Safari and super slow after Big Sur update

I updated to Big Sur this morning and Safari is almost unusable due to being super slow

cleared cache, extensions. Doesn’t help

any ideas?
  • I'm having this problem too on several Macs, but sporadically. I've noticed that when it occurs, that umount appears in the Activity Monitor spiked at 100% cpu. I am unable to kill the process even with force quit or kill -9. After the process eventually crashes, safari goes back to normal.

If anyone else is still experiencing this issue, can you check your activity monitor to see if umount is running?

• TLDR; Try disabling Time Machine or removing faulty Time Machine targets.

After working on this for awhile, I think I've figure out what's causing the issue that I'm seeing with umount and Safari. Each time that umount is stuck and Safari is non-responsive, Time Machine was failing to access a disk over the network. I've seen it both with a Synology Time Machine share and a Mac OS Server Time Machine share. Removing the faulty Time Machine target or disabling Time Machine altogether appears to result in the issue no longer happening. I hope that this helps at least some of you.

Add a Comment

Replies

Same here, as soon as some animated ads appear, Safari is virtually unusable. MacBook Pro 2018.
  • Just another person still having the same issue. MBP2020 Big Sur 11.5 Notice it mainly on BBC website - but doesn't happen when using chrome or Samsung phone/browser on same wifi.

Add a Comment
Hi,
The same to me.
I upgraded my MacBook Pro to OS Big Sur yesterday. Since then I can no longer access a certain website on Safari - the browser loads and loads and loads ......
If I call up the same website on Firefox (it is not my standard browser) without problems.

There are no problems on my other iOS devices either.
Likewise, all (!) other websites can be opened on Safari as usual and without problems.

I have already contacted the owner of the website concerned (service provider). He confirmed to me that in-house tests on Big Sur were successful.

Do you know the problem or do you have a solution?
Same for me. Safari is unusable on BigSur. My wifi is ok, my iOS devices have no problems, and both Chrome and Firefox work well on my MacBook Pro (2019).
So it doesn't sound like an isolated incident - Apple should actually react to that
Hi there,

Exactly same problem here: Safary is completely unusable after big sur upgrade from cata on a MBP2018. No problems with firefox dev ed, chrome or brave.

I have just reinstalled again as sugested by an apple tech, but no luck...

I also think that there are other problems related to this one: for instance, programs like VSCode does not start inmediately. It seems that they try to stablish a tcp connection but they cannot, so there is a 10 secs time frame, even more, before the application continues loading :S. Really frustrating!

I hope it get solved somehow, but I think even apple care techs do not know how to isolate and handle the problem.
Same happened with my MBP (mid 2019),I thought it was due to some problem with ad blocker, but even after disabling extensions, clearing cache and everything problem persists. Has anyone aslo experienced problem on Youtube, the comment section is stuck making it very tough to scroll on it with safari. Everything worls normal on other browsers tho. Hoping apple will fix this coz safari is very battery efficient giving those few extra hours over chrome.
I'm having the same problem. Safari has been unusable since updating to Big Sur. I've tried everything and it seems others are having the same problem. Has anyone had any luck?

I am having the exact same problem with my MBP 2018.
Has anyone found a solution other than changing to chrome or firefox?
Same problem here.. had to start using other browser because safari became so unreliable.
I just updated Big Sur this last week and I am having the same problem listed in the other comments. I am going to FireFox which is working fine. Also my time machine is having problems doing backups and that really bothers me.
Same. Chrome is zippy as usual but Safari can take > 15 seconds to load many websites. Like zero activity for 14 seconds, then boom the whole page comes in the next second.
Hi,

I´ve the solution, Net --> Wifi --> Advanced --> Proxy --> unckeck automatic proxy detection.

• does not work

• Worked for me! Thanks!

• This worked, thanks.

Jagonzal reply did the trick instantly.
Net --> Wifi --> Advanced --> Proxy --> unckeck automatic proxy detection

Thanks!
Solved!

Got a new MBP16" and had the same issue (Safari is slow while Chrome flys)

What I did:
  1. In safari Preference -> General, Changed the "New {window, tab} opens with" to "Empty Page"

2. Emptyed the cache (cmd+opt+T)

3. Quit and reopend Safari

That did not solve it. I also tried remove website data and reopening without success.

Eventually i did an NVRAM restart (cmd+opt+P+R) - and it solved the issue!

I'm not sure if the initial steps were essential for the fix, or if changing the "opens with" back will cause the issue again, but for now things are flying :)

I have the same issue and the NVRAM reset didn't work.