Subscription for tokens that are redeemed on a physical product but also

Hi all, hope you can help. I've tried App Dev support, even submitted a TSI (waiting on but is not the most appropriate tech support request!) and similar forum posts have no obvious resolve.

Essentially this is a IAP grey area issue...

The app is a home baking app.
  • It has a free membership with some digital content access.

• It has an IAP sub membership for access to all the recipes as opposed to only some on the free tier,

• It has a 3rd 'box subscription tier', see below....

The box subscription is a tier where they will receive physical goods - boxes of baking goods, some perishable, as well as utensils etc. It is a physical product.

Because the boxes have perishables, as well as this being an activity they may need to plan time for we are implementing a 'token' system, much like Audible do tokens monthly. This means they can store tokens on account and redeem for boxes to be sent as and when they need to. It is really important that these are a subscription to keep them part of the club and have access to digital content too....

So the problem lies is - should we implement IAP for this or not. We do not wish to as IAP for the ultimate physical products is not a tenable price structure with the fees. Also I know Apple won't want IAP associated with physical products.

We are building for Android and Web so we will honour all purchases across their accounts no matter the platform. The tokens are key so we can keep a subscription model (the whole business model) and allow flexibility of timing.

Ideally we'd have...

1) Free membership - some recipe content

2) All recipes - IAP content only

3) Box subscriber - token/s added per month for a recurring CARD transaction carried out in the app not outside. They use the tokens for ordering boxes (1 or 2 tokens a box) as and when but hopefully monthly when prompted.

I've read on the forums that even if the content is 'tokens/currency' then if those tokens are spent on physical goods then Apple prefers that not being IAP even though is an on platform currency. They will allow an in app card transaction (we will include Apple Pay as an included option of course)

However the sticking point I see is that the way we plan it - the monthly sub for tokens will also unlock access to all recipes - digital content - and this is where the lines blur.

We ideally need an opinion from Apple before we commit multiple platform developers to a system that may not fit in with Apple IAP rules. But Apple Dev support can't comment, TSI request is likely inappropriate as not code level.

So any advice would be very welcome!
Many thanks