Share extension - App not showing in share menu on first attempt since iOS 14

Something weird seems to start happening after upgrade to Xcode 12 and iOS 14.

App use to show fine in share menu option before, but suddenly it is acting weirdly and only showing on second attempt onwards.

My aim is to get web page url. Here's my share activation rule.

Code Block
<key>NSExtension</key>
<dict>
<key>NSExtensionAttributes</key>
<dict>
<key>NSExtensionActivationRule</key>
<dict>
<key>NSExtensionActivationSupportsText</key>
<true/>
<key>NSExtensionActivationSupportsWebPageWithMaxCount</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>NSExtensionActivationSupportsWebURLWithMaxCount</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
<key>NSExtensionJavaScriptPreprocessingFile</key>
<string>fetch</string>
</dict>
<key>NSExtensionMainStoryboard</key>
<string>MainInterface</string>
<key>NSExtensionPointIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.share-services</string>
</dict>

I have even tried on new project and added share extension with activation rule above. It also does the same, and app only show in share option from second time onwards. This issue mainly happening in Safari.

It used to work fine before iOS 14, i also didn't find anything in iOS 14 change log regarding share extension that can cause the issue. Can anyone help me pointing out where it could be wrong or some possible reason.

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

I have same problem. Share extension is missing in safari share sheet and in app share sheet. Any updates regarding the issue ?
I was having this issue and it appears that after restarting my test device the extension shows up. I'm not sure if this behaviour persists after publishing the app to the App Store.
This is still happening today iOS 14.4 (Chrome and Safari).

Opening the share sheet twice solves this. Very frustrating.
I found a way to consistently reproduce this on iOS 14.4.1. If I go to a certain URL (which I would post, but the developer forum software will not allow it), then my sharing action in Safari doesn't show up the first time you open the share sheet, but does show up the second time you open it. This URL has an anchor on the end of it (i.e., it ends with a hash symbol followed by some text).

If I got to the same URL with the anchor removed from the end of it, my sharing action shows up the first time I open the share sheet.

I have filed FB8889913.
I have seen similar issues when sharing from the Music app. Some users reported that my action extension disappeared from the share sheet, and the only way to make it reappear is to restart the phone.
I also receive a lot of reports that my action extension disappeared after app updates. This is reported up to 14.4.1. A restart of the device always solves this issue.

I already filed a bug report some weeks ago. Really frustrating.
Yes, we are seeing the same problem after app updates. Many of our users have to restart their devices to see our extension. These problems have been going on since iOS 14.0 was released. They never happened on iOS 13.x. I have filed FB8889913 and FB9045442 and have been hoping with each 14.x release that it will be fixed, but it still happens on 14.4.1.
This is still affecting live users on iOS 14.4.2.

Kinda crazy this is still ongoing.

Has anyone had a reply from Apple on their bugs? (happy to file another, but just wondering)

I filed a bug report on this (via Feedback Assistant) in November 2020 and never heard a thing back.

Still nothing here and still affecting our apps on latest iOS.

Has anyone had an update on Apple bug tickets they have submitted?

Has anyone seen any improvements here or feedback from bugs they have submitted to Apple?

I filed FB9045442 about this, and now Feedback Assistant says "Resolution: Potential fix identified - In iOS 15".

Brilliant! I can't access that Feedback submission for some reason, but encouraging news...