iOS 14 Mobile Data for Apps bug

Since updating from 13.5.1 to 14.0 Public Beta 2 on my iPhone 11, I'm unable to turn on mobile data for specific apps. When wanting to change mobile data usage restrictions for apps, the system would not register the change of allowing mobile data.

Description: Using Settings > Mobile Data, I find the specific app and select "WLAN & Mobile Data" from the 3 options. As soon as I leave this page to launch the app, I continue to receive a prompt asking me to allow mobile data in settings - eg the app is still disconnected. On the settings page, I find my selection of "WLAN & Mobile Data" reverted back to "WLAN" - usually as soon as I leave settings.

Impact: This bug makes my iPhone a useless paperweight when it's not connected to WLAN. All apps that didn't have mobile data access prior to the update are affected.

Common solutions I've tried (which didn't work):
  1. iPhone Restart / Force Restart

2. Play around settings for mobile data - toggle roaming

3. Reinsert sim / use a different sim.

4. Delete and reinstall affected apps

5. Disable Content & Privacy Restrictions in Settings > Screen Time

6. Reset network settings

Reference: Other users experienced a similar problem on earlier iOS versions which is commonly known as the toggle switch issues - check thread here.

Is anyone else experiencing this bug in iOS 14? Any solutions or work arounds?
  • fixed it check the other post in here some where

Add a Comment

Replies

Same thing on iOS 13.4.1, iPhone 7... I really need a workaround this bug, otherwise I can't use my apps!
Same thing here too, iOS 14.0.1 there are quite a few that are having a problem accepting my permissions, i would turn them on but once i leave the settings app the permission would toggle back to 'Off' even though i had just gave it permission to 'WLAN and Data'
Yes, I installed ios 14.0.1 just 2 days after ios 14 came and the problem still remains. Itstso annoying because our phones are literally useless if we go out and are without wifi connectivity. Please fix this bug ASAP.
This is still a problem. iPhone X, iOS 14.0.1. No app-specific cellular data toggles will stay on. You set it on, leave and come back and it is turned off again.
I'm replicating the same issue on 14.2. beta 3 and the phone is practically unusable, luckily I have my S10e as a fallback with me.

This is really disappointing, as I switched to iOS specifically due to the renowned stability of software. Hope there is a solution soon.
FYI this was fixed for me by updating to iOS 14.1 that was released yesterday.
I might not be in the right place but, having upgraded this very morning my iPad IOS to version 14.2 on an IPad Air 2019, II find myself in a very odd situation whereby :
1) mobile toggle switch doesn’t work at all, keeping standstill as ‘ON’ ( luckily ! )
2) connection appears to be running smoothly even though no 4G sign is being shown in the ( usual ) upper right corner of the screen
3) no data roaming toggle is visible as well
4) my provider ( Fastweb, an Italian carrier )is not detected, even if is actually running in the background
5) can’t possibly display expand / or key in APN

it definitely a bug

any clues as to how to sort it out ?

piero

PS please bear with my English

Yes I have the exact same problem as @jodles but I still have it even though I’m using iOS 14.2 please help what do I do? Thanks
Reset Network Settings solve my problem , ios 14.2 iphone 11 pro max .
Same problem on iPhone XS with iOS 14.2 ..
Low data mode has basically ruined my phone.
a backup was made in low data mode and apparently the phone imprinted this on my ICloud and even when the phone is not connected to cellular network- even if there is not a SIM card..... the device associated with my iPad and phone thinks it’s in low data mode and won’t properly restore my backup. I’ve lost over a year of data— messaging... and app backup. This is infuriating. Thanks Apple. Given me another reason to choose Android
It is so annoying, I do not have that much mobile data volume and I always go on YouTube by accident when I’m not connected to the WiFi. This is using all my mobile data just because my phone can’t recognize that I turned it off!!!
I too am having the same problem.. I am soo much frustrated. Why apple didn’t do anything as the same problem was also there in iOS 9.. what is the use of buying such an expensive phones if it doesn’t do what it’s meant to do!! I am very upset @apple
I’m have the same issue for about 3 months now. Have no Wi-fi since I moved home so can’t even access the apple App Store. Massive bug that apple need to sort ASAP!! I can’t imagine an android device would have such a massive disabling bug affecting so many devices for so long!

The same issue happens on both iPhone X and iPhone 12 mini which was restored via the backup on iPhone X. Limited or no access to the internet for a few data consumption app over the cellular network (some game, voice or video stream services app etc., not all apps are affected, affected apps can perform 'log in', load thumbnail, but not able to get the video played or get into the main game (Wild rift for instance.). This issue happened before iOS 14 was out, and completely transmitted via backup and restore to new devices. A full network setting reset won't fix it.