Can't save gifs anymore ios 14?

Can't save gifs, it just saves frame of it as a photo.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Dxmachina Down vote post of Dxmachina
86k views
  • Hello!!! Same problem here! please fix this!

• https://ezgif.com

i had the same issue and used a “static” gif that was saved with just 1 frame on this site and it recognized it as a gif with the missing frames to, i wonder if it has to do with the photos app itself not displaying gifs properly? ive also noticed that i cant upload transparent bg images to discord without it loosing transparency and if your transparent image is too small (talking 100 x 100) then it also looses transparency but that one doesnt repost with transparency unlike this gif situation (however when i uploaded the small image with lost transparency to a photo editing/art app on my phone it DID upload with a transparent bg so idk what the deal is)

Add a Comment

Replies

I found a simple on device work around that doesn't require any additional software or apps. Instead of considering the GIF to be an animated PHOTO, instead think of it as a FILE. So instead of selecting the 'Add to Photos' option we need to select the 'Download Linked File' option. Once it's downloaded as a file, open it in the iOS FILES app and then 'Share' it and 'Save Image.'

Browsing gifs from the Google Image search page won't normally give you an option to 'Download Linked File' so you'll need to click 'Visit' to go to the web page where the photo is actually being displayed.
  • this worked!! GIF now moves on my photos app

Add a Comment
VERY SIMPLE !!! Use SAFARI ...... thats it
Still not fixed

It took me forever to figure out how to download GIFs onto my phone but i think i have the answear.

Instead using Safari or Chrome, use instead the Google app. Like go to App Store and download Google onto your phone. And on there you search for the gif you like and hold down on the image where you can download the picture

Now it should work and actaully move like a GIF should you know? Hope this helps someone out there :)))

Can no longer save gifs from Pinterest either /: *** apple

Figured out a workaround.

This was just happening to me using the Google Search app. I used to be able to long press > download and it would save to photos.

From the Google app I clicked the 3 dots and selected “share” then chose “open in chrome.” Once in Chrome, I long pressed on the gif and chose download and it saved to my phone. (You may need to give Chrome “add only” permissions for photos in settings but it should prompt you)

Launch the Shortcuts app on your iPhone, then tap on the "Gallery" tab. Tap on the search field, type "GIF," then find and select “Convert Photos to GIF” or “Burst to GIF”  from the list.

If you want to save a properly animating GIF from Chrome in iOS 14+, this is how. It's an ugly, cumbersome, but reliable solution. If you don't follow these instructions precisely, it will not work. If you do, it will.

1. Go to the webpage containing the animated GIF you want to save. Hold and press on the animated GIF you want to save and select "Open Image in New Tab". A new Chrome tab will open, and the URL for the new tab should be the actual image and nothing else.

2. Inside this new tab (again, which should show the image and image URL all by itself and nothing else) hold and press and then select "Copy" in the small black menu that says "Copy | Look Up". Do NOT select "Copy Image" in the other large menu that pops up from the bottom of the screen - it will not work. You MUST select "Copy" from the black popup menu.

3. Next, open the Messages App and Paste the GIF into a text message to yourself. Send it.

4. Tap once on the GIF you sent to yourself so you are working with just the GIF. In the lower Left of the screen, there is a Share icon. Tap it and select "Save Image".

You will now see the fully animating GIF in your Photos and can reuse whenever you want.

Has Apple answered anyone about fixing this? It’s been 10 months and it looks like this was never resolved 😭

My iPhone stopped saving gifs all of a sudden I didn’t do anything. I tried everything above. I reset the iphone, nothing changed. I sent myself the last gif I saved, it moves on iMessage. But it doesn’t move any other apps it looks like a still image and it doesn’t look like it’s a gif on the Photos app (camera roll) either.

That’s a big problem it’s annoying af. Why nobody cares to reply here? It’s been happening to other people for over a year but nobody cares. Awesome.

as one person posted, all you need to do:

1. long press the GIF that you want to save
  2. choose "DOWNLOAD LINKED FILE" instead of "add to photos" or "copy".
  3. Once its downloaded, open the file and press the share button (the box with an arrow pointing up)
  4. then choose "save image".

now go to your photos app and the GIF should be moving and not just a still. it's just a bit of a hassle but its a workaround.

The answer is clearly, "Apple always does what it wants regardless of customer preference, and expects us to say, 'Thank you sir may I have another.'"

iOS 15.2. Issue still persist. This is some basic level functionality that is not working. How to reproduce the bug:

1. Open safari.
  2. Search for anything in Google.
  3. Navigate to a gif in images search results.
  4. Wait for gif to fully load.
  5. Long press on gif.
  6. Tap on «Save to photos» button.
  7. Open photos app.
  8. Realize that you have a single frame of animation.

Solutions:

1. Save as many frames as your GIF have. Using third party software compile a video from these frames. Save results as a gif or mp4.

2. Record your screen to have HD version of your GIF.

This is my workaround UNTIL APPLE DECIDES TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

If you have FB messenger.. send the gif to yourself. Save the gif from messenger to your photos. Use EZGIF to turn it into a gif. Done.

ANOTHER SOFTWARE ISSUE that started with IOS 15.1 is when you select the file in EZGIF from your photos I get a message ‘downloading from icloud’. I do not use the icloud AT ALL. I have to redo the select file and then it works. It an intermittent thing.. Sometimes I get it on the first shot and sometimes I don’t. Really annoying. Sorry I upgraded.

I’m currently dealing with this too and it’s very frustrating. I wonder if it’s a bug or a “fix”, I missed the wave for the live wallpaper craze