Can't save gifs anymore ios 14?

Can't save gifs, it just saves frame of it as a photo.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Dxmachina Down vote post of Dxmachina
85k views
  • Hello!!! Same problem here! please fix this!

• https://ezgif.com

i had the same issue and used a “static” gif that was saved with just 1 frame on this site and it recognized it as a gif with the missing frames to, i wonder if it has to do with the photos app itself not displaying gifs properly? ive also noticed that i cant upload transparent bg images to discord without it loosing transparency and if your transparent image is too small (talking 100 x 100) then it also looses transparency but that one doesnt repost with transparency unlike this gif situation (however when i uploaded the small image with lost transparency to a photo editing/art app on my phone it DID upload with a transparent bg so idk what the deal is)

Add a Comment

Replies

Having the same issue accept mine doesn’t work in Chrome or Safari. Really annoying and have no idea what started it.
I've had the same issue since upgrading to ios 14. Obviously Apple already knows about this problem. The least they could do is acknowledge the problem and at least come out with a statement. But they are being their usual pomp *** selves.
Same issue; has not been resolved! No workaround!
I'm a software developer, so I installed iOS14 Beta early to make sure everything was working fine.
After a few beta updates this issue wasn't fixed, so I sent some feedback to Apple where I described this issue.
I sent this feedback the 24/7-2020, so if they actually read what their beta testers send to them, they should have known.
I thought I figured it out but it only works on certain sites. Hopefully they fix this Issue soon.
  • 1 - iOS 14.0.1 has same defect

This is ridiculous. Something as simple as this and there’s no solution. I already commented but frustration has taken over.
Using Chrome, I just save the image to Dropbox (using the box with the arrow pointing up on to top right of the screen). Then I just download it to my phone from there.
Very frustrating. Chrome doesn’t allow you to save photos from a google gif image search. However I’ve had success doing a google gif image search using Safari.

Search for a gif using google image search on Safari. Find the gif you want and press and hold on the gif. You’ll have three options of ‘share’, ‘add to photos’ and ‘copy’. Select ‘Add to photos’ and the gif downloads and appears in photos as a gif. You are then able to use as normal.
I think this was done on purpose time to file lawsuits against Apple again!
So I might have figured out what is going on. It seems like they are now saved as .webp files, which is shown as a regular photo on our devices.
I have tried saving a gif which ends up on my phone without animations, then go to a webp to gif online converter and uploaded the photo. Once the photo is converted to a gif, I can save it to my photos again which then seems to save it as a gif with and shows the animation.

Apple why would I want to save my gif as an webp-file where it doesn't show the animation on my device? If I save a gif I want it to play the animation when I look at it. You need to do better on this.
Same. please fix this. I want to revert to the 13.... Why some s-t-u-p-i-d proprietary extension?
it’s strange that the can’t seem to find more discussions about this out there. It seems like a huge issue that would annoy a lot of people. I sure hope it’s fixed soon.
Same issue here.

Just updated to 14.0.1, cannot save them as a GIF. The only option is to "add them to photos" and they save a picture.

Any sort of workaround with different browsers or anything yet?
It won’t work if you use Chrome, but will work if you use Safari. Just another one of those things that makes me want to switch back to Samsung Galaxy. Aside from that issue, Apple still hasn’t figured out how to provide a sufficient way to select/copy/paste; something that has never been a problem on Android devices.