Can't save gifs anymore ios 14?

Can't save gifs, it just saves frame of it as a photo.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Dxmachina Down vote post of Dxmachina
85k views
  • Hello!!! Same problem here! please fix this!

• https://ezgif.com

i had the same issue and used a “static” gif that was saved with just 1 frame on this site and it recognized it as a gif with the missing frames to, i wonder if it has to do with the photos app itself not displaying gifs properly? ive also noticed that i cant upload transparent bg images to discord without it loosing transparency and if your transparent image is too small (talking 100 x 100) then it also looses transparency but that one doesnt repost with transparency unlike this gif situation (however when i uploaded the small image with lost transparency to a photo editing/art app on my phone it DID upload with a transparent bg so idk what the deal is)

Add a Comment

Replies

TO EVERYONE:

this has been a problem for the past FOUR updates. I’m assuming people having a problem missed the last few updates and was running a previous ios before this happened. That’s correct, FOUR updates later and still no fix for this very simple thing. I, along with over 200 people on another thread have complained about this and put in several requests to the customer service email and technician email about this problem. I have even contacted Apple live chat and contacted them over the phone and all they say is ‘we are very sorry about this, please contact the various emails’ and so we all did, with no prevail. As a lot of people are saying, for phones which are over $1000, 5x the price of other phones, thi really is poor, and a complete joke. Shows they only care about the absolute newest phones in their range, and not about all the other millions of loyal customers. Smh.
  • I’m guessing that 9 months later, as I find myself shovelling treacle in this thread, with having recently bought several brand new devices, this still has not been fixed? The rotten 🍏 remains in the barrel

Add a Comment
I’m sure someone has brought this up but if you download the GIPHY app you can copy and paste gifs from there. Annoying solve but fixed it for me.
It hasn‘t just been a problem with the last four updates its been a problem since at least 14.0 public beta 2 (don‘t know about public beta 1). It’s not even a bug just a missing feature of playing animated webp images in the fotos app.

In my opinion it should really just convert them into gifs when downloading them...
I'm also having this issue. Brand new SE and latest update. Apple, please fix!!
Yep, been having this problem for a wile now and it’s pretty dang annoying!
Same here!! How’s that possible? Sounds like a prank Lol they should fix this over April 1st 2021

Don't know if this is the fix, but I had the same issue...unable to save gifs. I went into settings photos..and turned off the optimize photos setting, and switched to storage of originals on my device. I have plenty of local storage so I choose to keep originals on my phone. I was able to save gifs to photos again and attach them to forum posts etc as gifs...not the still shot.
I think I figured out what the issue is. If your photo storage is close to capacity after the IOS 14 update it won’t save GIFs.
HERE IS THE FIX

This is a problem with Chrome, it’s the browser itself not iOS.

The fix is to not use Chrome to save gifs, use safari or try another browser.
Can confirm that Safari works to save gifs. It's a Chrome issue.
It’s not Chrome. Gifs don’t save in Safari, this is the only browser I use. iOS 14.2 saves a still frame from the gif to the camera roll.
Some sites are fine, others don’t work.
move tried all work arounds mentioned in this thread. They do not work.
Like I said earlier the file format .gif works just fine no matter the browser, the problem lies in animated .webp files for which Safari support has been added in ios 14 and many websites are now switching to. Unfortunately the fotos app didn't get the same treatment...
This problem is not related to the photos app nor ios14! But it's related to the web browser. Chrome (and other browsers like opera torch, edge, Firefox, brave and...) had this annoying problem even in earlier iOS version (ios13). Safari was ok in iOS 13 but in ios14 besides of can't save animated GIF, it has performance issues when you view or save a GIF.
And in this situation, the solution is to use Maxthon or Aloha Web browser.
It’s not related to Chrome. Happens in. All browsers
I too, STILL can’t save gifs! Will this ever be fixed?