After Installing MacOS Big Sur latest beta update, My mac is showing battery service required warning in battery Icon.

Hi, I installed and update the macOS Big Sur latest available beta and after installation is done, It is showing me battery service required warning in my battery icon, My mac is new and it's been hardly 5-6 months and used casually.
Exactly the same here - just running Safari and my MacBook 2019 is insanely hot with constantly spinning fans. This never happened before...
2016 15” MB Pro with the same issue, installed Big Sur and my battery life went to hell and it didn’t charge at all last night. Strangely took a few days to reach this point, not immediately after install. Currently trying the SMC and PRAM resets to no avail.
Hey all, I followed the steps the customer service person told me about clearing the SMC and NVRAM and also adjusted a setting in Chrome and it seems to have solved both the battery draining and fan coming on issue. Give it a go:

Clearing SMC: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295
Clearing NVRAM: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063
Chrome setting: Noticed that the Activity Monitor shows Chrome Helper running as the main thing taking up loads of CPU resources. You can force quit it in Activity Monitor but it comes back so you can make it not eat up your CPU it by following instructions on google to disable Chrome Helper. (Note: Chrome still works even if you force quit this in your activity monitor)

Hope that helps :)
When I'm on Safari my fan goes crazy, even when I'm playing a game it isn't this much. Also my battery is charging so slow since the update. It says that 1 and 24 minutes for a full charge when it is 78%.
installed big sur went from a great battery life to watching the percentage fall by the minute (or quicker). This when only doing a little light browsing. no video no complicated calculation.

When battery was highlighted in the beta testing how could Apple do this? It seems their marketing calendar beats any consideration for their users.

run into problems with overheating and battery draining fast since big sur update as well.
checked acitivity monitor, turns out a process named secd is mainly the reason, constantly using my CPU >50%.
found out it is somehow linked to the keychain.

deleting the local keychain and restarting solved the problem for me - no battery drain any more. (read this: waal70blog.wordpress.com/2019/12/16/accountsd-and-secd-high-cpu-usage-on-catalina/). I would only have to type in all passwords for internet accounts and set touch ID again. make sure you use icloud keychain to not lose any important passwords.

anyway, before you do this, check your activity monitor. every new installation forces spotlight to index, wich could also account to high CPU usage. But this should not last longer than a few days.
The same problem after Big Sur, the battery drains after 3-4 hours of use.
Macbook pro 16 2019
Exactly the same problem. Laptop doesn't even last 5 hours now.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
Same here.

My MacBook Pro 15” (2015), would last about 2.5 hours connected to my Thunderbolt Display as I worked.

After updating to macOS Big Sur, I noticed that the battery was draining really fast and decided to use my timer to track how long it would last with a full-charge. Within an 1hr & 26mins my battery was at 16%. It took 4 HOURS to recharge.

I then tested to see how long it would last without the Thunderbolt Display, and just one chrome window open with a YouTube video running. The battery went down to 30% by 1hr.

it’s like a flashback to when people called them out for purposely making older iPhones run slower, and run out of battery faster with the latest iOS updates.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) 250GB available of 1TB .

Installed Big Sur 4 days ago and since then
  • overheating and fan running more often

• a process named Kernelmanagerd using CPU between 60 to 70%

• battery draining faster than before

• battery pref. showing message : "the battery's capacity is significantly reduced. To restore capacity, please check your service options"

Apple support team recommends to change the battery and go back to Catalina as Big Sur not mature enough..., but not sure it will solv my issues ( By the way as I didn't make any back up, going back to Catalina should make me lose the last 3 three weeks of work...)
I have this same issue after my update, So stupid.. some problem arises update after update. better don't release an update.
Hi,

Macbook Pro, early 2015.

Experienced the same problem with overheating, battery drainage and slow charging.

I have resolved the overheating as suggested by thetorien 2 days ago.
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/655506?answerId=648568022#648568022

In Activity Monitor sdec process used <60% of CPU. Followed instructions on link suggested by him and resolved the overheating.

Did not resolve the still significant battery drainage (better than immediately after update though!) and slow charging...
My battery status still indicates that Battery Service is recommended.

