After Installing MacOS Big Sur latest beta update, My mac is showing battery service required warning in battery Icon.

Hi, I installed and update the macOS Big Sur latest available beta and after installation is done, It is showing me battery service required warning in my battery icon, My mac is new and it's been hardly 5-6 months and used casually.
  • Is it the same with macOS Monterey?

Add a Comment

Replies

Same issue with the non-beta 11.1.

13" 2018 Touchbar MacBook Pro. The day after I updated the battery failed (the last time I checked the battery life a few months ago I was at 98%). Couldn't start the computer for 2 days—just got the red dead battery icon on a black screen when trying to restart. Resetting SMC and PRAM did not help. Apple support sent me to a local certified reseller/service and they said top case/battery replacement was needed at ~$700 (I am out of Apple Care coverage I also discovered...).

Not happy about it! I ran out and picked up a little MacMini so I can keep working while this gets sorted. It seems this may be a firmware issue in the SMC or Battery? Hope this gets acknowledged/resolved before* I need to replace the battery/top case.

I also posted about this in the Macrumors forum (referencing this thread) to see how many people are experiencing this.
I have the same issue. After update to the Big Sur, my battery capacity is significantly reduced. I called the Apple service. The service guys is so dumb. He just ask me to change the battery. I told him this happens right after I update my system and my batterray was really good. I only had this mac for over a year. He said things happens in life like battery fail. He is just so dumb like a *****. I am asking for solving battery issues but he talks about philosophy. Just ridiculous. I think Apple just want to make more money.
I have same problem: when I sleep my mac (macbook pro 15 late 2013 i7 2.3GHz), I can not wake it up without branching my charger, after log in, I use normally without branching. And now, I can see nothing in my status bar except menu : file, edit, view, Apple logo in the left, etc. (clock, date, icons in the top right, etc. disappear).
same problem with my 19years 15' mbp.

i try update BigSur version , it died , totally not working , screen now show , power key not response 。。。
same issue with my 19year i9 mbp, update bigSur show that battery service version , then i update next little BigSur version , it totally die , yes can't start up again .
same issue ....
Battery replacement cost incurred.
After replacement, Apple says to get a refund if approved
Put on hold and come home

2016 mbp touch
Same issue. Installed Big Sur 11.1 and battery will not charge. Shows 1% and "Service Recommended." No problems with the battery or charging before installing Big Sur. Battery cycle count in the low 300's.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports); 2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5.
Battery Information:
Model Information:
Manufacturer: SMP
Device Name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 901
Hardware Revision: 1
Cell Revision: 3922
Charge Information:
Fully Charged: No
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 3888
State of Charge (%): 1
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 309
Condition: Service Recommended

There have been several issues (including unintended key repeats..) after updating to Big Sur, and now the battery issue added to the list.

I have MBP 2018 13-inch, with less then 200 battery cycles, and battery condition is "Service Recommended." Since I mostly use it with the power connected, I'm not sure how long this battery problem has been going on.

Charge Information:

Fully Charged: Yes

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 3843

State of Charge (%): 100

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 164

Condition: Service Recommended
Mid-2014 13in MBP Retina. Same issue. Immediately after install of Big Sur, I got Battery Service Recommended warning and the macbook would not last more than an hour on battery. Charging took long time to bring to full charge. Battery only 2 years old and 550 cycles. Contacted support. They said to bring it to the store. Contacted support again, they said they will not help at all since my battery was previously replaced by SquareTrade warranty who is not authorized. She insisted the problem was my battery and was rude. I wiped the drive, did a fresh install of Catalina and I am back in business. No warnings. Battery health is normal. And I am back to lasting over 6 hours on battery. Completely unacceptable how apple doesnt stand behind their faulting upgrades.
I'm having the same issues. It was fine before I upgraded to Big Sur, now the battery dies really fast and is saying the battery capacity is significantly reduced. Chatted with apple support this morning they want me to bring it in saying the battery is bad.

MacBook Pro 2017
Same with my 13"MacBook Pro (early 2015). Battery was at around 70% capacity, now it's at 2% and does not charge. MacBook only works when connected to charger.

A fresh instal of Catalina did not help.

This is something that should not happen and Apple should compensate everyone affected with the update.
I have a related issue on a new M1 Air. Showing battery service recommendation with only 5 cycles and 100% capacity. How is this happening on a brand new device?
I have to say I'm extremely disappointed in Apple. There are 12+ pages of folks having the same issue and not a peep.
I have become so angry about this and being charged £200 that I’ve enlisted legal advice from Irwin Mitchell and now on 3 weeks without w laptop it was supposed to be with me on the 28th they shipped it out of the country for repair and now it’s stuck in Germany.
This is very clearly an issue caused by bigsur update and yet they immorally charge us for the fixing of the problem. They’ve charged me £200 but haven’t bothered to tell me what they’ve even done with my laptop or whether it’s even fixed.
£200 to fix a laptop that ran perfectly like the day I got it and then minutes after restarting following bigsur update it’s broken - it’s not rocket science to work out what went wrong.
to charge people to fix a laptop that broke as a direct result of your incompetent software update is wrong and I’m pretty sure Apple has the legal obligation to rectify this.
anyway I suggest to speak to a solicitor for advice before paying to the repair.

Downgraded to Catalina, still having the same problem, battery stuck at 1% and not charging, unplug and macbook dies, fix this Apple! Mac was working perfectly fine before upgrading to Big Sur.