place a file in this folder - the problem does not occur and the file uploads fine. Thus I am tempted to hypothesize that the cause of this issue is a change in 11.4 that perhaps deprecated or broke an indexing function of the file system who's job it is to mark files that have changed for upload. The Git repo process and the Fujitsu sync process may be using an API call that is now no longer triggering the file to be marked for synch. Whatever the case - it is clearly a bug and it is sad that FruitCo developers are not paying any attention to their own developer forum when a topic has 19K upvotes. Wake up Fruiters!

Add a Comment

Replies

I had a folder with a cloud in my Mac Finder that would not go away. None of the contents of the folder had a cloud. So, everything was sync'd to icloud which I could verify by viewing the files on my iphone. The solution was to create a new empty folder, move the contents from the original folder into the new one. Delete the old one and rename the new one to the same name. Fixed!

I fixed this by duplicating the problem file, waiting for new file to completely upload, then deleting the original. Seemed to do the trick!

I had the same problem earlier today, on my iPad. It’s an old issue, isn’t it. I solved it by the following -

1. Settings
  2. Tap my name (Apple ID, iCloud, etc.) at top left

3 Tap iCloud in list on right 4 Scroll down to iCloud Drive 5 Tap the green ‘toggle’ button, far right, to switch off iCloud’s use of iCloud Drive

At that point, a message opened saying that if I continued, data waiting to be uploaded to iCloud Drive could be lost if I continued to ‘disconnect’ iCloud Drive. There was an option to continue or cancel. 6. Hit CANCEL

I then went back to the app space on iCloud where I had tried to create a folder and upload a file, but which were ‘waiting’ and hung up. Immediately, the upload completed and was available across all my devices. Good Luck! Hold on to your sanity!

Hey Everyone - After reading this thread, I noticed the solution is not here. I found it already on another thread and it works like A MIRACLE. Hope this is helpful. And thanks to its author.

"do not forget that osx is based on unix. what helped me is changing of 'bird' process priority ('bird' process is responsible for icloud replication).

Double click on ☁️ iCloud icon in finder to see progress.

Go to Terminal

ps aux | grep bird

You will see your bird process id, in my case it is 815.

serg 815 98.8 0.8 4542828 137776 ?? U Thu09PM 2047:53.94 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CloudDocsDaemon.framework/Versions/A/Support/bird

Check current priority of bird process

ps -fl -C 815

(Replace 815 on your bird process id from step 3). If you never changed it before, it will be 0 (under NI column, but formatting of output is not nice).

Change priority (negative numbers are high priority, based on research -20 is the highest, but do not put it, I suggest to put -10) to do it.

sudo renice -n -10 -p 815

(again replace 815 on your bird process id from step 3). It will ask for password if you are not root currently in terminal.

If it worked, you should see progress in the iCloud progress dialog you opened on step 1. I cannot guarantee it will work always, as iCloud is blackbox. Unfortunately i.e. mac has a unix core, but all above it is blackbox proprietary software"

• I wish I could say that this magical trick work, but actually, I'm not sure! I finally got it to change the value (I chose -9 instead of -10), but actually the problems seemed to resolve itself before I made that change. I'm not an IT guy, but I can and have copied others' Unix code into terminal with some success. There was a slight hitch for me this time in that the line: ps -fl -C xxxx. returned two different lines with two different process ids. It turns out that the first one was the proper one to use.

However, things seemed to speed up BEFORE I successfully made this change, simply by logging out, logging in as root, then logging that out and going back to my usual login. Very strange.

Can you tell me: Now that I've changed the value to -9, is that permanent, or will it revert at some point? I'm trading in my MacBook Pro. Will I have to do it again, or do the settings carry over when you follow Apple transfer procedures?

• This sudo renice of the bird PID seemed to work. My files made it to the cloud afterward. - Thanks

• This helped me. You mention "bird", so I just opened Activity Monitor and force quit it (no looking for PID or anything). Works for me!

Add a Comment

I was definitely having this problem too. I tried several suggestions made here, but I'm unwilling to log out of iCloud and have it delete everything in iCloud and start again. That would take a huge amount of time and I'm not sure it would completely solve the problem. (Would I have to do that again and again?) In my case, I discovered that the problem probably wasn't that the process wasn't happening, but rather that it was just incredibly slow. The new files that I was adding which didn't seem to be uploading were video files, typically 3 to 5 MB. One thing I tried to kickstart the process was to log into iCloud in Safari, navigate to the folder where uploads should be landing, then navigate to the corresponding folder in the Finder and drag a file from Finder to the Safari window. That certainly seemed to start the upload process, but now I'm not sure that it wasn't already going.

The next thing I did was to go to a Finder window and scroll down the sidebar to iCloud Drive. (I should have done this first.) I could see the (almost empty) progress wheel indicating that uploading was happening. By clicking the info button, I could see that 4 files were being uploaded and that a tiny fraction of the 12 MB had already made it to iCloud. The fact that the number didn't change quickly made me wonder if it was stalled, but by being patient I could see that it was slowly moving. It took more than an hour, but eventually all the files went up. Unfortunately I can't know if my "kickstart" helped or if it was already happening and I just didn't notice.

