Safari and super slow after Big Sur update

I updated to Big Sur this morning and Safari is almost unusable due to being super slow

cleared cache, extensions. Doesn’t help

any ideas?
  • I'm having this problem too on several Macs, but sporadically. I've noticed that when it occurs, that umount appears in the Activity Monitor spiked at 100% cpu. I am unable to kill the process even with force quit or kill -9. After the process eventually crashes, safari goes back to normal.

If anyone else is still experiencing this issue, can you check your activity monitor to see if umount is running?

• TLDR; Try disabling Time Machine or removing faulty Time Machine targets.

After working on this for awhile, I think I've figure out what's causing the issue that I'm seeing with umount and Safari. Each time that umount is stuck and Safari is non-responsive, Time Machine was failing to access a disk over the network. I've seen it both with a Synology Time Machine share and a Mac OS Server Time Machine share. Removing the faulty Time Machine target or disabling Time Machine altogether appears to result in the issue no longer happening. I hope that this helps at least some of you.

Add a Comment

Replies

Same issue-MBP mid 20
Same here MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019).
edit : back to normal using safari technology preview ... The loss is thus decreased as bookmarks and passwords from Safari are conserved.
Well.. I did an NVRAM restart (cmd+opt+P+R) - and it solved the issue! as well as re-setting the SMC on my 2015 MacBook Air..

Wow.. that fixed it all..

My MacBook Air has also been getting very very hot since updating to Big Sur.. will see if the above re-sets fixed that as well.

Hope this helps all.

same here, pages froze when switching between tabs
MBP 15 - 2018 i7 2,2GHz 16GB RAM

My problem was : open video in "preview" mode was lagging has hell, the video wasn't fluid and during this time the Touch Bar was just UNUSUABLE. In general all app that need "graphic" like PowerPoint, open a PDF in preview... was lagging...a lot.

I fixed it, how I did ?

I reset my Mac last night (factory settings), then reinstall the os, clear the SMC, the NVRAM, the problem was still here (bad news).

The first "solution" is to force the graphic card to work all the time, "Settings" -> "Battery" -> "automatic switching of graphics" But the Mac is getting hot because of the graphic card, and consume the battery life, it works but it's not ideal. 

The second solution (the one works for me) is to go to "setting" -> "monitor" and change the scale, try to see if it's better, if yes, then restart your Mac, and normally you should be fine !

Hope it works for you ! ⚙️
This is kind of ironic - Safari is okay for me, but Chrome is now 100% unusable. Tried all sorts of versions - release 87, beta 88, Chromium dev.

Same exact issue as described in this thread - animated ads seem to be the trigger.

It’s okay on startup until a JS-heavy page causes it to slow down. ETRADE, ESPN, etc plus ad-laden blogs.
Safari Technology Preview bumped the speed back up to more normal levels for me. However, I'm still a little dismayed by scrolling performance in Safari for certain websites (such as Google Docs), which has more chop than I would like.
Since updating to Big Sur, Safari is not working properly.
Pages often stalls. Closing Safari and opening again, fixes the stall.
Playing videos in ex. Youtube often stutters. Video will freeze, with sound often continuing, and then video will fast forward.
As with the stalls, closing Safari and opening the Youtube link again, fixes it.
I have now switched to Chrome, until this gets fixed.
Same problem here, Safari is very slow after upgrade to Big Sur.
Same issue. Since Big Sur v11.2.3, Safari slow on loading pages and even freezes. I did everything (deleting cache, history, extensions, preferences. Changed network options, DNS...) nothing fixed the issue. Meanwhile, Firefox and Chrome work fine.
I have the same problems
Like freezing the Safari window when submitting a form, trying to enter the password in the login forms and typing the url in the address bar.
Same problem here. I testing different apps now and seemingly everything is faster than Safari. What most bothers me is that often as I click on taps the whole website must refresh again.

I have the same problem. I have very fast optic fiber connection, so it's not the problem.  I did an NVRAM restart (cmd+opt+P+R) - and it solved the issue but for how long?

Mac mini (late 2014) 16 gigs memory. Big Sur 11.3

Did the Nvram boot, and it made it all better (not 100%, but the typing on the bar, and loading previous websites are MUCH better now ...) .. 2019 MBP i9 16GB Ram