iCloud for Mac is stuck on "waiting to upload"

This has been a bug for a while now on Mac OS. When you sync your desktop/documents folders with iCloud at random moments it gets stuck and never finish uploading. The folder says "waiting to upload" indefinitely. I notice it happens more often when you do a git commit on a folder that is synced with iCloud.

Are there any work around for that?
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of iamlogiq Down vote post of iamlogiq
126k views
  • Having the same problem. Won't sync either way and only says 'waiting to upload'. Using macOS Catalina.

• I have also noticed this behaviour since upgrading my 2015 MBP to Big Sur. Prior to Big Sur I did not notice this behaviour. That said, one thing different for me from others in this forum reporting this problem is that the only folder this is occurring on with me is not one synced to Git. Instead it is one linked to my Fujitsu scanner that is setup to automatically deposit pdf files into this folder once they are scanned. Prior to Big Sur these files would immediately begin synching to iCloud the second that they were created by the scanner software. the latest update before the problem started occurring was MacOS 11.4.

To work around problem, I noticed that any edit (to the file that fails to upload) will solve the problem. (E.g. a CMD-C and CMD-P forces not only the copy but the original to upload; A name change will force the file to upload; adding a tag to the file will force it to upload, etc.) I also noticed that if I use a python script to place a file in the folder, or I use the command line MV command to place a file in this folder - the problem does not occur and the file uploads fine. Thus I am tempted to hypothesize that the cause of this issue is a change in 11.4 that perhaps deprecated or broke an indexing function of the file system who's job it is to mark files that have changed for upload. The Git repo process and the Fujitsu sync process may be using an API call that is now no longer triggering the file to be marked for synch. Whatever the case - it is clearly a bug and it is sad that FruitCo developers are not paying any attention to their own developer forum when a topic has 19K upvotes. Wake up Fruiters!

Add a Comment

Replies

Disable icloud and then re-enable, while re-enabling uncheck Desktop and Documents folder. Repeat the process again while keeping the previous checkbox unchecked. wait for sometime and It will start working.

I have dealt with this problem for a while. I realized that just because I love apple hardware and most of its software does not mean I have to use every solution they provide. In my opinion their cloud engineering needs some work and for that reason I have decided to use better storage system. I would recommend looking into other non-apple options if sync is critical to you as it is for me. There are a ton of cloud providers out there, this might be your best rather than waiting on apple. Not throwing shame on the company, its by far one of my top favorite enterprises and brands, but just as every company they cannot be good at everything, they are already good at most things they do.

Hope this helps, God bless!

Hi All,

I've tried every other solution and the only thing that has worked was getting rid of the CloudDocs folder and killing the bird process - but the key was killing it twice. Once immediately before removing CloudDocs and once after. I worked it as an easy one-liner here for y'all. Good Luck!

killall bird; rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/CloudDocs; killall bird

• Thanks a lot for this - this worked immediately and will be my go to solution moving forward. I had constantly on my M1 Air files stuck on upload and I can finally access my documents in the cloud again.

• Hi FrankTime, thanks so much for this. It looks so simple I figured even I could do it. But when I did, logged in as me, I got this result:

rm: ~/Library/Application Support/CloudDocs: Directory not empty No matching processes belonging to you were found

Any idea what is happening?

• This worked for me, too. One thing to remember: Terminal needs "Full Disk Access" to be able to completely delete the CloudDocs folder. This needs to be set in "System Preferences" -> "Security & Privacy" -> "Privacy" -> "Full Disk Access". Without this, some of the contents cannot be deleted and the sync process is not kicked off again. Reset this setting after executing the command, if needed.

I found a very simple solution on (https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/264915/icloud-drive-is-stuck-uploading-items-and-no-longer-syncs) - opposite no 16 in red on the left of the answers: Open Terminal and type in killall bird and it worked in a flash. Whether it has any other consequences, I have no idea!

• This worked for me instantly. killall bird in a term window immediately unstuck the process and made everything flow.

Add a Comment

In Finder, if I just duplicated the stuck file it would make a copy and then the original would immediately sync too.

For me this was a .md file, so I can't vouch that it will fix other files with this problem. But duplicating it seemed to jump start the sync, and then I deleted the copy and that synced right away too. Hope that helps someone. That's under Monterey 12.3.

I am having the same issue with my Mac and now all of the folders and docs have disappeared off my desktop. Any answers to this issue?

Move files off desktop (or off of/out of iCloud area) waiting to upload then replace.

My Scenario: File folder located on Desktop stuck in 'waiting to upload' status is moved to removable drive. Delete folder waiting to upload off Desktop. Them move folder back from removable drive to Desktop. Folder then uploaded. That has solved my issue for the moment. Hope it helps.

i found that renaming the folder restarted the sync process. if you have a lot of folders in the state "Waiting to Upload" then this simple technique may not be suitable. In my case i had two desktop folders, one very small and the other quite large(~4GB) but the rename process worked for both of them

Was having waiting to upload issues, and logging in Issues. tried a number of the solution suggested nothing worked. I eventually found a the solution .I had Radio silence App running in the background . It was blocking network communication with icloud. I removed the the app. All issues have been resolved

I have had this issue twice. The first time was resolved when I updated my Monterey operating system. Recently it happened again. I believe I know what caused it, at least in my instance. I created a file in the FILES app on my phone and immediately deleted it. I don't think it had a chance to upload to iCloud and when I check the folders on my M1 Air, Waiting to Upload appeared.

This time I shut off Desktop and Documents on both Apple devices that I had syncing (M1 Air and iPhone). I deleted the Documents folder as that was the one hung up. I reloaded the documents from a backup that I had created prior. Once everything syncs all was well again. It was a pain and I only have about 15GB of documents. Hopefully Apple will get this worked out. I'm not holding my breath as many of these posts go back years. In the meantime, I'm going to give everything plenty of time to sync before I delete files.

This seems like an absurd solution, but it definitely worked for me. I had a number of apps open for quite a while, so I closed all of them, and the small file that had been hung up for days uploaded instantly. I'm on an iMac with an M1 chip. Try it, it's an easy solution if it works and no sweat if it doesn't.

Having the same problem but besides the solution mentioned here, but cabled internet works also. Much easier. Do not know if it works for everyone though

I logout of the Mac and login immediately , the files upload right away. But this seems to defeat the whole purpose of icloud. I use dropbox in the past and never has this problem!

A simple killall bird command in the terminal works perfectly for me. It is probably related to the synchronization process priority, which got so low in priority that stuck in the progress. When you kill the process the system automatically restart it and finish the sync correctly.

A perhaps similar or related bug was reported via Apple Support, it's discussed on Apple Community here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254020030