Of course, that upload speed is not acceptable!

So the next thing I tried was the terminal commands suggested by b1connected. Changing the priority of the upload process seemed like a hopeful avenue. I'm not a frequent Terminal user, so when I had trouble entering my password (there's no blinking cursor and no indication that it's even taking your input until you hit enter) I stopped and decided maybe I should log in as root. I realized that I had never enabled the root user on this machine, so I went into system preferences and did that. (Apple gives clear instructions on how to do this. You can look it up.) Then I logged out of my Mac (NOT out of iCloud), and logged back in as the root user. Now I could use Terminal and it would take my commands without a password. But after running Terminal, I realize that my desktop wasn't there and I didn't even know how to find my notes on how to do the Terminal process recommended by b1connected.

Ok, not worth it. I logged out of root and logged back in as myself.

Just on a whim, I went to one of my desktop folders and duplicated a 2 megabyte file. In seconds, it uploaded to iCloud!!!

It makes no sense to me that simply logging out, logging in as root, logging out, and logging in as me should work, but it seems like it did. I have no idea if this will last. Maybe the problem will come back tomorrow.

I did go ahead and do the Terminal procedure recommended by b1connected. Why not?

I also faced this problem and I think it's time to move to dropbox because that problem is open during one year and still not solved.

Add a Comment

I've been stuck on this issue for about 2 days, actively trying to solve it. SOLVED NOW! My iCloud Drive folders/files did not appear on my MacBook and newly created files were not uploaded to derive no matter what I did. I tried logging out/in, killing bird process, increasing priority of the process, digging down to the logs and so on... In the end, solution was pretty easy.

BEFORE: I had 2 user accounts on my MacBook, work and private account. Work user account had work Apple ID as primary iCloud account and personal Apple ID as secondary iCloud account to only fetch events from private calendar. Private user account had personal Apple ID as a primary account.

NOW: As soon as I removed personal Apple ID from work user account (used to be secondary account without possibility to sync files), syncing started to work on my private user account (personal Apple ID as primary iCloud account)!

@apple - how about mentioning this somewhere in troubleshooting guides? Same Apple ID accounts cannot be used in 2 different user accounts on different level (primary vs. secondary) simultaneously?

This is really disruptive not to mention frustrating. Come'On Apple!

I just restarted my mac and it works again.

Same here---permanent "Waiting to upload".

Still failing even after iCloud logout/login.

Apply still hasn't responded to this thread even after 3 years.

Not much of a cloud. Pretty embarrassing.

Thank goodness for OneDrive and Google Drive.

I found this tip: https://sleonproductions.com/how-to-fix-icloud-drive-stuck-at-uploading-in-mac/

after that I gave the command killall bid in the terminal and it seems fixed. hope it stays that way..

• This solved the problem! Thank you, I recap here the correct procedure:

go to ~/Library/Application Support/delete the folder named 'CloudDocs'Open Terminal and type killall bird

Done!

Now all the eventually corrupted iCloud cache is gone, the files start syncing from scratch and no more cloud icon next to folder and files...

• Thank you, this solved the problem of iCloud not syncing or being stuck with cloud icon next to some folders/files. I give below all the correct steps (the terminal command you suggested is not 100% correct, there is a typo):

Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Delete the folder 'CloudDocs'Open Terminal and type killall bird

Boom, problem solved: iCloud corrupted cache is gone and files/folder start syncing from scratch and every cloud icon next to folders / files is gone!

• This solution fixed this same issue for me! Thanks!

Add a Comment

I'm having the same issue. Been happening repeatedly for the past 2-3 years now. Signing in and out of iCloud has worked previously, but it's not a viable long term solution as it requires uploading many GB of files, and takes many hours each time. I have gone as long as 6 months with no issues before, but I've had this issue twice in the 2 weeks.

The most recently time, I tried Jurjan's advice above (deleting the CloudDocs folder, and then killing the iCloud Service Helper), which seems to have worked (it still took a while as it re-synced GBs of data, but not as long as a full afternoon of re-downloading).

With Apple's cloud services (and iCloud in particular), being a key pillar of their business and product strategy, this really needs to be resolved. People like myself may be considering alternative Cloud Drive options. When iCloud works, it's great, and seamless, but having iCloud fall over in the background without notification or clear resolution is not sustainable. It's also not ideal that there have been no official acknowledgement or feedback of the issue from Apple (unless I've missed it)?

Hoping this gets picked up and resolved soon.

I confirm this issue is cross-platform (macOS, Windows) and it's interesting it hasn't been resolved yet

Empty your trash is the solution to fix waiting to upload bug on iCloud 🔑

• Depressed by days spent on this issue, I thought it was a joke and instead it just did the trick! Thanks @Chrishayes508

• I was certain this was a troll post. You can imagine my surprise when, after two weeks of struggling, this turned out to be the solution. Thank you very much, Chrishayes508.

Add a Comment

I was exporting Pages files to PDFs and not changing the name....everything before the extension stayed the same. I renamed the pdf (added pdf to the name and it immediately synced.

In some cases, I can open a file in a folder that is not syncing and it will upload. Watch the progress indicator in the sidebar.