BRG,
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) 250GB available of 1TB .

as per previous post installed Big Sur 4 days ago and since then
  • overheating and fan running more often

• a process named Kernelmanagerd using CPU between 60 to 70%

• battery draining faster than before

• battery pref. showing message : "the battery's capacity is significantly reduced. To restore capacity, please check your service options"

Solutions found
Managed to remove the process named Kernelmanagerd by removing Malwarebytes. Now CPU is less loaded, and the fan also.
Battery drainage is partially solved, but I still have the message asking for a change of the battery that has now a full charge capacity of 4823mA only.

Seems that Big Sur has a bad impact on the battery... It reminds me what Apple did with iPhones, when they introduced new iOS that reduced battery lifes...
MacBook Pro 15” i9 (2019) model.

Since updating to Big Sur, my battery manages to hold for just 4-5 hours (no change in applications being used)! Before I could easily get 10-12 hours on Catalina!!

Also, everytime I plug it in to the mains, it says “battery is not charged”.... APPLE sort this out!
Having the same issue with battery draining on an early 2015 Macbook Air that I got in early 2017. It drained 40% in 2 hours just running Firefox whilst before it would only drain 15% an hour. This is incredibly reminiscent of the battery draining they did with iPhones. Really hoping this is just an honest bug.
2020 13 Inch Macbook pro, battery used to last 2 days on minimal usage --> safari, pdfs, word documents, etc.
Now it gets drained in 5-6 hours. Really regretting downloading big sur.

Does anyone think downgrading would solve the problem?
Late 2016 macbook pro, Big Sur sucks, update drains battery by the minute. Can hardly get 3 hours on full charge. The UI is great but Apple needs to do better with the battery drain with OS upgrades. Catalina 10.15.2 had Automatic Graphics Switching issues which caused flickering screens all the time hence had to update.
I've installed the Big Sur 11.0.1 later today. Now I have considerable problems with temperature and battery performance. My MacBook 15'2019 having temp >50C even browsing Safari. It cost me 5% to write this review... Does everyone else have noticed something similar to my issue?
I am also facing the same issue, I am also facing issue with my touchid.
2017 15-inch MacBook Pro, four USB-C ports. Same issue as everyone else. I upgraded last night, my battery ran down to nothing in about an hour. And now it's telling me it's going to take 10 hours plus to recharge.

This is not good. What should we do? Go back down?
I am having an identical issue with my brand new 16" MacBook Pro. I have everything plugged in but says 4+ hours to charge. before I upgraded to bigsur that took about an hour and 40min...
After Big Sur upgrade, my late-2013 15" Macbook Pro also has very, very bad battery life (now I get about 1/3 of what I was getting before) and the laptop is HOT to the touch, even after just charging, and although my house is very, very cold. I just tried resetting the SMC but just in the time it's taken to type this post I've lost about 3-4% battery life! YIKES!
On day 1 of the public release of the final version of Big Sur, I updated my MBP 2016 (4 ports, Touch Bar). Installed great, but while making a video call, the system shut off completely. Battery drained while on the charger, but it failed to charge. Battery service required. Reset SMC, PRAM, went back to Catalina, but no success. Reinstalled Big Sur. No improvement. As soon as I unplug the cable, it dies. Diagnose gives PPT006.
I was advised to send it in, which I did. I’ve been offered a 750€ repair, while the trade-in value is only 460. And I just tried to install Big Sur on a machine that ran flawless until then.

I do hope Apple acknowledges there’s a big problem with Big Sur and offers a reasonable follow-up.
Same issue but kind of different. After updating Big sur, I can't fully charge my mac even though I always charge it. It shows that the battery is 80%. Yah, it stops here. I even don't know why.

I tried to update the new version of big sur, but I failed because I met new version installment problem. So it seems like dead loop. I regretted updating big sur from Cato.
Same here, 2020 MacBook Air. Having anywhere from one to two thirds my normal battery life. What was 10-11 hours with Catalina is now 3-6 with Big Sur. We can only hope 11.1 fixes this.
After Installing MacOS Big Sur latest beta update, My mac is showing battery service required warning in battery Icon.

Q