iOS 14 Mobile Data for Apps bug

Since updating from 13.5.1 to 14.0 Public Beta 2 on my iPhone 11, I'm unable to turn on mobile data for specific apps. When wanting to change mobile data usage restrictions for apps, the system would not register the change of allowing mobile data.

Description: Using Settings > Mobile Data, I find the specific app and select "WLAN & Mobile Data" from the 3 options. As soon as I leave this page to launch the app, I continue to receive a prompt asking me to allow mobile data in settings - eg the app is still disconnected. On the settings page, I find my selection of "WLAN & Mobile Data" reverted back to "WLAN" - usually as soon as I leave settings.

Impact: This bug makes my iPhone a useless paperweight when it's not connected to WLAN. All apps that didn't have mobile data access prior to the update are affected.

Common solutions I've tried (which didn't work):
  1. iPhone Restart / Force Restart

2. Play around settings for mobile data - toggle roaming

3. Reinsert sim / use a different sim.

4. Delete and reinstall affected apps

5. Disable Content & Privacy Restrictions in Settings > Screen Time

6. Reset network settings

Reference: Other users experienced a similar problem on earlier iOS versions which is commonly known as the toggle switch issues - check thread here.

Is anyone else experiencing this bug in iOS 14? Any solutions or work arounds?
  • fixed it check the other post in here some where

Add a Comment

Replies

I also had this problem for a year. Try resetting your settings. That’s what it took for my iPhone to work again!

Oooof I actually fixed it…, I was just experiencing the same problem recently while reading this Forum, I tried almost everything on this board as well but doesn’t work and then I thought of the toggle issue from a computer tech / engineer perspective and some how it worked, so I think how it happened iirc, i switch off data for a game, ate too much data, phone broke down iPhone X iOS 11, bought new phone iPhone 12 iOS 14, backup old phone restore to new phone, this problem happens, game loads and then disconnects, only works on wifi, checked mobile data is normal and turned on, i tried checking with data off and the game complains no data, so technically the game can logon but then gets disconnected, ——- so the solution in this particular order, force close game/app and everything else, switch mobile data OFF for the game/app, force close everything including settings, may not apply but do it anyways just close everything, now do the volume up volume down and screen lock button and Switch phone off, wait a few seconds , switch it back on, go back to mobile data and turn it back ON for the app/game, and finally, launch your game —— problem solved and hopefully it works for you, good luck

the reason for having to force close everything is that in computer apps especially running softwares, after you change settings and then close the app, the settings are overwritten by the closing app again, like windows registry settings in most cases, so it might undo what you did when you do a toggle, I’m not sure if it applies here but that’s just a step extra I would normally do to troubleshoot problems.

I saw another query posted by someone else in here for a different issue, do the same thing, force close everything, do the setting you need in the opposite of what it is or what it originally is, close everything, switch off the phone, turn it back on, apply the settings you want and then maybe reboot the phone again and then launch the app/ software

• I thought about this on the way home, I reckon this bug occurs because maybe that is more than one layer of code that determines the setting, on the first layer the toggle turns it on or off, but the second layer goes thru an if else statement, via a reboot script or something, the toggle state is on, u toggle it off it didn’t write anything , you toggle it back on again it didn’t write anything because the original state is already on , so it doesn’t write to the second layer of configs, but when you toggle it off, and reboot the phone, it writes those data thru as the state actually changed from boot perspective, so after boot, it then detects that change this time and writes it down the second or more layers to the off state thus overwriting the restored state it was in which is off and then when u toggle it back on this time it continue to detect the change and that fixed the problem. But I could be soo wrong.

Add a Comment

I am seeing the same issue. I have reached out to Apple support and they said it was a SIM card issue. Got a new SIM card and still is an issue. The only thing that seems to work is a network reset and that only last for a day or so. Seems like some apps that I use often on cellular seem to stay working and the rest seem to stop. The only thing I can do in safari is google other that that I can’t go to any sites unless I’m on WiFi. This is so frustrating

You can go to the application settings and select the "Cellular data" switch, it helped me

I've been having the same issues recently too. My phone is an iPhone XS and many of my apps won't work without wifi. I'm running on the newest version of 15.5 and I've tried everything. I have roaming turned on, I turned off and on data usage for these apps, I've taken out and reinserted my SIM card, and I've reset my network data. Nothing works.

My mom was having the same issue on her iphone and so what i did was went to settings/ cellular and scrolled down to current period and current period roaming. I saw that some apps were on and others weren't ,after testing i realized the on apps we're using mobile data and the ones that work were not!!! This really changed the game. Now she has access to all the apps off wifi. I hopes this helps

Since updating ios yesterday I cannot use any app on cellular data. I have restarted, forced shut off the phone, changed roaming settings, verified all my apps are allowed to use cellular data, but nothing will connect if I do not have a wifi connection.

This is horrible, so it sounds like we are having the same issue.

• Monkfu, did you ever get a fix for your issue? I'm having the exact same problem.

Add a Comment